Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the industry 9 all mountain wheelset in for bike park use? I'm thinking about getting a set of these wheels for an intense slopestyle2 I am building. The bike will mainly be for trails I have to self shuttle, some trail riding and ocassional trips to the bike park. The bike would be built focused more towards flowy trails with jumps and drops, rather than rock gardens and gnarlly stuff. I am planning on running the new maxxis minion DHF 3c EXO 26x2.5 tires. The i9 AM wheels have an internal width of 20.5mm so the sizing should be OK.

My main question is, would the i9 AM rims hold up to jumps and drops and maybe a few days at Whistler if I can manage to get out West this year.

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had a set 2 yrs. ago.
At the time all they saw was trail riding.
The spokes are easily damaged by rocks. Had to replace them more than I would have liked. And the bearings wore out in less than 5 months. They were toast.
But they sure are pretty. Maybe they are better now. I wouldn't know. I won't buy another set.

All I can tell you is how much I love my Hadleys. Bomber!

No more I9 for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a set with the same wheels and they would do fine at Whistler. I've even ridden them through rock garden, but never anything real loose because I fear getting rocks in the spokes. I have a set of Outlaws for anything gnarly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brickbrick said:
I have a set with the same wheels and they would do fine at Whistler. I've even ridden them through rock garden, but never anything real loose because I fear getting rocks in the spokes. I have a set of Outlaws for anything gnarly.
brickbrick, so you think the i9 AM rims would be ok for drops and jumps and like at the bike parks?

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
I would go with the enduro rims for the riding you describe. They are about 500g and have a wider profile than the am hoops.
You will love the ride of the I9s, way stiffer than a steel spoked wheel and instant engagement. I have three years on a set of I9 dh wheels and they are still going as strong as the day I bought them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about the enduro hoops, but I'm only about 160lbs with gear and the AMs are just 2mm narrower. So, I think I can go with the AMs to save a little weight.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Buy once cry once. I've DHed the enduros a few times at diablo through some of the rock on Test of Metal and Slayer and I weigh about 100#s more than you. 2mm ain't saving you that much weight but will give you that much more confidence. I have mine serviced every year or two, no issue for past 4 years and I have 4 sets in the house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.