Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone else has had bearing preload issues with I9 hubs? I've got three sets of I9's and two of them will not stay tight. I have to re-tighten the adjusting cone after almost every ride. I've contacted their customer service, but they're not admitting any widespread issues. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I used to have this issue with Chris King hubs and ended up selling them due to this issue. I bought Hadley's to replace the Kings and never had a problem with them. I bought the I9's because they were lighter, looked cool and were a unique design which I like, but now I'm a little concerned.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
I have 2 pairs of I9 and have had zero issues with them. I have used both QR and their bolt on axle for the single speed ride. Initially setting the preload when installing new axles was a bit of a trick since I had no instructions, but was very easy to figure out.

One problem I could see is if the little grub screw is missing, cross threadded, or stripped then it would not hold the cone in place as tight. Don't know what size it is exactly, but I have a wrench that is reserved for this task alone as the standard tool kit does not fit tight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
WaState said:
I'm wondering if anyone else has had bearing preload issues with I9 hubs? I've got three sets of I9's and two of them will not stay tight. I have to re-tighten the adjusting cone after almost every ride. I've contacted their customer service, but they're not admitting any widespread issues. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had this issue.

I used to have this issue with Chris King hubs and ended up selling them due to this issue. I bought Hadley's to replace the Kings and never had a problem with them. I bought the I9's because they were lighter, looked cool and were a unique design which I like, but now I'm a little concerned.
How much do you weigh? I find it strange that you had the same problem with the CK hubs also??

I have I9's and have had no problems as well..

·
Registered
179 Posts
10mm x 135mm issues

I've had a ton of preload/inability to turn freely issues on my 2 sets, and have sent back and had I9 re-build twice now (including a set I bought off SSINGA). Finally settling in, but I'm telling you Hadley spanks I9 in quality and I just had another Hadley/Stans Flow set built because of this. I still have my I9's, but if I had to do it all over again I would just go with my Hadley's for superior workmanship. Spin a Hadley hub next to I9 sometime, 'nuff said.

I'll stick with the I9's, simply because I'm stubborn and want to figure them out.

Anyway, for what its worth, I9 acted shocked and like they had never heard of this, but my local bike shops all have said its preload issues and inability to hold up in water is well known, and anyone north of Seattle and through BC won't touch them supposedly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I live in Seattle and that may have something to do with it. My next step will be to get some Enduro bearings. When I first talked to I9 they said they purposely use a bearing that isn't sealed as well. They prefer a bearing that has less rolling resistance to one that has better seals. My bearings still roll smooth, but the damn things won't stay tight. I also don't like their method to tighten the adjusting cone. The tiny set screw scores the hell out of the axle which doesn't seem like a great idea.

With 20/20 hindsight, I wish I'd stuck with Hadley's as well. They are the only hub that I've used over the last fifteen years that has been bulletproof. The bearings need occasional replacement, but they're easy to install and I never had any play in them. Unfortunately I'm a bike addict and constantly have to fiddle with and replace frames and parts with the latest and supposed greatest parts. Being from Seattle, I hate quick release hubs because of all the technical terrain, but Hadley is the only thing that seems to work around here.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Phil Wood grease is really awesome stuff. I live in Seattle too and Phil grease is the only one that holds up to the constant mud and washing down of my bike.

Good to know the details of the I-9's so when I do the re-tension on them I will go ahead and repack 'em with the good stuff. Are they pretty straight forward to break down and lube?

Bob

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
WaState said:

I met a guy in St. George, UT and he had this exact problem. His wheels had been "fixed" several times by I-9 and several local bike shops. His most recent adjustment had been holding for a short while, but he wasn't too optimistic about it being a long term fix based on his previous results.

I'd have to say it's a known issue. It would be too much of a coincidence if the only pair I've laid eyes on in person and you were the only people with this problem. It probably isn't too common, however based on the number of respondents that haven't had problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thanks for the replies. I'm not a big guy (190ish) and don't ride any super extreme terrain, so these problems shouldn't be happening. To answer some of you, I tried the Phil Wood solution a couple weeks ago and it had no effect. The bearing still spins nice, it's not notchy or anything, but there is something going on. I'm going to replace the non-drive side bearing with an Enduro and see what happens.

The wheels are beautiful and they are stiff as hell. I haven't broken any spokes and they've stayed very true, but this issue is too much. I'm done with them if the Enduro solution doesn't work.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,641 Posts
i've owned a set w/the 20mm front since last february. a little more than a month back the rear hub seized up on me. i called i9 and was instructed to take the hub apart myself or have a dealer take it apart. i've been on vacation and have not wanted to deal w/it lately. around here (near santa cruz, ca) nobody wanted to sell me them to me, having some second thoughts now. i'll let you know what happens when i try 'n fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.