Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat random question, but how does your crew, group or club communicate with each other on-line? Facebook is fine for the here and now, but awful for keeping an archive of easily accessible info and discussions. Google Groups is not exactly what I'm looking for either. Forget just using email too... the new "lost in the mail" syndrome. Is anyone using an on-line forum/message board (like MTBR, or the like?). Any suggestions for a format that is easy to use and free to not terribly expensive?

Thanks~

·
*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
854 Posts
Somewhat random question, but how does your crew, group or club communicate with each other on-line? Facebook is fine for the here and now, but awful for keeping an archive of easily accessible info and discussions. Google Groups is not exactly what I'm looking for either. Forget just using email too... the new "lost in the mail" syndrome. Is anyone using an on-line forum/message board (like MTBR, or the like?). Any suggestions for a format that is easy to use and free to not terribly expensive?

Thanks~
We've created our own phpBB style Forum on our Club's website.
SHORTHILLS CYCLING CLUB FORUM
The Club Forum is also set up with the Tapatalk plugin for easier mobile use of our Forum.

We have also been using BBM for quick contacts between individuals or groups and their smart phones.
BBM works well as a free secure cross-platform instant messaging service and currently is on all smartphone except windows phone which is scheduled to have the app available very soon.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,431 Posts
We use a combination of a blog-type website news feed (RSS capable), web forum on our site, e-mail communications (mostly direct, but also newsletters), and Facebook. We recently added Google Calendars as a component of our communications strategy. If we only use one component, there will definitely be some people left out of the loop. We just started organizing a committee to work on communications, also. Our club has a Twitter feed, also, but it hasn't been used in nearly a year (it was set up to automatically post but that automation broke and whoever was managing it never fixed it).

There are some social riding groups in town that organize exclusively on Facebook. I try to pay attention to what they do and sometimes ride with them, but there are so many various interests competing with your attention on Facebook that I find it difficult to focus on keeping up with a specific group there.

·
Off the back...
2,278 Posts
Intra-club communication is handled largely through email, with a few distribution lists for smaller groups or special projects. Google Calendar, Facebook, Twitter and our website are used to communicate with the public at large, not as internal tools. Any shared documents go in a Google drive space, and are shared on an as-needed basis. Email is good because it creates an audit trail. If there's an action item, we ask for follow up on completion.

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! So much to look into...

I clicked on some of your chapter pages/forums... very nice! I'm envious. On a side note, I dig the trail status color chart on the Hoosier MTB page! Nice work :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Our (CORP IMBA Chapter) has a private area in our forum for board members and trail stewards. In addition we use a product called "Basecamp" that is a web-based project management application. We have a division where task, business, file repository are done with Basecamp and use the forum for discussion of items that are somewhat private like planning or discussing projects and events not yet in the public. Basecamp allows us to bring someone not on the board or not a trail steward into the conversation for a particular task.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts