Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just tacoed both of my 26' wheels. Need some suggestions on some good strong freeride, all mountian wheels. Its for my trail bike but I like to huck it, hince the two tacoed wheels. I was looking at an XT hub with Sun Ryno Lite rims. I would like to keep it under 200 bones.... oh forgot, I'd like to gear it as a singlespeed. I guess a normal wheelset will work but a ss specific would be nice

·
Registered
345 Posts
Outlaws

Azonic Outlaws

I bought a set off the above vendor & they were shipped very quickly. I think it was like $224 shipped. They're not light wheels, but very strong. IIRC the weight is similar to XT/Rhyno Lite setup, plus you have all the axle options.

·
Registered
882 Posts
A little over your budget - $250 but I just picked up a set of these:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH406A02-Dimension++Mavic+Ex325+Wheels.aspx

Mavic 325 rims - 32mm wide 710g freeride strong laced with DT 14g black spokes.

And the dimension hubs are really nice - waaaay better quality than I expected. A convertable front, Q/R and 20mm.
The rear is awesome - it can run a 12mm T/A or Q/R or even a 10mm bolt thru with the right axle, it rolls on 4 cart. bearings and the freehub is what really stood out for me - it has a really low degree of rotation between clicks, and sounds like a 4 pawl ratchet, or possibly a ring drive - sweet! :cool:

For the price, I was blown away, and for a point of reference I'm running Hadley hubs and Mavic 819's on my A/M rig.

Edit - forgot to mention, I don't know what machine built these wheel, but the dish, true, and roundness was perfect, and the tension was pretty balanced, I'll probably add a bit of tension since this is a burly wheelset, but again, very impressed.

·
I endorse self propulsion
159 Posts
i think you can get rhyno lites on Deore hubs for about 100 bucks at a few of the online retailers. definitely not light but should be sturdy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Check out blueskycycling.com...they have 36h Saint hubs laced to rhynolite rims w/ 14g Wheelsmith spokes + a Saint rear deraileur for $159.

I searched everything and, for less than $200, you just can't beat it if you are TA up front.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
front was a WTB laser disc and the back was some alex rim. This is about the third set of wheels I've gone through on this bike. I'm leaning towards the Ryno Light rims with deore hubs. I can get them from my lbs for about 150 total. For some reason he wanted 200 a piece for the outlaws. I told him to stop smoking crack, you can get them on the net for 200 total. I've read a bit about the single track rims.... do you huck anything? I'm 6'4 and 185 lbs. I like to drop off of **** and thats why I go through so many rims.

·
Registered
440 Posts
g-wiz said:
front was a WTB laser disc and the back was some alex rim. This is about the third set of wheels I've gone through on this bike. I'm leaning towards the Ryno Light rims with deore hubs. I can get them from my lbs for about 150 total. For some reason he wanted 200 a piece for the outlaws. I told him to stop smoking crack, you can get them on the net for 200 total. I've read a bit about the single track rims.... do you huck anything? I'm 6'4 and 185 lbs. I like to drop off of **** and thats why I go through so many rims.
Nah, I don't huck off of anything remotely huge (most I have done is ~2' to flat), but I'm working up to it. At 6'5" and 235 lbs, I was knocking my old rims (mavic 717s) out of true every ride; haven't had to true my singletracks once in six months of riding.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
g-wiz said:
singletrack rims are really strong, much stronger than rinolites. they also have a wide 32mm width, making any tire you put on there much more rigid! you will not find a rim as inexpensive([email protected]), 'light'(590g) and with that size width anywhere. i've used and rebuilt the same rims for over a year and they're tracking true with NO dings....5'-10" @ 200 lbs TRW in the dirt jumps, dh, what have you. of course sriracha's wheelbuilding powers has a lot to do with that though : )

they're so cheap on universalcycles.com...

here is an assorted list

assorted with XT hubs

hope that helps.

outlaws are beef too, but the link above has options for 20mm free upgrade if you need.

saints are nice, but so heavy and you need to factor in the price of new centerlock rotors.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Saint hubs are heavy, but if you plan on doing a rear solid axle conversion on an XT or Deore hub then you are coming within a few grams of the Saint rear. But, with the saint, you get a much beefier freehub,larger balls & cones, and a stronger axle set-up. I'll take a few grams at the center of a wheel to gain dependability any day. If you are on a budget, you better decide what's more important to you- low weight or high strength...cause you aint getting both.

I agree that for the money Deore/ XT are hard to beat. But, the freehub tends to grenade and the front hub doesn't have the strongest axle set-up in the world. On the bright side, parts are cheap and the hubs are easy to service. Hey, $100 wheelset...that's not too bad.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Rhyno lite/Ditch Witch's are a great workhorse of a rim.

The Azonics are getting a great rep and had I not got a screaming deal on my DeeTrax, I'd have likely bought them. As it was I paid $250 for my Mavics...couldn't say no.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I personally like the look of a disc only rim.

RJ

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just ordered a Mavic XM321 Disc/Deore wheelset from Universal for 119.00 and used their "VIP10" coupon code for 10% off of that... seemed like a GREAT deal to me!

They'll be here Friday. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
MMcG said:
Nice find!
Your Avitar caught my eye. Not that I was ever much of a fan but anyone who has lived in Ct for as long as I have would recognize it. And now it seems that Baldwin is attempting to bring 'em back. Wasn't it Baldwin who took the whale away in the first place?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Everyone!

Well its official. Got the new hoops: Sun Singletrack rims, laced with DT spokes on a deore hub. And the beautiful part. Picked up the brand new set for $100. Thats right, got lucky and one of the lbs had them setting around. Cant beat that with a stick. I do appreciate all your all's advice and I'm sure every set you talked about are nice. Ride on my friends.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.