Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took these the other day. Is this amount of chain-suck common in these hubs? If it is, I cannot believe the amount of praise that these hubs get. With the bike in the stand, I could pedal backwards and have the wheel spinning backwards full speed within a few seconds.

We've had two sets on I9 hubs come thru the shop and they have BOTH done this.

*I just uploaded this videos so they may be a bit sketchy.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that I could tell, they rolled smooth... just seemed like alot of friction, which caused some pretty nasty chain suck. Like I said, this is the second set we have seen the do the SAME thing.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
Not what I would call chain-suck. More like poor hub freewheeling. I'd ride them, then see how they were after the break in adjustment.

My CK's did that a little bit on my road bike until after the first adjustment.

·
Gears, beers and slices..
316 Posts
You work in a shop, so why don't you check with Industry 9 directly instead of asking a bunch of goofballs here for opinions of whether that's normal or not. They're great to deal with, and will likely get back to you right away with proper advice about what you're seeing.

Geting comments like "over hyped- over engaged - over sealed garbage" isn't at all helpful, for a shop or the customer.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Did you try backing off the bearing preload a bit? Looks to me like they're either new (not broken in) or not adjusted properly.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bike was not in for service on the hubs, so I did not attempt to adjust them. I just see the good reputation that these hubs have on these boards and I wondered if this was a norm them them. From the sounds of it, guess not.

I have dealt with I9, their customer service is very good, and reliable. I am not here to slam these hubs, just here to see if other people experience the same thing. FWIW, The craftsmanship on the hub and wheel build in general is top-notch.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The I9's have 6 pawls as as option. With this you get near instantaneous engagement, but at the cost of more freehub drag. I haven't looked at the vid, but if they have been left unserviced for a bit then the drag gets bad. Like all high-end parts - you need to make sure you do regular maintenance.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
If your kings did that, they are either new or need to be serviced. My kings started the chain suck thing and I had them serviced and it was gone.

ilostmypassword said:
Same as what my Kings did. Over hyped- over engaged - over sealed garbage. Hopes are where it is at.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Interesting and timely. Just came upon this thread because of the recent post. I have had my I9 AM wheelset for about a month now and every aspect of performance has been ideal so far....except this. I too have been frustrated by the amount of drag, and consequently chain suck, on my high speed descents. I cannot descend in top gear, like I have with every other wheelset I've owned (King, Mavic) without this very thing happening. I'm not completely sold on the value of instant engagement, so I'll probably be removing 3 of the 6 pawls per the manual's instructions, in the hopes that this reduces the excessive drag I'm experiencing. I'm almost certain it will help, so I'm not too worried about the situation.....but I've gotta admit it's frustrating right now every time I point it downhill and want to keep pedaling.

I know this may sound ridiculous to some, but other than this issue, I love these wheels. They have remained spot on true and solid through a lot of high-speed rock and root garden abuse thus far. But I've gotta lose the chain suck.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Yup, mine does the same tho not quite as pronounced (and I have recently serviced them - replacing their gunky garbage grease with CK ring lube helped but didn't cure the drag). Overpriced overhyped bling garbage if you ask me. Should have gone with my first instincts - Hadleys like I have on my 823 wheelset. At least they should go fast on E-bay! LOL

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The set i had always dragged a bit making the chain slack,Could never stop it,Everytime i changed the bearings(quite regularly) it was worse for about 5 hrs of riding.
I did try everything else but couldnt get rid of that problem.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
When you remove three pawls does it still have acceptable engagement? Current engagement is outstanding but I could sacrifice some since it's just on my trail bike and not critical for skinnies like on my FR rig.

Thanks!

G

·
No. Just No.
5,355 Posts
Gman086 said:
When you remove three pawls does it still have acceptable engagement? Current engagement is outstanding but I could sacrifice some since it's just on my trail bike and not critical for skinnies like on my FR rig.
With only 3 pawls there's still 60 POE, which is more than almost any other hubs and just slightly less than CK or Hadley 72 POE for example. Actual number of pawls engaged at any given time doesn't change from what I understand 3 of 6 installed no matter if you have, since the second set of pawls (e.g. 1/3/5 vs 2/4/6) is offset a half a click from the other set of pawls.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.