Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Trek 4300 that i'm trying to put back together. It needs a derailleur and a few other things but the frame is really too small as I was alot shorter when I got it. The frame is a small and I need about a 19" frame. I was looking at the Mosso frames and these two http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=628 http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=624 What are some other options? I don't care if it's aluminum or steel. I was looking at about 150 dollars and under.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2nd Sette Reken

This frame was 99 bucks at price point last I checked and gets really excellent feedback. There is a long term test out there that also was very positive. If your fork fits it, it would be my choice.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also recommend the Sette Reken frame.

I built a singlespeed out of old parts and a Reken frame and it's great. The build quality is great with very clean welds and nice machining. It is very versatile frame, as it can be disc or canti and has geometry that can accommodate a various size of suspension forks while still being pretty light. And it rides great - it is fast, nimble and climbs great.

If you are looking to stay under $150 I'd look at the Reken for $89, because you will still have ~$60 to get a new headset, seatpost and whatever else you might need to replace from your old bike.

·
ilmfat
1,316 Posts
i cant see a 4.5# sus frame holding up to my 270#s. plus, try getting a fullie for 90$. are there lighter frames? yes. are there cheaper frames? yes. is the reken an awesome bike for a darn good price? yes. i cant see myself wanting any other hardtail. u could always get the azonic az-7 for 350$. it weighs 2.1# apparently. there's a reason the marks on the reken are so high. cause it rocks.

edit: i have owned two access frames (though they are no longer available from performance bike). they are a little lighter than the reken and have put up with my mild amount of abuse with no complaints. i just like the fit of the reken better. its just really fun.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Ugh, not this again

mtnbiker72 said:
In the infamous words of Keith Bontrager

Strong Light Cheap...pick two
... written by a guy trying to defend his handmade bling enterprise from Japanese and Taiwanese imports. I can give thousands of exceptions to this rule.

Maybe Strong, Light, Cheap, Bling... pick three.

Example:

From Boggs III

Supergo Access Frame.... 1630 grams (3.5 lbs) ... $99 (paid $60 on cragislist)
Supergo stem 135 grams $20
Wellgo MA18 Ti pedals 245 grams $50
Shimano 600 rear hub respeaced to 135mm 340 grams... $15 at a swap meet, plus $10 for axle and 5mm spacer
Bontrager Mustang rims 410 grams $35 each new (compare to Mavics for $70 each)
Performance LunarLite tubes 95 grams $5 each on sale
Kenda Karma 2.0 tires... 450g each... $20 ... well okay, they are pretty thing and can be sliced open on a sharp rock pretty easily, but they are race tires.

This and a bunch of other stuff added up to a 22.5 pound race hardtail I built for under $500 (with some used parts) that I beat the tar out of for a few years... and I weigh 200 pounds without a single complaint. No broken or bent nuthin. Most of these parts live on my geared 29er now.

·
Registered
947 Posts
ilmfat said:
i cant see a 4.5# sus frame holding up to my 270#s. plus, try getting a fullie for 90$. are there lighter frames? yes. are there cheaper frames? yes. is the reken an awesome bike for a darn good price? yes. i cant see myself wanting any other hardtail. u could always get the azonic az-7 for 350$. it weighs 2.1# apparently. there's a reason the marks on the reken are so high. cause it rocks.

edit: i have owned two access frames (though they are no longer available from performance bike). they are a little lighter than the reken and have put up with my mild amount of abuse with no complaints. i just like the fit of the reken better. its just really fun.
My sister in law had an access aLu frame. And that was kind of my point. It was quite light, super cheap, quite nice.

So I thought that 4.5 was excessive compared to other rides out there. 3.5# is what I thought a good and cheap aluminum frame should be, that or below.

·
Registered
29 Posts
pimpbot said:
but that doesn't look like it will take a suspension fork.
It takes a suspension fork. The eBay listing used to have a readable sizing chart that clearly stated that the geometry was set up around a suspension-corrected fork.

I ride mine rigid with WTB dirt drop bars and slicks, but a buddy of mine has his set up with an 80mm RockShox Recon and it is a sweet XC ride.

Very nice frames. The guy who is selling on eBay, Reid, used to work for Dirt Research before they closed up shop; when they closed he bought out the remaining stock and now sells it as a side business.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.