Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
baycat said:
any recommendations for some low impact cardio? Think I will be going insane without any riding for the next month.
While recovering from surgery, I just spent money on the bike and more time with the kids. :)

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
baycat said:
nevermind...found a good suggestion

DELETE ME!
Ive been unable to ride, well, sort of. I can do Downiville. Just cant ride uphill due to my injury. I basically just go crazy, try and get some other things done around the house and work. Then when I can ride all the other responsibilities are done. Oh yeah, and I still go nuts. Hopefully I can atleast get on the road bike later this week and spin laps arouond the block or something.:confused:

Sean

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JC

UGI is def happening, rear wheel and maybe whole wheelset, fork and maybe other bits.

I might wait a few weeks and do some very flat singletrack, shoreline out in CC.

Only thing at gym that keeps me motivated is staring at girls on elipticals while I am on stationary bike.

Hiking might be a good thing, and I can yell at all the reckless MTBikers ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hiking can be a lot of fun. Not as exciting as riding mtb, but it can be more relaxing and you can get some great exercise. Not sure how badly you are hurtin', but trail running is great too. Also, the lap dances at Crazy Horse down on Market St can provide some good cardio.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
While

baycat said:
any recommendations for some low impact cardio? Think I will be going insane without any riding for the next month.
recovering from broken ribs, broken wrist and a dislocated shoulder I went to my local gym and rode the recumbent stationary and the elyptical trainer. This kept me in pretty good shape until I was able to ride my bike again. It was real, real, real boring though.

·
Recreational Terrorist
425 Posts
Swimming is a good low impact exercise. But, just ride through it :thumbsup:

It probably will increase your time to 100% recovery, but think of all the riding you will miss by being hurt in the peak riding season.

I cracked/fractured some bone in my shoulder back in April. It probably would have healed in about a month by nursing it and doing the proper recovery exercises. It took about 3.5 months to fully heal.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,591 Posts
baycat said:
JC

UGI is def happening, rear wheel and maybe whole wheelset, fork and maybe other bits.

I might wait a few weeks and do some very flat singletrack, shoreline out in CC.

Only thing at gym that keeps me motivated is staring at girls on elipticals while I am on stationary bike.

Hiking might be a good thing, and I can yell at all the reckless MTBikers ;)
Ryan,

Let's see how bad you get UGI. 2 months off the bike cost me: 1 new wheelset (crazy deal on CL), new crankarms, Pushed fork, new saddle (ebay), chainguide and bashguard. Just don't tell my wife.

As for oogling girls in spandex, that sounds like a healthy habit to me. :)

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
5,908 Posts
It just so happens

baycat said:
...there is a calorie counter for off bike activities.

If those recreational activities aren't available how about walking or jogging? I walk during my lunch hour to burn some extra calories. Go to the gym when I get off work (if I can get there before 4:30... after 5PM it's a disaster at the gym).

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
When I broke my wrist a few years ago, I took up trail running while it all healed. I was able to see some trails that I wasn't supposed to be riding anyway (read: researched poaches).

Last year when I broke my collarbone, I got really involved in our local advocacy group. I was able to do alot of work for the BTCEB in a very short amount of time since I couldn't ride but wanted to be with my brethren. When I was more healed, but not enough to ride, I was still able to go hiking and camping with my son for summer vacation and do some 4x4ing in Moab - it really sucked to not be able to bike and be in Moab.

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
swimming and running would be great, those were my competitive sports back in the day. Problem is I have little mobility in my shoulder, maybe in about two weeks. Do some good swimming.

It def. sucks being injured during the best riding season, but I am hoping to be back by late July. Snow should be gone from Tahoe by then for sure.

Crazy Horse, how bout Adam and Eve.....mmmmm or Centerfolds, but they are under "new management" and their rules suck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I walked on treadmill, in pool

When recovering from a broken collarbone, I walked on the treadmill at a gym where their televisions carried basic cable channels, so I could watch Comedy Central:p
I also walked in the shallow end of the pool. Nice view there, too. I also practiced many, many hours of physical therapy.
As I improved, I started walking and jogging in the hills.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I got a lot

baycat said:
swimming and running would be great, those were my competitive sports back in the day. Problem is I have little mobility in my shoulder, maybe in about two weeks. Do some good swimming.

It def. sucks being injured during the best riding season, but I am hoping to be back by late July. Snow should be gone from Tahoe by then for sure.

Crazy Horse, how bout Adam and Eve.....mmmmm or Centerfolds, but they are under "new management" and their rules suck!
of looks when I was at the gym with a sling for my left shoulder and a cast on my right wrist :skep: It was interesting pedaling the recumbent stationary without holding the bar and doing the elyptical without holding anything... it really helped my balancing skills ;)

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
scheckler said:
of looks when I was at the gym with a sling for my left shoulder and a cast on my right wrist :skep: It was interesting pedaling the recumbent stationary without holding the bar and doing the elyptical without holding anything... it really helped my balancing skills ;)
I got news for ya, it didnt help your balance at all. I watched you fall off that log 4 times in one day.:p

Sean

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.