Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are times I can't get out and ride but I have a stationary bike that keeps me somewhat conditioned for local rides, but my question is how long should you train with this method? The geometry is close to that of my MTBike so should I train as long as a normal 2 hour ride or will 40-50 minutes indoors be acceptable. I do interval training as well so does that make a difference?

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Get a training video or two. In 50-80 minutes you can get one heck of a work-out with intervals, pyramids and all kinds of other torturous methods that keep you in tip-top shape.

I think I have a Spinervals video and the one that came with my Cyclops. I like the Spinerval one a little better though.

mbb

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
253 Posts
80 Minutes ???

Wow...I really suck...I thought I was doing good with 45. Granted, I just bought a trainer again and am getting used to it but man it isn't as easy as I remember.

·
Registered
341 Posts
When you are not entertained, or being pushed to work harder (or something) it is easy to be happy with 30-40 miuntes. Some days I am happy with 20 minutes, because I am bored out of my mind! I'm glad to be riding, but whatever is on TV just ain't quite "enough" to keep me interested.

You can be content with whatever though because 10 minutes on the trainer is better than ten minutes on the sofa!!! :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
I tend to do about 40 mins a session.

I use a Turbo trainer with the road bike. I do find that it is harder on the body ( numb nuts etc) than it was when i used the old fashioned rollers. That will be down to being in more or less the one position all the time.

At least with the rollers you moved about a bit which changes the pressure points and joint angles.

I also find my feet get sore. Happens with road or MTB shoes. Never a problem out on the road/trail, so must be down to constant pressure on one area.

Oh, and i must buy a electric fan. Damn it's hot indoors !!

·
Registered
310 Posts
30-70 minutes

after about an hour, i get really tired of being on the trainer. i will do some short interval work and some longer workouts with videos. most of the videos i have seen are about an hour. that is usually a pretty good workout.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
1 hour typically. After that it gets old real quick it seems.

I just now got off the trainer while doing a CTS dvd. They make the time go by waaaay faster.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
If you have a training plan, follow it, whether you are on the road or on the trainer, whether it calls for 1 hour or 4 hours.

Trainer workouts are more efficient than road work, but not to the tune of 50%. More like 5-10%.

Are you just riding to ride, or are you trying to get base miles in? I have had seasons where 3 hour trainer rides were unavoidable if I wanted to stay on track for my racing season - for rides of that length, I suggest getting some old racing videos rather than the Jane-Fonda-Aerobics-On-A-Bike-In-An-Hour stuff. WCP used to do some really nice double features, like Milan San Remo and Amstel gold, from the year that Zabel won. That will get you through a few hours. I also suggest the 92 World Road Championships in Oslo - you have never seen so many dudes crash.

FWIW, interval sessions on the trainer can be very effective. You tend to be much more focused, and they actually helped me to learn to become more focused on my effort, which paid off later in races when I needed to really concentrate to go hard.

·
pillage! plunder! 4 parts
253 Posts
I just open the door....

stucol said:
Oh, and i must buy a electric fan. Damn it's hot indoors !!
I haven't turned on the heat yet....it is about 40 degrees outside after the sun goes down. Sure, I could ride outside but my neighbor just got mowed down riding in the dark.

·
Registered
443 Posts
chuky said:
If you have a training plan, follow it, whether you are on the road or on the trainer, whether it calls for 1 hour or 4 hours.

Trainer workouts are more efficient than road work, but not to the tune of 50%. More like 5-10%.

Are you just riding to ride, or are you trying to get base miles in? I have had seasons where 3 hour trainer rides were unavoidable if I wanted to stay on track for my racing season - for rides of that length, I suggest getting some old racing videos rather than the Jane-Fonda-Aerobics-On-A-Bike-In-An-Hour stuff. WCP used to do some really nice double features, like Milan San Remo and Amstel gold, from the year that Zabel won. That will get you through a few hours. I also suggest the 92 World Road Championships in Oslo - you have never seen so many dudes crash.

FWIW, interval sessions on the trainer can be very effective. You tend to be much more focused, and they actually helped me to learn to become more focused on my effort, which paid off later in races when I needed to really concentrate to go hard.
riding on a trainer for 4 hrs would burn anyone out.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
I have the 40 min tape that came with the cycleops--then I have the uphill grind and I forget the name of this one that are 50 min long. And I have mental toughness which is an 85 min workout. I've sat on the recumbant spinner for up to almost 4 hours at a time in Iraq--and that was no tapes just CNN or my Creative MuVo MP3 player..

I've found the best for weight loss, and this was also while in Iraq where we were fed tons of all you can eat high fat calories, for me, was to spin for 1 to 2 hrs 5X week--3 of those 5 times followed up with 30 minutes on the treadmill at moderate to high speed. Mix in a bunch of crunches and pushups. Discipline yourself to a hardboiledegg, fruit and oatmeal at breakfast and sensible portions at lunch and dinner. When the stomach starts gnawing on itself from starving--a harvest power bar--up to 2 daily. On this regimen I lost 25 pounds in about 2 months and came back to Hawaii and earned a physical fitness excellence badge--1st in 19 years of military service.

Sadly I gained all that weight back but I am starting to spin again--the 85 minute tape is no problemo. Spinervals is also on DVD.

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
Not if you are following a training plan. Lots of people do it. Just not casual riders.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
An hour is all I can handle

I ride my hardtail on the trainer with a monster comfort saddle to "Climbing 2" a Chris Carmichael video. It's a good workout if you gear down to pedal hard, takes just a little over an hour. Sometimes I start off with "The Collective" for the first 38 minutes then train to the last half hour of "Climbing 2". I can't imagine it builds up the same strength as grinding up some really steep singletrack but it beats not doing any "riding" at all during this long cold snowy Colorado winter.

·
Registered
13,171 Posts
Been doing way too much trainer this winter.

Four days a week on the trainer. I use my XC mtb with a slick on the back and do it for an hour. with 3 or 4 standing sprints lasting 2-3 minutes every 10 minutes or so. I watch movies or sports to stave off the boredom

Two days a week I lift weights for an hour. It's the only time I ever work on my upper body so I guess that's worth something.

I want some real trail riding...... sooooooon.

·
boomer
888 Posts
Glad you asked 'cause I've been wondering the same thing. After 30 minutes my mind is toast. I've been either riding or spinning 5 days per week this year and found the trainer "ok"; two more weeks of this ice covering NE Oklahoma and I may take a bat to the thing though to take me out of my misery.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I tend to do from 45 - 60 minutes a session, with the front deraileur in the 2nd position and the rear in the 4/5 position. I maintain a decent cadence constant throughout the session and for the last 5 minutes, slow it down to cool down. Your heart only needs about 30 min at the optimum beat rate to be healthy for like 3 - 4 times a week or so isn't it?

Optimumly, you would train as you ride. If you ride 3 hours, then train 3 hours. That would be the best bet.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
how long to train

Because of time constraints my rides are only 1 1/2 hrs max so training for an hour is OK. I read somewhere that John Stamsted (is that how you spell his name?) the Iditabike guy used to train for 14 hours staring at a wall, thinking if he could get through that he could bike in the snow for days no problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.