Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I ordered up a new El Rey and I am trying to decide on a wheelset for it. I already have a set of the new Arch 29'ers and I am thinking of sending them down to Industry nine to have them built up. In the past I have always had a local mechanic build
my wheels using DT 240 hubs, super comp spokes and pro lock nips. I have always had great luck with this set-up, but I am intrigued with the I9 stuff and wondering if it worth the extra money that I will spend and the 2-3 week wait time.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
19,141 Posts
Padre said:
Nat...are you saying I9 hubs are lighter than 240s? Pretty sure that's wacky.
I'm saying the I9 complete wheels I have are lighter in-hand than either of my DT's. I don't weigh stuff though. I guessed the savings was in the spokes.

I9: ss hub, 32 hole, Salsa Delgado disc rims
DT: bolt-on ss hub, 32 hole, Delgado Cross rims, Supercomp spokes, brass Pro Lock nibbles.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
The stiffness difference between a supercomp built wheel and I9’s system is drastic. I have a 240/supercomp/TK7.1 wheelset on my rigid bike and I9s on my ElCapitain. I would destroy the DT wheels in short order if I mounted them to the Ventana. Are i9’s worth the cost? Maybee maybe not, but the El Ray is going to beg for more solid wheels than supercomps are going to build. Sending rims to I9 is going to raise the cost of the wheelset as apposed to just getting the rims from them. I grantee they pay less for the rims than you did and they generally have all the stans stuff in stock if its available.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OK are aluminum spokes going to improve that ride? doubtful. will they make for a stiffer wheel? without a doubt. but,is this a good thing? frankly after rolling a season on some krysium ssc's i went back to a hand built set of campy/velocities that were lighter, rode better, accelerated faster and were easier to maintain. they don't look as cool, but that's not the issue, at least for me. sorry for the road content but i think this is a valid cross over comparison.

e

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
i would ask I9 if they could send the hubs/spokes to the wheelbuilder. not typical practice but if they feel comfortable with the wheelbuilder it may be an option. Chad from redbarnbicycles built my most recent I9 wheelset in this way.

and yes, I9 wheels rock, especially for 29ers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
An I9 29er spoke weights 4g. A DT swiss Revolution (I think) double butted 29er black spoke with the nipple that comes with the spoke weighs 7g. That's over 1/4 lb per wheel, and 1/2 lb per wheelset.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
The I9s are worth it. They're light and they work well. They're very stiff laterally which is a huge bonus.

They also stand out visually if you get custom colors. This is great if you're into that. No other wheelset can be the focal point of a bike.

However... it will take a longgg time to get them. I'm guessing 2-3 months based on the experiences of friends and the skyrocketing demand.

francois

p.s. this photo was shot from 50 yards away with a backlight remote flash to bling out the bling-bling.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
per the comment in my other post.

To OP: i would highly recommend you just have Larry Mettler from mountain high cyclery or Chad from Red Barn bicycles build your I9 wheels. Guys at I9 I am sure will be more than happy to send those guys (as they know them well) the spoke and hubs for them to build therefore, you will not be dependent on I9 wheelbuilding resources. This will be especially fast if you stick with stock colors (silver, black, red). If you want custom colors then of course you will still have to wait.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Padre said:
Nat...are you saying I9 hubs are lighter than 240s? Pretty sure that's wacky.
DT is the second best hub. ;)

By a rough swag, the i9 hubs look to be about 80g heavier than a pair of 240s, but make it all up in the spokes. Built i9 wheels are ~100g lighter than a light DT240s build.

If you want a stiff responsive wheelset, get the i9s.

Padre, you should get a set and try them for a little while. Kinda like going to hydros. Remember your days of cable discs or bust?

