Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating getting a 29er wheelset for my 2018 SC Tallboy. I've only been into mountain biking for a little less than a year so I'm still learning.

My LBS is suggesting Nextie with the i9 Hydra Boost 32h hubs.

Currently I'm 6'6" 300lbs, down from 349. Long term my goal weight is 240 so there's that. Are these the right hubs for a big dude like me? I need to know because those things are spendy and the wife hasn't fully let go of the fact that I spent so much on a "bicycle".

I'm not a super aggressive rider. No jumping or super technical or rocky trails. But I do put a lot of power down, so something stout is a must.

I've read a little about DT 350 hubs. Are they comparable?

What other options are out there? Are they cheaper, or all quality hubs pretty much the same price.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
What hubs do you currently have and have they been reliable for you?

I would get dt swiss 350 with an 18 or 36 tooth ratchet. They are pretty reliable for bigger guys. I know people who have had them for 15+ years. Generally speaking, ratchet hubs like dt swiss are more reliable than pawl hubs. The new industry 9 hubs have not been on the market for long enough to have much real world feedback. The older ones would pop on occasion when all 3 pawls were not synced up. Whatever you decide, avoid stans and formula hubs

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
881 Posts
Pricey but Chris Kings w steal driver are a great option. Maybe also consider Onyx. Don’t know too much about Hydras as they are new but should be solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
I vary from 240-260 so I’m a baby Clyde comparatively, but, I’ve had bearing issue after bearing issue. At first I kept blowing up outboard hub driver bearings on my Onyx hubs. Then I was blowing up front dt 240s hubs. Then I went with Chris King and I’ve been good, it’s only been 6 months but I haven’t gone that long without a hub bearing failure in the last 3 years since I started riding again.
Ruling out jumps and drops, the other problem is just cranking up steep trails. That puts a ridiculous amount of stress on the rear wheel. For sure, a 32h 3x pattern minimum but a 36h rear hub and wheel would be even stronger and problem proof. If you go the 36h route, I’d recommend White Industries hubs as CK doesn’t make a 36h hub.
For rims, sure, nothing wrong with Nextie. I use LB rims and they’ve been great.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Are your current wheels not holding up? That sounds like a hell of an upsell, especially for a newer rider.

If you keep destroying every hub you have and you're tired of down time, go with Chris King hubs. If they're too expensive go with DT 350's.

Most people don't fall in the hub destroyer category and can run basically anything out there above the low end.

Nexties are good, but so are lots of rims.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are your current wheels not holding up? That sounds like a hell of an upsell, especially for a newer rider.

If you keep destroying every hub you have and you're tired of down time, go with Chris King hubs. If they're too expensive go with DT 350's.

Most people don't fall in the hub destroyer category and can run basically anything out there above the low end.

Nexties are good, but so are lots of rims.
My current wheels are holding up fine, and I'm not destroying hubs. I just want to upgrade to 29ers. And my LBS recommended I try the Nexties since they have a lower price barrier for entry into carbon rims. And that's when the conversation about hubs came in. What I definitely want is better engagement, so he mentioned the i9s. But once I saw the price I figured there had to be something less expensive out there.

So then for someone like me, what route would you go when building a new set of wheels?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What hubs do you currently have and have they been reliable for you?
I currently have Novatec D642 hubs. So far so good with about 700 miles on them. But what I definitely don't like is the engagement. Before I even knew anything about hubs and such, I didn't like the delay in my pedaling stroke. So now I'm glad to know I don't have to settle for this hub.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I've been contemplating getting a 29er wheelset for my 2018 SC Tallboy. I've only been into mountain biking for a little less than a year so I'm still learning.

My LBS is suggesting Nextie with the i9 Hydra Boost 32h hubs.

Currently I'm 6'6" 300lbs, down from 349. Long term my goal weight is 240 so there's that. Are these the right hubs for a big dude like me? I need to know because those things are spendy and the wife hasn't fully let go of the fact that I spent so much on a "bicycle".

I'm not a super aggressive rider. No jumping or super technical or rocky trails. But I do put a lot of power down, so something stout is a must.

I've read a little about DT 350 hubs. Are they comparable?

What other options are out there? Are they cheaper, or all quality hubs pretty much the same price.
i9 hubs and carbon rims for a 300lb dude that's been riding for a year sounds like a hell of an up-sell.

You have wheels and so far they're working. You don't need new wheels. Weight savings is 103% meaningless when you weigh over ~220lbs, and we're beyond the days of 24 spokes on production wheels.

Wanna throw money at your bike? Get a fat guy shock tune. Or 3 different sets of tires and experiment with pressure. Or some oversized grips. Those things will make a real difference. Better yet, go on a trip!

They sound like nice wheels, but it's still an unproven hub... and you're not going to notice any difference beyond placebo effect. You can get totally solid 29er wheels for MUCH less. Even then i wouldn't get too hung up over it; at our size we can run a 1100g tire and get those damping/tracking benefits without paying the same drag penalty as the little guys, at least in relative terms.

Reactions: eri

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i9 hubs and carbon rims for a 300lb dude that's been riding for a year sounds like a hell of an up-sell.
It wasn't so much an upsell as it was he was answering my questions. And me not being well-versed in bike tech didn't know what follow up questions to ask. So that's why I came here to the forum.

