Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this GT lobo and i do not know much about it. I was told it was mike schuers team bike from GT. I have never seen a brake set up like this. The wheels say ceramic on them but i dunno what kind they are. Any details you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
455 Posts
Wow. That looks like a prototype - the production Lobos were all carbon composite frames. Are there any markings on the shock or fork? I think the normal frames had RS Coupe Deluxe pull-shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Seriously bro, that's something that needs to never be ridden... It's a classic and carries a lot of history with it. Restore it and hang onto it, better yet loan it to GT and they can put it in their bike museum, they might even offer to purchase it for quite a lot more than what you paid for it.

Awesome find by the way, those bikes are pretty sweet.
 

·
old broken downhiller
Joined
·
175 Posts
his dudeness said:
Seriously bro, that's something that needs to never be ridden... It's a classic and carries a lot of history with it. Restore it and hang onto it, better yet loan it to GT and they can put it in their bike museum, they might even offer to purchase it for quite a lot more than what you paid for it.

Awesome find by the way, those bikes are pretty sweet.
I second that. DO NOT ride that thing, dude, it is a piece of DH racing history. Don't even restore it, as it seems to be in what would be called in BMX collecting "survivor condition". Unless you can hunt down new tires, grips, etc. that are EXACTLY what are on it now, changing things would detract from it's value. Give it a thorough cleaning and display it proudly. One of the first DH specific frames that actually rode decently. Post some bigger pics of it if you can.

(About BMX collecting, yes it is real. And some bikes, and even just parts and frames like Hutches and JMC's, bring in thousands at auction these days. It's a serious collector field. I can easily see MTB collecting taking off as well. If it becomes popular like BMX, you're looking at supply and demand and the value of certain things will rise. I assure you this bike will be worth more than you paid for it someday)

Looks like from the sticker some kind of Mavic rim. An old one that still has the braking surface machined into it. The front brake does appear to be some kind of drum type, with a big fan thing to dissipate the heat. Is that a very early production Monster T?? Where did you find this?? It's been sitting idle for 10 years at least

I was racing in those days, and I only remember seeing one or two of the full aluminum version. The production versions were the injected carbon types, and they are rare as well because they were so prone to shedding head tubes. That is a really sweet score...
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
his dudeness said:
Seriously bro, that's something that needs to never be ridden... It's a classic and carries a lot of history with it. Restore it and hang onto it, better yet loan it to GT and they can put it in their bike museum, they might even offer to purchase it for quite a lot more than what you paid for it.

Awesome find by the way, those bikes are pretty sweet.
yepp.....contact GT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thats pretty awesome. Im stoked on my purchase but i was really looking forward to using it haha. The fork is an old school boxxer that got painted to match the bike. Its got full xtr and the grips even look to be original GT. I found it on a craigslist add that didnt list much info, the person didnt seem to know what they had(other then the fact that they were told it was Mike Schuers) i guess they got it from a guy who couldnt pay his rent, so he gave the landlord the bike. Thats all that i know about it. Ill take some more detailed pics later tonight.
 

·
squish is good
Joined
·
4,933 Posts
Amerikan88 said:
Wow thats pretty awesome. Im stoked on my purchase but i was really looking forward to using it haha. The fork is an old school boxxer that got painted to match the bike. Its got full xtr and the grips even look to be original GT. I found it on a craigslist add that didnt list much info, the person didnt seem to know what they had(other then the fact that they were told it was Mike Schuers) i guess they got it from a guy who couldnt pay his rent, so he gave the landlord the bike. Thats all that i know about it. Ill take some more detailed pics later tonight.
Yeah! More pics, that is a rad bike you've got! I gotta go with the crowd here and agree with not riding it. I would definitely contact GT, they may want it back and I'm sure they'd pay you way more than $300 for it, or you could ask to trade it for a brand new modern bike!

Thats a very rare find you have there, take care of it!
 

·
Pivotal figure
Joined
·
6,361 Posts
I had some of those rims back in the day. Can't tell which model those are but they have the ceramic brake surface. I had 117's and I think 517's. Very cool bike for sure.
 

·
Capricious youth...
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
Absolute classic of a bike. Don't ride it, man.

With the amount of dinero you can get for it, I'd say you can swing the cost of a different used frame with newer parts, that'll you won't regret riding!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Shimano will come to where you live, shoot you in the head, and take those brakes.

shimano HRB's were protoyped in 96 and 97 and used only by a few Skunkworks testers and their most elite pros.. For all intents and purposes, they do not exist. The rims are mavic 121's, with some shitty Ritchey zmax xc tires on them.

The fork is a pre-production boxxer from '96. That too is an item that doesn't exist, and back in the day, those forks cost RS about $10,000 a pop to make.

It's pretty obvious that this thing has been ridden by a crackhead for a while, and is certainly originally stolen. Both the fork and the brakes were not available for sale, and remained the property of Shimano and Rockshox respectively... Lobos were pretty shitty bikes back in 97-98, and certainly are no better now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SuspectDevice said:
Shimano will come to where you live, shoot you in the head, and take those brakes.

shimano HRB's were protoyped in 96 and 97 and used only by a few Skunkworks testers and their most elite pros.. For all intents and purposes, they do not exist. The rims are mavic 121's, with some shitty Ritchey zmax xc tires on them.

The fork is a pre-production boxxer from '96. That too is an item that doesn't exist, and back in the day, those forks cost RS about $10,000 a pop to make.

It's pretty obvious that this thing has been ridden by a crackhead for a while, and is certainly originally stolen. Both the fork and the brakes were not available for sale, and remained the property of Shimano and Rockshox respectively... Lobos were pretty shitty bikes back in 97-98, and certainly are no better now.
Haha why would they come and shoot me? What do you reccomend doing with the bike? Do you have an estimate of how much the bike is worth? Also any more info on the bike would be greatly appreciated.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top