Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rodie here, looking to acquire my first mtb. Hoping you guys can help find a deal on a nice frame.

I'm looking to build a 29er for cross country racing. I'll go with a 100mm fork, single chain ring, 10 or 11 speed cassette with Sram X01. I can keep the price of build under 1,000 (some parts are donated) if I can find a frame for less than 300 bucks. I like to look of the Any suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out ebay for a steel hardtail.

Less than 300 is going to be tough.

I would also consider a chinese carbon 29er frame as well, they can be had for 500 or less.

Huge thread here about them.

I built one up with some good ebay shopping for parts for $1500, but I already had a good set of wheels which kept the cost down.

For the fork I would really consider looking at the Xfusion Slide 100mm fork, Can be had new for about $350 or less on ebay. I really like it alot and the build quality is on par if not better than all the rest. Best bang for your dollar by far.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I agree with the OnOne Inbred if a steel frame, non-tapered headtube fits in with your plans. Great frames.
If you want to be adventurous then see if you can stretch your budget to one of the Chinese carbon frames.

·
the mountian is within
543 Posts
If you ride a large-I have a Vassago and Niner frame in the classifieds.Both good price for this build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
just to muddy the waters a bit, at least take a look at the Soma Juice.... a bit more $ but these frames are extremely well designed/made/finished. Building a B side now after looking at many 650 frames.

·
Is dang happy!
1,379 Posts
Complete bikes are "generally" cheaper than individual parts, some great deals in the used market or last years clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at the Inbred, I really love the design of the frame - has a great classic look to it. I think its a solid contender. I am just a little worried about a steel frame b/c of the weight and perhaps because of the vibration. Can anyone comment on these things?

If I stretch the budget for a carbon, I think it'll be the On One Lurcher. It seems to be a great frame for the price.

Lastly, I did tinker with buying an already built bike. From BikesDirect, I can easily walk away with an X7 for 800 bucks or X9 for 1000. I have no doubt that the those bikes are on par with others in the market place. I just don't know if I will be happy without electing every part my self.

·
Just Ride!
1,256 Posts
Along with the On-One frame, I would recommend Shimano XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur and XT cassette, to go along with something like an FSA Mega Exo crankset and narrow/wide front ring. All of this, with frame will put you at about $525 and you will still have some good money left for the rest of the components and wheelset. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Along with the On-One frame, I would recommend Shimano XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur and XT cassette, to go along with something like an FSA Mega Exo crankset and narrow/wide front ring. All of this, with frame will put you at about $525 and you will still have some good money left for the rest of the components and wheelset. Happy hunting!
I too am looking for an economical frame, etc. Is your suggested set up with only one front chain ring?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rodie here, looking to acquire my first mtb. Hoping you guys can help find a deal on a nice frame.

I'm looking to build a 29er for cross country racing. I'll go with a 100mm fork, single chain ring, 10 or 11 speed cassette with Sram X01. I can keep the price of build under 1,000 (some parts are donated) if I can find a frame for less than 300 bucks. I like to look of the Any suggestions?
I may be missing something here but isnt the SRAM X01 at least 800 or 900 for the group?

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
I second the Airborne Goblin frame set. Just built one up myself and love the geo, fit, and the way it rides.

image.jpg

Also wondering, though, about your selection of X01. Must be part of the donated components?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the posts guys. I'm still mulling my options. So far I like the Inbred and the Chinese Carbon.

Regarding the X01 - I am buying the the rear shifter and derailleur for 200 from a friend. With a 300 for the frame, that leaves 500 for everything else. I will likely go with an unbranded crank and wheel set and a budget fork. I have a free seat post, bar, stem, and bottom bracket. Maybe doable...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts