Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are my options for relatively inexpensive 29" options? Of course there is the Karate Monkey, and based on the experience with my Cross-Check, that's a good option. But since I just gotta be different (without spending a boat load of money), what else is out there for a reasonable price; say $500 for a frame. It would be nice if a fork (rigid) came with it, but it does not have to. I usually ride about a 19" frame, if that helps.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'd say get a Karate Monkey frame/fork deal from Bill Larson (Cycle Path) for $389 and get it powder coated in some fun color.

The KM deal is hard to beat. I think the next closest frame deal is maybe the Voodoo 29'er frame for around $600 or so.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
chucks closeouts

Chucks has a Alu frame for 85$, just curious what tire it will fit.
Polk said:
What are my options for relatively inexpensive 29" options? Of course there is the Karate Monkey, and based on the experience with my Cross-Check, that's a good option. But since I just gotta be different (without spending a boat load of money), what else is out there for a reasonable price; say $500 for a frame. It would be nice if a fork (rigid) came with it, but it does not have to. I usually ride about a 19" frame, if that helps.

·
Registered
568 Posts
mvi said:
Chucks has a Alu frame for 85$, just curious what tire it will fit.
Chuck told me he does not have any 29er stock and has no plans to offer it in the near future. (that was a month ago, so perhaps something came up, I didn't check his site)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frankenbike said:
I'd say get a Karate Monkey frame/fork deal from Bill Larson (Cycle Path) for $389 and get it powder coated in some fun color.

The KM deal is hard to beat. I think the next closest frame deal is maybe the Voodoo 29'er frame for around $600 or so.
How do I get ahold of Bill Larsen/Cycle Path?

Also, I just emailed Chuck, of Chuck's Bikes. He has recently been contacted by a frame builder who has some extra aluminum tubing. Chuck is considering building some 29" frames with the material. I don't know timing, but the price is likely to be right!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Later this year, Kona will supposedly have thier frame ready for retail. Got my fingers crossed on that one. SOMA is close to having something out that's very similar to the KM. On One is supposedly working on something too. If you're willing to be a bit patient, these could be very viable options. For $500ish, you could also go w/a custom Spicer.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
~martini~ said:
Later this year, Kona will supposedly have thier frame ready for retail. Got my fingers crossed on that one. SOMA is close to having something out that's very similar to the KM. On One is supposedly working on something too. If you're willing to be a bit patient, these could be very viable options. For $500ish, you could also go w/a custom Spicer.
yea...a full custom spicer with 4000 series cromo (like the KM) will set ya back about $500, maybe abit less.

for a full custom frame with "nicer" tru temper steel (check out tubing options/upgrades at henryjames.com), canti posts, paul comp dropouts and a nice metallic orange powder coat will set ya back about $630 or so. :D

Oh....and Gene is a nice guy too.

·
Old School
75 Posts
the rig is a screamin deal, but so's the xcal

In case you want gears, the Gary Fisher Xcaliber is an outstanding deal. I am very happy with mine and it cost a lot less than the sum of the parts....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.