Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATTENTION BENDITES & anyone else that is interested:

I work for a bicycle/pedestrian planning/design firm in PDX and we are venturing into possibly creating a mtn bike signage plan to connect the limited trails we have here in PDX. (Forest Park, Powell Butte, Mt Tabor, Oaks Bottom, and any where else that has legal singletrack). We are also trying to get more singletrack built in Forest Park. The last time I went to Bend, it seemed as though the city is filled with inner city single track that connect and lead to great riding especially to Phil's Trail System.

Do any of you out there have any images of signage for mtn bike trails within a city city or any feedback that could help out. Thanks.

·
love my Simonds 519
215 Posts
Unless my 100k topos are wrong Phil's trailhead lies just inside the Descutes National Forest. Not exactly inner city. I can only think of four or five trails in Bend proper; First Street north of town (similar to the trail on the east side of the Willamette from downtown sout), the paved path along Skyliner out to Shevlin, Shevlin itself (notionally equivalent to forest park), the path along the irrigation canal, and arguably the multi-use trail on the east side of the Deschutes south of Farewell Bend. None of them have any biker oriented signs that I can remember. Everything else is the usual side of the road bike paths without any route info, though somebody did come along and paint interesting headgear on most of ODOT's standard biker icons.

A better model may actually be Bellevue, east of Seattle, which has a fair number of dedicated bike paths with IIRC occasional boards showing you where you are in the system. I haven't ridden there since 2003, though I recall King County had pretty good online maps of the bike network. I think Portland has the same thing, so one place to start might be thinking about getting that info reproduced on some signs.

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
path leading to Phil's System

Thanks for the info. I've only ridden in Bend once and as I was driving from downtown to Phil's I noticed a lot off off road paths (singletrack) leading up to Phil's along the highway. I also read in a book you can ride from downtown tp Phils via mostly sigletrack. I did not ride this but from reading your replys, there is not any signage designating actual mtn bike routes in the city I take it. I will dfinitely check out Bellevue's though.

·
Registered
18,595 Posts
I think a lot of the 1-track that used to lead out from downtown is now developed. Most of the neighborhoods built paved paths though, and the bike lanes are wide.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
Interesting idea.

I'm really bummed that the small trail section in Oak's Bottom is now illegal to ride (along with the trails next to the river). I have no idea why, I never saw/experienced any user conflict. :madman:
I have had the idea of doing a group poker ride/beer venture connecting the singletrack options we have. I do this sort of riding a lot, and it can be quite the loop.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hagen,

There are two different markers used currently used for trails around Bend, that I can think of. The Bend Parks & Rec Dept uses a blue square marker on cement posts that denotes their trails like the "urban" sections of the river trail and some token sections of trail that remain on Aubrey Butte. There's not much in the way of icons you might want to use, just simply their logo...

Now the Phil's trail system uses signs done by the FS. Those are Central Oregon moon-dust colored and are mounted on 6x6 posts that are numbered throughout the (Phil's) Triangle. Again no icons. Back in the day, they used carsonite signs which had a little biker emblem on them and a trail number or route number. Some of those are still out in the system and make for some fun bonus mileage for visiting riders. The carsonite posts are those fiberglass things the FS is fond of using for road numbers and the like.

Hope this is of some help.
Crash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.