Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for that oxymoron, the inexpensive, lightweight frame. Actually, I have narrowed it down to a couple.
a) an Access frame from Supergo, cheap, pretty light, but I have to deal with Supergo.
b) a Litech magnisium frame, also cheap. lighter, weird looking (not sure if this is a plus or a minus) but pretty much of an unknown. I've found very few good reveiws, but no bad ones. It's almost cheap enough for an experiment. One downside is that the seat tube size limits front derailleur choices.
Does anyone have any experiences with either of these, or purhaps some good uninformed opinions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
I haven't ridden an Access, but this guy has...

I haven't ridden the Access frame. I've seen it in person at the Superchumps and it looked nice. Nice paint and good welds. But that's it for me. I am not a fan of Supergo's customer service.

Check out this thread. This guy built up a 22" Access hardtail:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=35949&highlight=access+budget+bike
The pic links seem broken.

The bikes can be seen here in the poster's gallery section:
http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=1464&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

Shoot him a PM and ask him. He seems helpful from the threads I've read that he has contributed to.
 

·
Gone riding
Joined
·
3,350 Posts
Sorry if I'm off-topic, but have you thought about anything else?? I know they're pretty common-place, but the Giant XTC series hardtail frames are 1450grams, pretty stiff, and are dirt cheap. Food for thought. :D

Cheers, Dave
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
dirtpaws said:
I haven't ridden the Access frame. I've seen it in person at the Superchumps and it looked nice. Nice paint and good welds. But that's it for me. I am not a fan of Supergo's customer service.
I'm still very happy with the frame. For the price and weight, its hard to beat ($149 including seatpost and clamp). Plus they are very easy to get, especially if you live near a Supergo. I kind of like the way Manitou's bike looks (also an Access, an 18" frame).

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=31669

The top tube angles down a bit, which I like. Mine comes straight across because the frame is larger, but still looks nice I think. I'm not sure what an XTC is going for right now, but those are nice too. I've never seen an size XL XTC frame going for that cheap, but if you find one your size for cheap It'd make a great bike.

Another pic (still under 22 lbs with 2.1 Racing Ralph and Karma DTC):
 

Attachments

·
I love Pisgah
Joined
·
3,406 Posts
Nice fork ya got there dude. Cranks too. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DaFireMedic said:
I'm still very happy with the frame. For the price and weight, its hard to beat ($149 including seatpost and clamp). Plus they are very easy to get, especially if you live near a Supergo. I kind of like the way Manitou's bike looks (also an Access, an 18" frame).

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=31669

The top tube angles down a bit, which I like. Mine comes straight across because the frame is larger, but still looks nice I think. I'm not sure what an XTC is going for right now, but those are nice too. I've never seen an size XL XTC frame going for that cheap, but if you find one your size for cheap It'd make a great bike.

Another pic (still under 22 lbs with 2.1 Racing Ralph and Karma DTC):
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The Access buildup does look great (despite the nude Noleen). I have found several happy owners of Access frames, but I'll be danged if I can find anyone that will admit to ever seeing a Litech, let alone actually buying one. And thanks for the info and offers on other frames, but I am a little leary of buying a used aluminum frame, not knowing what it's been through. I was considering a Fetish frame, but since they look suspiciously like the Access, I couldn't see the extra $100 for the cool graphics (the Access graphics -are- pretty boring). I guess I'll probably go with the Access by defalt, unless someone else has any Litech opinions and info?
 

·
College
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
lightbikes has guys who use litech

If you look on Light-bikes.com theres 2 guys who used litechs magnesium frame
 

·
Just passing through....
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
b12yan88 said:
If you look on Light-bikes.com theres 2 guys who used litechs magnesium frame
Where can you buy one? I just ran a Google search and it turned up nothing but the Weight Weenies site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Litechs on Light-bikes

b12yan88 said:
If you look on Light-bikes.com theres 2 guys who used litechs magnesium frame
Ok, thanks. Now I know there are at least two people out there that have actually bought one, and they obviously like them enough to post pictures, but I still haven't actually -heard- from anyone that has one. Anybody out there?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top