Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I didn't think I'd ever post in the DH/Freeride section...

I had jaw surgery 4 weeks ago. I went to the doc this morning and after a bit of discusion, he told me I could start riding off-road again. He strongly recomend ed that I wear a fullface helmet instead of the typical XC lid.

Any suggestions on an inexspensive FF helmet?

Any particular brands/models that are light with good ventilation?

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I found a Pryme AL on e-bay for $60. :D

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TWISTED said:
I paid $375 for my Fox V3 and $349 for my D2 carbon, maybe I just value my head a little more than saving a couple bucks.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you should get a Giro switchblade or similar fullface XC helmet.
Sure...IF Giro still made the Switchblade...which they don't :)mad: )...it would, indeed, be a great choice.

I agree that "if you have a cheap head, get a cheap helmet". I also think that paying $200-$400 for a helmet is not required to get good protection. The law of deminshing returns is kicking in pretty hard around your "$349" and "$375" price points.

And, paying for a triple digit helmet is even less called for IF you're like me and are only going to be riding XC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Wal Mart by my place has Bell full face helmets for cheap... like 25 bucks cheap. Say what you will but i compared mine with a Bell FF from Performance bikes today and the only difference was the design on the side. EVERYTHING down to the padding on teh inside was the same. The one at Performance was 79.99

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
661 makes a few cheaper full faces, I don't remember what they are called but I got one.
I've taken 2 semi-hits to the helmet and have walked away brain damage free. I can't personally atest to the full on full-face helmet experance but my 661 (fullcomp??) has made it w/ minimal scratches on two head contacts, one of them resulting in a seperated sholder w/ plenty of torn ligiments.
For light DH/FR (no bigger than 30ft) I'd say it's ok, not great, but ok.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
don't buy it if it is used
Yuck! That would be gross! :p

Seriously, it was listed as "NEW"...I guess I'll see when it gets here later this week...

·
industry employee
290 Posts
Are you in your Pryme???

DM-SC said:
Well, I didn't think I'd ever post in the DH/Freeride section...

I had jaw surgery 4 weeks ago. I went to the doc this morning and after a bit of discusion, he told me I could start riding off-road again. He strongly recomend ed that I wear a fullface helmet instead of the typical XC lid.

Any suggestions on an inexspensive FF helmet?

Any particular brands/models that are light with good ventilation?
Pryme Gear

·
Registered
344 Posts
The only reason to justify spending $300-$400 on a helmet is if you are getting a moto helmet with DOT certification. A Troy Lee D2 is just bling, and not going to "protect" your head any better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts