Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano driver mounted on my ss rig. Last ride felt like my driver bearings started dragging and locking up. Ordered bearings and when I went to change them I found what looks like scoring from the drive ring. Anyone had something similar in past?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have owned several I-9's but have never observed that. How many miles?
I'm wondering if a SS plays a role with the power application?
Removed bearing condition other than previously stated?
I clean and grease the pawls ever moth or so, this is the 1st time this has happened. That driver has probably seen 2-3000 miles as a ss on iit and never whimpered. I sent pics to i9, so hopefully they have an answer. Looks like the axle has scoring on it too

·
Registered
107 Posts
Could you shoot me an email with some photos of the drive ring? The service email is a little backed up and we just lost a guy in the service department, so it might take a little longer for him to get back to you. My email is [email protected]
That's really unusual to have that freehub polished like that.

Shimano driver mounted on my ss rig. Last ride felt like my driver bearings started dragging and locking up. Ordered bearings and when I went to change them I found what looks like scoring from the drive ring. Anyone had something similar in past? View attachment 1945052 View attachment 1945053

·
Registered
405 Posts
Failing bearings will usually cause the freehub body to tilt and potentially contact the drive ring under load, which results in scoring on the freehub body between the pawls.

My guess:
  • If the marks / polishing is only between some pawls / part rotation then you have a bent shaft
  • If the marks are between all pawls / full rotation then you have bad bearings in either the hub and/or freehub.

Me and a friend consistenly get about 1600km on a set of Hydra bearings before the cr*p Enduro bearing seals fail, let water in and the bearings are done. I wouldbe VERY surprised if your bearings were still OK after 3000 miles!

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
Failing bearings will usually cause the freehub body to tilt and potentially contact the drive ring under load, which results in scoring on the freehub body between the pawls.

My guess:
  • If the marks / polishing is only between some pawls / part rotation then you have a bent shaft
  • If the marks are between all pawls / full rotation then you have bad bearings in either the hub and/or freehub.

Me and a friend consistenly get about 1600km on a set of Hydra bearings before the cr*p Enduro bearing seals fail, let water in and the bearings are done. I wouldbe VERY surprised if your bearings were still OK after 3000 miles!
Agreed, this is good info ^

Of course Shaquille o'Wheel is probably the best person to help you diagnose and get it fixed though.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
12,534 Posts
Only option i found was the Enduro bearing i9 sells. Id love something better!!
Recent conversation (sh*t show) on quality bearings. Where to buy bearings with superior durability?

SKF, NTN, F.A.G., etc. lots of other better options. Just be aware that many of the bearings you find on eBay and probably Amazon are fake. Buy from a trusted source. (Hambini is legit but overseas.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recent conversation (sh*t show) on quality bearings. Where to buy bearings with superior durability?

SKF, NTN, F.A.G., etc. lots of other better options. Just be aware that many of the bearings you find on eBay and probably Amazon are fake. Buy from a trusted source. (Hambini is legit but overseas.)
Saw that giant post! Would have no idea of what exact size bearings I would need for replacement! Idk if i9 even lists bearing sizes on website. The hydra bearings are quick and easy to change anyway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yes, the bearings are made by Enduro. The sizes are available on the i9 Hydra product support page but TBH the i9 bearing kit price is not bad so I would just order that. I have an SKF one waiting to go on once the NDS bearing in mine gives, again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, the bearings are made by Enduro. The sizes are available on the i9 Hydra product support page but TBH the i9 bearing kit price is not bad so I would just order that. I have an SKF one waiting to go on once the NDS bearing in mine gives, again.

Looks like these might work as a replacement 6108 bearings. 20mmx30mmx7mm. IDK if they better quality, but they are about the same cost wise

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.