Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SS Pusher Man
7,621 Posts
zany2dmax said:

Since they refuse to refund my money (or refund the LBS money so they can refund my money) so I can get a wheelset I would have confidence in, I plan to sell the whole bike and re-order at this point. I had planned to head to North Georgia and ride hard out of Mulberry Gap and other long rides, but have ZERO confidence in this company or its product not to leave me high and dry stuck in the middle of the woods.
Sooooooooooo.............you are going to sell your near brand new Tallboy because your having issues with your I9 Wheels? :eek:ut:

Seems a bit over-dramatic. :cryin:

Buy a new set of wheels and, sell the I9's and be done with it.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I don't understand this.
Why sell the whole bike?
The tallboy is a sweet ride. I've actually considered drinking the 29er koolaid because of the tallboy.
Why not just get a sweet set of wheels handbuilt by a good wheelbuilder?
Like some Flows on CK or Hope hubs.
Just because you got the run around on your wheels doesn't mean you need to scrap the whole ride.
It sucks you had a bad experience with I9. I personally wouldn't buy their wheels, but only because I prefer to build my own with non proprietary parts that are easy to find/replace.
I've heard alot of good stuff about I9, but they are just not my cup of tea.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
Maybe you should try to get them to toss in some extra spokes. What are they, like $8/spoke?
+1 on the non proprietary parts. I had a set of the Mavic crossmaxes and the part that always worried me was popping a spoke in the middle of nowhere. Call me irrational, but anything more than a $2 spoke just seems a little pricey when it doesn't seem to work any better. You're $1250 would get you a rock solid custom built wheelset from someone with the confidence to stand behind their work (MikeSee) and the know how to get a bigger guy like you some thing that stands the test of time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
im with you on their lead times but i absolutely love my set. i was told 4-6 weeks and finally got them after 13 weeks but when they came in they were done in 26" instead of 29". it took another 2 weeks to get the right size in.

would i buy again? im sure i would but only used so i dont have to wait. mine have been flawless so far.

·
West Chester, PA
4,995 Posts
Once you get a straight set of I9 wheels you'll get able to get almost what you paid for them on ebay. They have a very good resale value due to the long wait to get them. Hopefully you didn't get a silly color that will be hard to sell.

In the meantime just get somebody to build you up some Flows with King hubs and move on.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Send me the bike , I will dispose of it in a safe and proper manner .

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Man - if you want an awesome wheelset, get the Shimano's. I haven't run the 29'er set but if it's ANYTHING close to the XT's, they will be light and solid. Keep an eye out on chainlove - they had a few for almost free (kidding, but they were on sale). I think I saw some on the classies too.

·
Legend
1,287 Posts
Sounds mostly like a manufacturing defect, something that should have been caught in I9 QC OR the LBS should have noticed it. I know quite a few people with the "goofy spoke" I9s and, though most hate them, it's not for their reliability (I am fairly certain none have had to retrue them yet).

Sounds like you had some out-of-tension spokes that fell out unbalancing everything and the wheel falls apart; sad it takes a while to get them back, but those I9s are being bought up as quickly as they can source the parts I am sure. If you don't completely hate the I9s (which I would imagine you'll not mind the replacement ones), I am sure you could swindle a pile of spokes (which are super spendy), some stickers, maybe some t-shirts and hats if you're into that. Maybe even a jersey (I got one from SantaCruz when I ordered my powder-coated SL which they didn't have so they gave me the blue ano one) if they even have such a thing.

Don't worry, getting proprietary bits that are a pain to fix is all part of the game ... take my Deemaxs (for example), you can blow out a whole side worth of spokes when you side-load them substantially (extra hard turning, casing a jump, etc); straight pull FTW.

·
Banned
921 Posts
Buyer beware for buying into a company that has 'entrance standards' for ownership, such as high prices, proprietary nature, and long waits for builds, service, and repairs.

Stop listening to the Turner homers when shopping.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
sometimes

SlowerJoe said:
I laced up some i9 classic hubs with dt alpine spokes and flow rims
great set of wheels without the silly spokes
I think i should have done this, but my I9 set up is good so far. I even had to replace one spoke in back and it was a little tense for a little bit,but it worked out. I think they should offer adaptors for straight pull stainless spokes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
P.S. The wheels I9 rebuilt are not the first one, they COMPLETELY remade them, moving me from the Cross Country to the Enduro's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I bought a Ferrari and still have Kia skills. Gonna get a decent little HT to ride till I am a much better/stronger rider.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
zany2dmax said:
No, I bought a Ferrari and still have Kia skills. Gonna get a decent little HT to ride till I am a much better/stronger rider.
Gotcha...I like that.

Gonna take a tough hit on that bike. Atleast get it up on the MTBR classifieds. The one thing you have going for you is that you are in Atlanta...but it's still craigslist.

·
Registered
258 Posts
the way i see it, his Tallboy has been tainted by the I9's. time to move on to another bike and start with a clean slate....a new chapter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts