Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a Father/Son project of building a bike up from scratch for my 13 year old son. We want to build him up a small (15"/16") 27.5+ hardtail. I know there is a list on here of compatible frames, but I can't currently access it.

Anyone have a quick suggestion?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Following

I'm going to be looking at options for my soon-to-be 12 year old daughter. She is 5 feet and half an inch right now. The current bike will last her until the fall. I'm weighing the options of small versus smallish medium, hardtail vs. Full suspension and full bike or build my own.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
My wife rides a 15" Specialized Ruze, that was designed for a 27.5+. It came with a 2.8 on the rear and will handle a 3.0 with no issue.

Other than a very small sticker near the bb that says 'WSD' for women's specific design' (whatever that means) it's been a great bike. It's not even girl colors, it's all space grey and black. She actually ADDED pink and purple frame protection tape. It looked like a small black guy's bike when stock.

My only gripe is her rear axle/hub is the 10x141 QR, not a 12x142 through axle. It's basically boosted quick release.
You can get nice SRAM, Hope, DT, and King hubs for it, but the rear wheel will always have a QR lever like the old 135mm hubs.

I'm not certain if the new ones are this, or reg TA.

The whole bike was about $1k MSRP, but I see gently used ones around for sale frequently. I bought this one with 4 rides on it for $650 and added a used RS Revelation 120mm fork for $125.

·
Rocking on a Rocky
1,658 Posts
Dartmoor Primal Pro or a Dartmoor Hornet. Hard to find but cool frames with a good price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.