Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Tonic Fall Guy
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mtn Bike season is about to begin for me and I totally f*cked up my right thumb installing a metal roof. The extension required of my thumb to do rapid-fire shifting is definitely going to interfere with healing. I'm wondering about moving the shifter (I run a 1x11 XT drivetrain) over to the left side. Is this possible? Some questions:

Isn't this the standard for Euro bikes or am I confused?

Would this interfere with the riding in a way I can't think of because the front brake is on my shifter side? [Yes, I realize I'll need to build some synapses to make this work safely, but I think I could get it down fast]

Not sure how else to fix this and still be able to have a solid riding season...Really sucks because I've spent the last 6 weeks building up a custom Transition Throttle. Thx!

·
since 4/10/2009
34,555 Posts
I think you'd have to put it above the bar...
I know a guy missing his entire right arm who did this for years. It'll work. He also puts both brake levers on the left side. He now uses an Archer shifter (they made him a custom one-off left side shifter) which gives him better ergonomics.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Wellll, you could go AXS and rig up two Blips on the left side for shifting.

Europe has shifting the same US. It's the brakes that are reversed with the front on the right, like motos, and the rear on left. Moto's, of course, have the rear brake on the right foot. (I've ridden motos almost as long as bikes and have no issue jumping from bike to moto and vice versa.)

The shifter would have have to mounted upside down and you'd be down shifting pulling with your index finger rather than pushing with your thumb. You'd have to figure out what to about your dropper remote...likely use a remote intended to be used with a 2x.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a terrible right thumb and cannot shift with it----I have rotated the shifter to 90 and just use my palm-----not as quick but pretty close once you get used to it----a free fix

·
Loud tyres save lives
561 Posts
Wellll, you could go AXS and rig up two Blips on the left side for shifting.
I was thinking electronic shifting as well as Di2 would allow a left shifter to control the rear derailleur.

Europe has shifting the same US. It's the brakes that are reversed with the front on the right, like motos, and the rear on left. Moto's, of course, have the rear brake on the right foot. (I've ridden motos almost as long as bikes and have no issue jumping from bike to moto and vice versa.)
Europe is mostly the same as the US with the front brake on the left and the rear brake on the right, the UK is the only exception I've come across in Europe with the front brake on the right and the rear brake on the left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.