Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a centerlock hub. I know what rotors to purchase, but what do in need to keep the rotor on? This is for an Industry 9 hub if that makes a difference.
.thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I use I9 center lock and had to use the shimano center lock nut with freeza rotors. Stock ones from I9 didnt work

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
34,568 Posts
I have not received lockrings with any centerlock rotors I've bought over the years, fwiw.

I wouldn't count on them being included unless the listing specifies that lockrings are included.

3 bikes in my garage have centerlock hubs (1 of which is industry nine). 2 of those bikes are using centerlock-6 bolt adapters with 6 bolt rotors, and the lockrings came with the adapters. 1 of those bikes just has qr hubs, so it uses the smaller cassette-style lockrings. The other 2 bikes use the larger bb-type lockrings that work with thru axles. 1 uses DT Swiss lockrings (which work well), and the other has Ashima adapters/lockrings and they don't play as nice with the socket-style bb tool that I have because the lockring interface is so thin.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Every Shimano centerlock rotor I've ever bought has come with a lockring. I believe SRAM centerlock rotors do not come with them though.

Assuming you have a 12mm rear thru axle and a 15 mm front, here's what you'll need:
For the front, you'll want one of these. To install, you'll need a 16-notch external BB tool, the kind you'd use to install an outboard Shimano BB, for example. I'm partial to the socket style tools such as the Park BBT-69.2.

For the rear, if you're buying Shimano rotors, use the one that's included in the package. It looks like this, and is installed with a standard cassette lockring tool.

The kind that I advised for the front works aok for the rear, so if you're buying rotors that don't come with lockrings, then you might as well buy two of those, instead of having to use two different tools front and rear.

And lastly, if your rotors do come with lockrings, you actually can install the included one up front by removing the hub's endcap during installation. You'll see it written that those lockrings aren't compatible with 15 mm thru-axles, but that's only half-true. The lockring's inner diameter is greater than 15mm, but the problem is that the endcap will interfere with the cassette lockring tool. On I9s, which have really easily removed endcaps, you can just pop that off, install the lockring with the cassette tool, then put the endcap back on.

Lots of options...

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
Shimano comes with lockings, only if you buy the retail package.

The Park BBT-69.2 works well. What you need to look for is the flat face. The wrench style also works.

I tend to always buy the lock rings for the front and use them on the rear too. Also, when I buy the 6 bolt adapters I also get additional lock rings for front thru axles. I tend to not use the cassette type tool version, just to have the same interface, and it's easier to check that it's tight with a crescent wrench style tool without dropping the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.