·
Registered
410 Posts
stiffness

This has been discussed before:
7075 is one third as "stiff" as stainless (Youngs Modulus 70 GPa vs 210 Gpa) . Given the same rim, number of spokes and spoke tension, the aluminum spokes need to have 3x the cross sectional area (1.75x the diameter) of the steel spokes to have the same stiffness. The thicker I9 spokes are 2.8 mm, so they'll have about the same elasticity as a 1.6 mm steel spoke. I think Supercomps are 1.55 mm in the middle.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
rensho said:
DT is the second best hub. ;)

By a rough swag, the i9 hubs look to be about 80g heavier than a pair of 240s, but make it all up in the spokes. Built i9 wheels are ~100g lighter than a light DT240s build.

If you want a stiff responsive wheelset, get the i9s.

Padre, you should get a set and try them for a little while. Kinda like going to hydros. Remember your days of cable discs or bust?
i remember!
but i'm not arguing on the spokes thing...
i was just pretty sure that the hubs were much lighter..
i heard I9 was doing "regular" spokes that work in "regular" hubs now...any word on that?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
how about the 190s?

Anyone using these yet. They are crazy expensive, but have ceramic bearings, and are reported to be 117 grams lighter than the 240s.... I guess that would bridge the gap on the I9s?

I dont know beans, except what I read in the catalogue about these new hubs. At $980 for a pair of hubs (retail)...they certainly win the highest price category.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i would ask I9 if they could send the hubs/spokes to the wheelbuilder.
They are happy to do it. I have built a few sets for people, no problems or static from I9 about it.

Rather than reposting, I'll just stick this in here. Hub weight is a concern, but I would not get wrapped up in that. The reason to choose one hub over the other is twofold. One, instant engagement, need I say more on that? Two, the ability in less that 5 minutes, to have the whole hub apart, with an allen wrench. I love Hugis, they are very nice, but to buy a tool set, or to have to go to a shop to do service, well, at home with a 5mm allen, just feels better. Beyond that, it's just a matter of do you want super stiff wheels, on an FS, this is nice, on a HT, steel spokes will be more comfy. Happy shopping :thumbsup:

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
slim_pickens said:
This has been discussed before:
7075 is one third as "stiff" as stainless (Youngs Modulus 70 GPa vs 210 Gpa) . Given the same rim, number of spokes and spoke tension, the aluminum spokes need to have 3x the cross sectional area (1.75x the diameter) of the steel spokes to have the same stiffness. The thicker I9 spokes are 2.8 mm, so they'll have about the same elasticity as a 1.6 mm steel spoke. I think Supercomps are 1.55 mm in the middle.
I've got no math or science to back it up, just seat of the pants experience. Between I9s and steel spoke'd wheels of similar weight the i9's feel drastically stiffer, like no comparison you'd be an idiot not to notice it stiffer. You can feel it when you accelerate, when you corner hard and when things get dicey. I have ridden steel spoke wheels that where as stiff but they where much heavier, had more spokes, and burlier rims.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Endomaniac said:
I've got no math or science to back it up, just seat of the pants experience. Between I9s and steel spoke'd wheels of similar weight the i9's feel drastically stiffer, like no comparison you'd be an idiot not to notice it stiffer. You can feel it when you accelerate, when you corner hard and when things get dicey. I have ridden steel spoke wheels that where as stiff but they where much heavier, had more spokes, and burlier rims.
Yep, this would be a case where resident "straw" scientists are just plain wrong. Aluminum or not, those huge spokes are going to make for a stiffer wheel than some tiny stainless wire.

That said, I still a big fan of good ole' 14 gauge spokes and won't be adding any I9's to my fleet. For me, I can't see a lot of real world benefit to having wheels any stiffer than what I have now.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Padre said:
i remember!
but i'm not arguing on the spokes thing...
i was just pretty sure that the hubs were much lighter..
i heard I9 was doing "regular" spokes that work in "regular" hubs now...any word on that?
I9 is not making regular "spokes" but rather now also make a hub that works with conventional spokes....though i for one would much rather have their spokes with their corresponding hubs made for their spokes, but i can see the logic in this addition to their lineup.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Endomaniac said:
agreed. textbooks need not apply...i dont give a crap what a diagram tells me when i can clearly tell a difference on the trail

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.