Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After careful deliberation, (and no small amount of Summit,) I placed a call to the guys at Industry Nine yesterday. I had followed someone's post here about them and I was intrigued. The possibilities seemed interesting, Mavic like stiffness and acceleration, 3 times the colors of Kings with near equal engagement, and of course the sexiness of custom built, anodized, and machined wheels.

So I was like, hey, what the hell. I've gotten used to Kings. What can I say, they're great, but large ano spokes to match the hubs? How could I say no? I called Jon at I.N. and talked to him for about an hour. I was greatly impressed. He had answers to every concievable technical question I could think of, explaining every thing in clear detail. Weight and everything should be right on par with a set of traditional King built wheels, albeit with much higher stiffness. They might not be the best choice for running rigid, we'll see though.

Needless to say, I ordered a pair. I had tem laced to the TK 7.1's, as I've allways been impressed with DT's quality, and the weight isn't that bad for the width. I fell in love with that red color right away, it's going to match the kit perfectly for the new Titus ti RX build I'm putting together. I went with the 6 pawl 3 degree engagement drive, figuring that I wanted them to be as similar to the Kings as possible. This of course to allow for a nearly identical comparison.

I'm stoked, ship time should be under 2 weeks. I'll of course post pics of the wheels when I get them, and look for ride reports, as I'm sure I won't be able to keep myself off of them. Hmmm... It's almost winter here in the north country. Close the shop early to go riding, I might have to!!!

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
You're gonna be happy

I'm loving my set- red hubs, silver spokes and the TK7.1 rims. Just a beautiful, stiff, fast set of bling wheels from the mtns of NC. And the custom options too... Great guys and a great product.

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait for mine, I think they are a great company with a lot of potential. It's going to be nice to have an alternative to Kings. For the right bike, These are going to be perfect. If anyone is going to be around southern MN and want to try mine you're more than welcome to. Just let me know.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Singletrack Pig said:
I'm loving my set- red hubs, silver spokes and the TK7.1 rims. Just a beautiful, stiff, fast set of bling wheels from the mtns of NC. And the custom options too... Great guys and a great product.
Describe the hub sound please. Quiet? LOUD?

·
17.5" pistons of love
183 Posts
I'll have to say their wheels were one of the few things that really impressed me at the show. I got a sneak peak at the hub inerds, I don't think they were supposed to show people. VERY cool! Bearing placement is I think one of the keys to their design. I'm sure I'll break down and get a set.

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Hub sound

At first they were pretty noisy, in a solid way. Not as high pitched as the Kings. I've always preferred a quiet hub, especially in a SS application. I just love floating through the woods without a sound. King's always turned me off because they are sooo loud.

The I9's have gotten quieter with time/miles, and Jon says that if I switched from the 6 pawl setup to the 3 pawl it would be quieter still. I may do that this winter, but don't want to give them up for even a day in this prime riding season. Plus the instant engagement is awesome in technical sections.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Sweet Jeebus

those are tight. The only thing that I don't understand is why they characterize 32h and 2x as being "more". More than what - 28h and radial laced? Seems like 32h is the minimum for 29ers and 3x is the norm - if not 36h and 3-4x for phat boys.

Truly pimp. I still wish I could get 29er "mags" like on my old Schwinn Freestyle bike. Those would be rad.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
threads

How do the spokes attach to the wheels?

Looks like they thread into the hubs. That seems sketchy because if you happen to strip them then your hub it toast. I would think they make the spokes a lot softer than the hub threads.

This is sort of a nonstarter for me since I can't afford them.

-M

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Anyone that can help me out with my Q on the weheel forum? How does Al compar to Steel, in the use of spokes? Surely steel is denser so much thinner steel spokes make up for the same weight as the Al's (1/3?), but what about pull/tensile/whatever strength, is that more or less than factor 3, and which way?

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that one of the best things about the design is the hub flange interface. The threads on the spokes are huge. Think about the comparison between this system and traditionally laced wheels. In a traditional wheel, you have a very strong metal, steel spokes, threading into a weaker metal, brass or aluminum nipples. Compare the sizes. One would think, given the potential of the I.9 spoke stripping out, that "normal" steel/aluminum combinations would stirp out all the time. Small diameter, less threads, and a lot less material. I'm not concerned about that at all, and spoke replacement looks like a breeze.

On the internal note, I'll take mine apart as soon as I get them, then post pics. I want to see them as much as you guys!

Quiet hubs are a relative subject. I used to dislike the sound of Kings, that was before I could afford them. Best thing, people in front of you can hear you gaining on them!

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Singletrack Pig said:
At first they were pretty noisy, in a solid way. Not as high pitched as the Kings. I've always preferred a quiet hub, especially in a SS application. I just love floating through the woods without a sound. King's always turned me off because they are sooo loud.

The I9's have gotten quieter with time/miles, and Jon says that if I switched from the 6 pawl setup to the 3 pawl it would be quieter still. I may do that this winter, but don't want to give them up for even a day in this prime riding season. Plus the instant engagement is awesome in technical sections.
I have a set of DT240's and I like the clacking sound, but lately it's been irritating me on the SS. When I coast on long descents the racket just gets to be a little too much. I'm appreciating quietude nowadays.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I think

that's the method that Mavic uses on all their proprietary Mtn and Road wheelsets...helps minimize rotational weight. They are easily replaced...but at what price?

wolfy said:
How do the spokes attach to the wheels?

Looks like they thread into the hubs. That seems sketchy because if you happen to strip them then your hub it toast. I would think they make the spokes a lot softer than the hub threads.

This is sort of a nonstarter for me since I can't afford them.

-M

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you're spending $750 or so on a custom, handbuilt pair of King wheels for your $4000 bike. Isn't the extra hundred bucks a small thing really? Just think of the colored spokes! When silver spokes spin, you see silver discs for wheels. When my red ones will spin... total bling! Besides, it's fairly common for roadies to spend 8-900 on a pair of wheels, why should we let them have all the fun?

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Nat said:
I have a set of DT240's and I like the clacking sound, but lately it's been irritating me on the SS. When I coast on long descents the racket just gets to be a little too much. I'm appreciating quietude nowadays.
Your DT's are noisy? Mine are nearly silent. Not as quiet as my American Classics, which ARE silent, but decibels quieter than my old Kings. So easy spook the hikers now on my SS when I really wanted to.... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.