Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here do 1/2 pedal, 1/2 paddle day trips?

What are you using for the paddle portion?

I've got quite a few navigable rivers at my disposal so I've been looking into inflatable boats

I'd love an alpacka packraft but I'm not 100% sure I'd get my money out of it at $900+

Been looking at reviews for the Sea Eagle 370, it looks very manageable for hauling in my YAK trailer and will hold the weight of 2 riders, 2 bikes and the trailer while being very river tolerant unlike some of the wider raft options

Sport Kayaks ? Inflatable Kayaks For One or Two Adults ? from SeaEagle.com - Prices start at just $239. FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 US States.

I don't foresee doing any rapids, more like lazy river cruising

I think I could easily get my $350 out of this thing and I can head out unassisted unlike a regular kayak or canoe

·
Registered
572 Posts
Bike rafting is definitely on my to do list but I have never done any to date (though plenty of paddling and biking separately). The first thing I noticed is that the sea eagle weighs 26lbs vs. just under 5 for the Alpaca. That's a huge difference. I also didn't see if the sea eagle came with a pump. Another important consideration.

I suspect there are other options out there as well. I have also toyed with a trailer to haul my Kevlar canoe upriver and then float back down. But I have to be able to fit it all in the boat and I haven't figured that out yet.

If you search something like "bike rafting" you should get some good trip reports from which you can figure out what boats people are using.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Get an Alpacka Yak or Lama. Thought out and perfectly designed boats that are light, tough, tracks well on longer flat water crossings and can do whitewater. They have excellent resale value, if you find you don't use them enough.

We've only had ours for 3 months, but find new routes to do with them about every weekend.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add here that I'd like it if someone could come with me on the trips, my wife or another friend, I could stretch for the alpaca but there's no way I'm buying 2 of them and finding another person willing to make that big of a commitment is highly unlikely

Has anyone taken trips with a lesser "boat"?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Has anyone taken trips with a lesser "boat"?
i'm also very interested in anyone else's experience with this. I live a half mile from a beautiful river to paddle and have been itching to do some rides out and float back trips, but i can't spring for an alpacka for the job.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Alpacka's are worth it. Way worth it. They've been on the market for so long, that older models are now starting to pop up on craigslist. So, you could try that route.

Although, even if you get one of those, you will still have a very awkward time strapping both a bike, and a trailer, to your deck. It's something I would not recommend.

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
Alpackas are the bomb and worth every penny. I can't say enough good things about them as a product and a company, and they have been proven in the field time and again.

That being said, if price is a concern you could also look into NRS packrafts. They seem to be popular with packrafters and they are a good deal cheaper than the Alpacka. They are also under 5 lbs.

Check the buy and sell forums on packrafting.org as used boats can be a good deal. Especially if you are not doing a lot of whitewater, a used first generation design raft would be a good choice and probably more affordable.

I'd say you'd want to leave the trailer at home though.

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check the buy and sell forums on packrafting.org as used boats can be a good deal. Especially if you are not doing a lot of whitewater, a used first generation design raft would be a good choice and probably more affordable.
thanks for the link for packrafting.org. a good used on would probably be the best route to go for me.

here's a bit of a curve ball question for people: do you know of any 2-person inflatable rafts that could work? the best situation would be to find something that my wife and i could take out on some days and then could double as a packraft with my bike secured to it on others. i can't say i've looked a lot, but if anyone had ideas about something that would work without too many compromises, that'd be awesome. thanks!

·
Registered
573 Posts
wait.
This for something that will be hopscotch between water and trails? or ride to water, leave bike on shore and paddle the day away?

For the latter, the sea eagle would work

Have you looked into pontoon boats?
I have a older one of these:
The Creek Company :: Pontoon Boats :: #886 - ODC Classic XL
Love it. Its my fishing rig complete with Lowrance fish finder. Could easily strap your bike to the back and float.

I used to have a Classic Accessories Colorado, heavy beast (built that way to handle a trolling motor). They make (or made?) a backpackable boat. Think they have frameless ones now.

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
I probably wouldn't take it on anything too crazy.
I would!

I got to see one in action last summer, and was intrigued enough that I made another, separate trip down there to paddle it. I've been waiting ever since with baited breath for them to release it.

Amazing, capable, and light. I'd take it on any III to III+ whitewater run I've ever done. It's at least as capable as I am as a paddler. Probably more.

I'm currently considering it for an upcoming ~weeklong traverse in SE AK. So fast on flat water, so light (when split between the two of us) on the back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Holy crap, Mike. That deck looks incredible. Any chance you know for sure if they are going to release it, or something like it? This may be great for mellow runs with one of the kids.

Also, you heading to the Packraft Roundup this summer?

Edit: Just checked and it has been released - Alpacka Gnu. Crazy cool. And yes, I agree, this one looks fun water worthy. (the above link I threw out was to the Explorer 42)

·
@adelorenzo
1,670 Posts
It should be worth pointing out that any Alpacka can handle a two person load for things like river crossings or paddling around a flat lake for fun. They have more than enough flotation, it's all about trying to squeeze people and gear into the boat.

SE Alaska is near my neck of the woods. Mike I'd be curious to know where are you headed on your trip, if that is something you'd be willing to share.

·
Hermit
990 Posts
I'd be careful about ordering that Sea Eagle. I've heard that their quality is fairly sketchy.

See if you can find someone selling a used one, so you can take a look at how it's made before you consider buying.

Better safe than sorry.

Steve Z

·
This place needs an enema
15,700 Posts
Holy crap, Mike. That deck looks incredible. Any chance you know for sure if they are going to release it, or something like it? This may be great for mellow runs with one of the kids.

Also, you heading to the Packraft Roundup this summer?

Edit: Just checked and it has been released - Alpacka Gnu. Crazy cool. And yes, I agree, this one looks fun water worthy. (the above link I threw out was to the Explorer 42)
Roundup is on my radar, but that's a long ways away at a busy time of year. We'll see.

Gnu arrived today. Few more wheels to build before I can unbox it and schlep it down to the lake for a maiden voyage.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts