Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm cross-posting this from the Canadian bikes forum; sorry if that's inappropriate.

Trying to find someone who owns or has experience with the Rocky Mountain Flow FS, which is the full suspension model of their h/t d/j bike. Anyone?

I'm in the market for my first FS mountain bike. I'm 36 years old, 6'2", 175 pounds. I've raced and ridden BMX since I was a kid and currently own a hardtail bike. As I said, I want to get into the full suspension game.

I want an "all-mountain"-type bike for Arizona trail riding ~5 inches of travel, a bike I can ride on tech xc, do some jumping, some very light freeriding and can still pedal around everywhere.

With my budget, a local shop has suggested the Flow FS and I'm hoping to find some firsthand experience with the bike. Any info is much appreciated. This is a new model, here are the specs:
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2005/flow/flow-fs.aspx

Thanks in advance for any experience.
dion

·
Registered
34 Posts
Look at

Look at the old RM Slayer reviews, that is what that bike is basically. Should be fine for what you want to do. If you haven't already, look at the the Transition Preston FR.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well April is "Flow" month according to rocky's site (Bikes.com) so I think they have some good deals going. Make sure your dealer passes them on if you get one. I had a 2001 RM Edge which is a budget Slayer so basically a Flow FS although a few years old now. I loved how it felt..but sadly I had to sell it cuz I was getting to into freeriding and suspension bolts were regularly bending on hits bigger than 6" to flat. For an all mountain or light freeriding rig I'd totally recommend it. It gave me so much convidence. Right now I'm building up a RM Switch which shows you how much I love Rocky's. Check the reviews on MTBR.com if they're up for the Flow FS and type in 'Flow FS Review' into google. You could also see if Rocky has any posted on the reviews section of their site although the bike might be too new. The Slayer did win bike of the year for 2003 I think so the Flow FS should be a good product.

·
No Clue Crew
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. No reviews here on mtbr. I did, of course, do a google search as well and, 10 pages in, have nothing to report ;). Maybe I'll be the first guy to buy one!!

Yes, I DO want an "all-mountain" bike and the specs and price are attractive to me, given that this will likely be a transitional bike for me if I like full suspension.

Thanks again,
d

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah I checked too and no dice on mtbr.com, google.com or Rocky's site. The suspension design is pretty 'tried, tested and true' so if the components spec is too your liking (or close enough that you can get the shop to switch some stuff) then you should be happy.

·
No Clue Crew
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the build spec seems OK to me, but I'm not expert. The Dirt Jumper fork appears to be the weak link, but if I like the rest of the ride, I can upgrade when/if my skills go beyond the fork.

I think I'm gonna place my order today.
d

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
dandurston said:
Well April is "Flow" month according to rocky's site (Bikes.com) so I think they have some good deals going. Make sure your dealer passes them on if you get one. I had a 2001 RM Edge which is a budget Slayer so basically a Flow FS although a few years old now. I loved how it felt..but sadly I had to sell it cuz I was getting to into freeriding and suspension bolts were regularly bending on hits bigger than 6" to flat. For an all mountain or light freeriding rig I'd totally recommend it. It gave me so much convidence. Right now I'm building up a RM Switch which shows you how much I love Rocky's. Check the reviews on MTBR.com if they're up for the Flow FS and type in 'Flow FS Review' into google. You could also see if Rocky has any posted on the reviews section of their site although the bike might be too new. The Slayer did win bike of the year for 2003 I think so the Flow FS should be a good product.
i appologize for this thread hijack...

how are you setting up your switch...?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
JBsoxB said:
i appologize for this thread hijack...

how are you setting up your switch...?
2003 Switch Ltd. Frame
Fox Vanilla R sent to Push Industries
Marz. Z1 FR1
Hadley Rr. Hub
Marz. Fr. Hub
Race Face Diab. Stem, Cranks (I'm stoked to try out the X-type BB)
Azonic WorldForce Bars, Xtension pedals
Thomson Post
Funn Full Throttle saddle
SRAM X9 Triggers/R. Der
SRAM X-Gen Ft. Der
SRAM 990 11-32T Cassette
Sram PC99 Hollowpin chain
Sun MTX rims (shoulda went tubeless)
Wheelsmith spokes
FSA DH Pro 1.5Reducer headset with BMX cap/starnut to run fr. brakes through for bar spins
ODI lock on grips
Avid 8" BB7 Mech. Discs (I gotta go mech. I just love the simplicity)
Avid FR5 Levers
Avid Flak jacket brake/shifter cables/housing
I think that's it...It's all purchased but I'm still waiting for the last few parts in the mail.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh, I almost forgot:
Maxxis Holy Roller Tires (the best!)
Specialized fancy tubes

Almost all the components are black and the frame is white/grey with black accents. I bought the frame new a couple months ago for 869$ from supergo.com. It's basically the same as the current model except for the paint job (and I like this one better but the regular 03 switch came in nasty yellow) and it has a 1/4" less stroke resulting in a 3.4:1 leverage ratio instead of 3:1 for the current ones. I'm not worried about this cuz Push Industries will be setting up my shock accordingly.

·
No Clue Crew
7,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uh, yeah, that be the one from the link I provided. Dan I really wanted the Switch but couldn't justify the cost and it's likely too much bike for what I want. I think it's sweet, though.
d

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Blatant said:
Uh, yeah, that be the one from the link I provided. Dan I really wanted the Switch but couldn't justify the cost and it's likely too much bike for what I want. I think it's sweet, though.
d
As long as you don't start going huge on it you'll completely love the Flow FS. My RM Edge gave me a ridiculous amount of confidence that in one season I went from barely being able to ride to dropping 7 foot wheelie drops to flat. The problem with progressing so fast is that I didn't really have much style. If I was able to land the drops properly every time then the bike probably would have held up better. It's kinda ironic that the bikes own confidence inspiring behavior led to its demise (Just to clarify, the bike did not break or anything, I was just scared that it might because I was regularly replacing the shock bolts and I even changed the spring from a 600 to a 700 to a 900. I just wanted to sell it before I wrecked it). I bought my 01 edge as a last years model for 1800$ canadian plus tax and sold it two years later in nice condition for 1200$ so I was really happy with how it held it's value. I bought a hardtail (Kona Roast) after that so that I could learn some style. I felt I was going artificially big cuz the bike was so forgiving. I'm to the point now where I can do everything I was doing with way more style plus I can J-hop, do X-ups, Lurch ok, small manuals, trackstand all day etc. Buying a hardtail was a great idea but now I'm ready for a full squish again. I think the Flow FS would be an amazing first FS bike. You'll feel so confident...you'll wanna absolutely rip down the hills just cuz you can.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Definately. The Flow FS is a perfect bike for an AM an FR. And don't rule out the Marzochie Dirt Jump fork yet, its one of there most torture resistant forks. I would definately go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.