Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New addict
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I typically do not ride with any sort of protection other than a helmet and sun glasses because I hate any sort of unnecessary additions. But I have a trip to Moab coming up and would rather be safe than sorry.

Anyways, I would like a set of inexpensive knee pads, and have not had great luck in the sub $40 range. I found some decent looking Kali pads on Amazon for $22 but they were to big.

Does anyone know of a closeout sale or something similar where I can get decent pads on the cheap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
200 Posts
The paragons are fantastic, I just wish the availability was better. Order a size down to prevent slippage. G-form are also good, but only worth it IMO if you can find them on sale.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but Moab will be insanely hot this time of year. Make sure you're set up to carry lots of water. My wife used close to 4 liters on the slickrock trail alone, and we got an early start.

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
1,778 Posts
As mentioned, be very careful and do not underestimate hydration in extreme climates. Know what your body warning signs are, pay attention, and don't do anything stupid.

Kneepads, anything will be hot and noticeable in extreme conditions. Again, don't do anything stupid.

·
New addict
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1 on Paragons. Comfy, and affordable. They are not maximum protection but work great even in SoCal's summer.
Alpinestars Paragons are in your price range, I believe.
+2

Super comfortable and reasonable price. I've worn out a pair of the elbows and replaced them but the knees are still holding up pretty well.
Sweet, found some Paragons in the right size on geartrade for $23 so I just ordered those a little bit ago. Thanks for the recommendation, they are exactly what I was looking for!

The paragons are fantastic, I just wish the availability was better. Order a size down to prevent slippage. G-form are also good, but only worth it IMO if you can find them on sale.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but Moab will be insanely hot this time of year. Make sure you're set up to carry lots of water. My wife used close to 4 liters on the slickrock trail alone, and we got an early start.
As mentioned, be very careful and do not underestimate hydration in extreme climates. Know what your body warning signs are, pay attention, and don't do anything stupid.

Kneepads, anything will be hot and noticeable in extreme conditions. Again, don't do anything stupid.
Thanks for the advice about hydration. I have spent quite a bit of time in Moab previously (I live in Northern Utah) and am very familiar with the heat. I have just never mountain biked there. I have already purchased a 3 liter Hydration bladder to use instead of my tyical 1.5L bladder. I also plan on bringing a water bottle I can keep on the frame or in my bag. Any other tips for staying cool?

Since we are somewhat already on the topic of preparation, what trail-side lunches/food do you guys like for long rides?

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
For staying cool in the desert wear one of those cool tie neck things. They have little gel beads in that hold water and gradually release it. When I lived in Las Vegas I owned several and they made the heat much more bearable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.