They sound like nice wheels, but it's still an unproven hub... and you're not going to notice any difference beyond placebo effect. You can get totally solid 29er wheels for MUCH less.
What I really want out of a hub is durability and more points of engagement. So if you can suggest a direction for me to go in for a 29er build that doesn't break the bank, then please share the intel. This is the sort of info I'm hoping for. I need details!:)

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,834 Posts
The DT 350 is strong with the 18t ratchet, but you'll need to spend another $100 to get the 36t which still isn't that much frankly and now you're in White Industries territory.

Hope is priced about the same as DT 350, has 44 POE and comes in blingy colors. Great bang for your buck, but they are super loud. If that doesn't bother you then it's a good option. You also have the option to upgrade to the stainless steel freehub at no extra cost.

Above those you have White Industries and Hadley. Both $300-330 for the rear hub. They have 48poe and 72poe respectively, are both made in the USA, and both have a Titanium freehub body. Both excellent hubs.

You don't need to go with carbon rims if you don't want to, a good durable aluminum rim will be just fine. Something asymmetric and eyeleted would build a nice strong wheel.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
I currently have Novatec D642 hubs. So far so good with about 700 miles on them. But what I definitely don't like is the engagement. Before I even knew anything about hubs and such, I didn't like the delay in my pedaling stroke. So now I'm glad to know I don't have to settle for this hub.
Wait, if I'm not mistaken the D642 has 84POE and you are complaining about slow engagement?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I'm not as big as you, but have found LBS will suggest the same components to me as they would a 150lb rider. That seems like the case with the I9 hubs, they really aren't any different then cheap Chinese hubs with regards to how they transmit power.

With that being said, if you never want to worry about your hubs again....Chris King is the hub to get. They are expensive, but I don't know if you will find more then a hand full of complaints EVER posted about their durability. DT350 is another popular choice too.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ok, the dt 350s are probably not the best choice then because the engagement is not high. Keep in mind that as the number of points of engagement goes up the ratchet teeth get smaller. That means in theory they are less robust for bigger riders. Sprag designs like Onyx hubs take a different approach, so those are worth checking out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,209 Posts
I9 had their new 600+ points of engagement hydra hubs at a race recently, I inspected their cut-away examples and I can't say I was impressed by the machining, they have tiny teeth to achieve the crazy POE, but the machining did not look clean. As you make things smaller, it's harder to keep tolerances. Would it affect anything? I don't know, their design is a variation of the basic pawl setup as far as function.

As mentioned above, CK is a good choice, it's a similar mechanism to DT, but it's at an angle which causes continuous engagement, so it's even better at high torque/load and of course "POE" is nearly instant.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, the dt 350s are probably not the best choice then because the engagement is not high. Keep in mind that as the number of points of engagement goes up the ratchet teeth get smaller. That means in theory they are less robust for bigger riders.
I was wondering about this yesterday as I was watching videos about hubs. Thanks for saying this. Definitely puts things into a different perspective.

Perhaps my expectations when it comes to engagement are misplaced due to me being new to all this. In the end, when I do get the 29er wheelset, it just want it to be something I'm happy with and won't have to worry too much about. I'd like to accomplish that without selling the farm.

So, any recommendations on a good 29er wheelsset, alloy or carbon? And a good, strong hub that won't break the bank?

·
CEO Product Failure
2,139 Posts
Pricey but Chris Kings w steal driver are a great option. Maybe also consider Onyx. Don't know too much about Hydras as they are new but should be solid.
6', currently 245lbs (highest weight in last 10ys was 330+lbs). I tried I9's, they died within 3 mo's. They were warrantieed and my 140lb wife has them on her race HT.

That being said I have Kings on all of my bikes except my Fatboy. I don't believe King has a fat bike hub available.

My spec on the hubs is a DH through axle and steel tandem freehub body. I clean/service the hubs on my primary bike (5" duallie trail bike) twice a year and once a year on my road bike. I ride a campy equipped road bike with King R45 hubs. In all I have Kings on my SS, my 5" trail bike, my HT, my road bike, my DH bike, and my son has them on his 4" trail bike. I love my Kings.

Edited to add: 1/2 of my King hubs are second hand. I clean and refurb them myself and haven't experienced any performance difference.

Reactions: Skeptastic

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
So, any recommendations on a good 29er wheelsset, alloy or carbon? And a good, strong hub that won't break the bank?
For me... I'd get a shop or a custom wheelbuilder to lace up something just for you. It is not really more expensive than complete wheelsets and you can get exactly what you want. See https://lacemine29.com/index.html he is an active member here and will steer you in the right direction if you contact him thru his website.

For rims i'd choose DT swiss EX series in a heartbeat. DT EX511 if you want 30mm internal width, DT EX471 if you want 25mm internal width.

For hubs you could go with DT350 if points of engagement isn't the #1 factor for you, but price and reliability are. If POE is the #1 factor and budget is no concern, look at Onyx, Hydra, or Chris King. My opinion is that high POE hubs are very overrated. They are loud, draggy, expensive, and high maintenance. Lots of people love them though, so if you like 'em, go for it.

I am 250#, been riding the DT350 and DT240 hubs with DT EX rims on my bikes for a while now and they have been basically flawless. I have broken some lighter weight rims in the past.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.