Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Shift less, Pedal more.
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this interesting. Thought I would share...

One study concerning injury and fatal accidents conducted by ADOT, as reported in this article, found that;
• Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
• Half occurred when a car was turning right and half when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
• One third involved a bicycle on the sidewalk

Entire article Arizona bike-safety plan aimed at cutting fatalities

Flag police report: “Be a Roll Model� FLAGSTAFF BIKING ORGANIZATION and Flagstaff PD

I live in Flagstaff and have seen both cars and bikes to blame. One thing that really gets me is almost getting hit by someone on a bike, when I'm walking on the sidewalk. I see people riding bikes against traffic on both San Francisco and Beaver. I see people biking in the road, when there is a perfectly good, and safer, urban trail 5 feet away from them.

But with all the people that have had contact with a car while on their bike in the last couple months, I can see why the sidewalk bike traffic has increased.

Flagstaff is considered a Bike Friendly City, that doesn't mean you can ride your bike anywhere you like, you might end up getting hit by a car. And no matter who had the "right of way," the car usually wins.

"I don't walk in the bike lane, so don't ride on the sidewalk" by Me.

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
I found this interesting. Thought I would share...

One study concerning injury and fatal accidents conducted by ADOT, as reported in this article, found that;
• Half involved a bike or motorist failing to yield, with cars twice as often to blame as bikes.
• Half occurred when a car was turning right and half when a bike traveled counter to traffic.
• One third involved a bicycle on the sidewalk

Entire article Arizona bike-safety plan aimed at cutting fatalities

Flag police report: “Be a Roll Model� FLAGSTAFF BIKING ORGANIZATION and Flagstaff PD

I live in Flagstaff and have seen both cars and bikes to blame. One thing that really gets me is almost getting hit by someone on a bike, when I'm walking on the sidewalk. I see people riding bikes against traffic on both San Francisco and Beaver. I see people biking in the road, when there is a perfectly good, and safer, urban trail 5 feet away from them.

But with all the people that have had contact with a car while on their bike in the last couple months, I can see why the sidewalk bike traffic has increased.

Flagstaff is considered a Bike Friendly City, that doesn't mean you can ride your bike anywhere you like, you might end up getting hit by a car. And no matter who had the "right of way," the car usually wins.

"I don't walk in the bike lane, so don't ride on the sidewalk" by Me.
In Sedona I choose to ride on the SIDEWALK on 89A and 179. 179 has a bike lane and with 4 million tourist coming to Sedona every year a LARGE percentage are enjoying the great views rather than looking for a rider on the road they are driving on.

TD

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In Sedona I choose to ride on the SIDEWALK on 89A and 179. 179 has a bike lane and with 4 million tourist coming to Sedona every year a LARGE percentage are enjoying the great views rather than looking for a rider on the road they are driving on.

TD
I'm with you there. I watch too many people driving down the bike lanes to trust them. 89A, forget it, there isn't enough room for a bike and again too many people looking at all the purdy rocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.