Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of numbers are you getting when doing self testing on your indoor trainer?
No cheating, no bragging, just the facts please. If everyone uses the same format it might be interesting to compare with others. I'm using metric, the international measurement of cycling. If you use Imperial (mph) please list that. For conversion 1km = 0.625miles
** List your race history/goals for comparison. I don't want to wake up one morning and see that some guy has been busting out 500 watts for an hour steady unless his name is Tinker Juarez.

date: 01/22/07
sex: male
race history/goals: not bad at endurance stuff, suck at shorter XC races, trying to podium for TransRockies 2007 mixed/80+ age group

distance: 5km time trial from 0km/h (not a rolling start)
trainer: 1UpUSA w/road bike
gear: 53/16
time: 7:35
avg speed: 39.6 km/h (24.7mph)
avg power: 320 watts (from 1UpUSA power chart)
avg rpm: 95ish
avg HR: 159
max HR: 168 (max for this workout = 168, 96% of absolute max)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Any reason to use the 16t? I'll try and post up my 5k TT from my next trainer/rollers workout, but would likely keep a MUCH higher average speed over 5 minutes in the 53/11.

FWIW, in my 53/11 I can hammer the "8" in my 3X8X5 sets (3 min. FAST pedaling/low gear, 8 minutes on "full blast" / super-threshold, and 5 minutes recovery. I love these long sets and build up to a 54-56 km/h pace for that last 8 minute push of the three in the set.

What's the math on that? Say 55 km/h would take... um, 1/11th of an hour at that slightly longer duration/pace to hit 5k? Or roughly 5 1/2 minutes. I think. And the HR is roughly 90% - 92% for that 8 minute push

I'll try a from-standing-still to 5k TT and post up - just explain the gearing deal...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
finally, a fellow lab rat

glenzx said:
Any reason to use the 16t?
That was just the gear I used for my own TT. Use whatever gear works for you and post it.

glenzx said:
I'll try and post up my 5k TT from my next trainer/rollers workout, but would likely keep a MUCH higher average speed over 5 minutes in the 53/11.
Power (measured in watts) is the key to equal comparison here. Does your trainer have a power readout? Mine just has a chart that states power for a given speed, nothing fancy like a PowerTap. The chart, available on the 1UpUSA website, does offer data for Kurt Kinetic and Cyclops trainers as well if that helps. I've tried the same test on rollers a few years ago and, although I can't recall the numbers, do remember it being much easier due to there being less resistance compared to the trainer.

Fill in the "form" below when you post again

date: mm/dd/yy
sex: _____
race history/goals: ____________

trainer: ________
gear: __/__
time: m:ss
avg speed: __._ km/h (__._mph)
avg power: ___ watts
avg rpm: __ish
avg HR: ___
max HR: ___ (max for this workout = ___, __% of absolute max)

·
No. Just No.
5,386 Posts
calgarydave said:
Power (measured in watts) is the key to equal comparison here.
Actually, power to weight should be the key to equal comparison. You have not provided any weight data in your suggested format.

Of course, if you're interested in pancake flat TT performance potential, then power to frontal area would be more valuable.

Power by itself tells a bit of the story, but certainly not the whole picture.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do these shorts make my butt look fat?

Circlip said:
Actually, power to weight should be the key to equal comparison. You have not provided any weight data in your suggested format.
Good point as weight is definitely relative to cycling performance.

date: mm/dd/yy
sex: _____
weight: ____ lbs
brief race history/goals: ____________

trainer: ________
gear: __/__
avg speed: __._ km/h (__._mph)
avg HR: ___
max HR: ___ (max for this workout = ___, __% of absolute max)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Circlip said:

Of course, if you're interested in pancake flat TT performance potential, then power to frontal area would be more valuable.

Power by itself tells a bit of the story, but certainly not the whole picture.
True dat! If frontal area figures into the calcs - I'm hosed at my winter weight & profile!

About rollers vs. stationary trainer (I have a mid-level Cyclops) - I find I can actually scream on the trainer too, as there's a stability factor at high speeds thats reassuring. Above 55Km/h on the rollers, I'm expending a good measure of effort to stay smooth and in fact just to stay on the rollers! I do use a resistance unit on them as well, as freely spinning makes for super-fast riding, and I max out in 53/11 quickly. Does make for a great super-high cadence, tire smokin' workout though.

About Power - I have no means to measure power, short of the trainer/speed/gearing calcs. I'm a big dude and can crank out good wattage - but as Circlip noted, the wattage to weight is the key, and right now, I'm messing up that ratio by carrying the winter flab-a-roni! I was cookin last summer and sneaking up to respectable numbers, but traing and racing are secondary now, what with a new kid,new job, and infirmed family pet... *sigh*

But it's a deal - I'll "fill in the blanks" tomorrow with the results, though I'm trashed NOW from a 2.5 hour pre-dawn frigid cold training ride this a.m. It'll be a recovery TT!

:)

Here are the preliminary stats:

sex: M
weight: 175 lbs :eek: (Usually around 165 - 168)
height: 6'-0"
brief race history/goals: Done just about everything - Solo 24's, NORBA Nat's XC, STXC, Marathon, HC; Local & Regional XC events, some local & Colorado CAT 4 / ACA "B" Road Races, and last but not least - ride & race promoter locally!

trainer: Cyclops Mag Trainer
gear: 53 / 11
time: avg speed: __._ km/h (__._mph)
avg HR:

max HR: 196 (max for this workout = ___, __% of absolute max)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts

·
gearhead
72 Posts
another guinea pig......

Date: 12/3/06
Sex: Male
Weight: 163 pounds / 74 kg(currently @ 161 - yes, I lost over the holidays:D )
Race history/goals: racing xc at the comp level in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Got one each 1st, second, and third place age placings last season and finished third overall in the Minnesota series. Best result (by far) was 104th overall at the Chequamegon 40. Looking to step up again this season - get an overall(not just age group) comp win and top 50 at Chequamegon. Will also dabble in longer races for the first time - Laramie Enduro and the marathon at the Phoenix national.

Time: 8 minutes (rolling start)
Trainer setup: road bike with a Power Tap on a cycleops fluid trainer
Gear: I have no idea
Average cadence: 94.4 rpm
Average HR: 183.2
Max HR: 188 (highest I saw last season was 197, so 95.4% of absolute maximum)

Average power: 323.7W, 4.37 W/KG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here are my numbers (1 hour Pace Ride)

date: 01/23/07
weight: 137 lbs
brief race history/goals: 2nd overall in Sport Class 06 (Minnesota State Championship Series). Making jump to Expert for 07.

distance: 1 hour pace ride well below LT (HR 160, approx LT HR 180)
trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
gear: 42/13
avg speed: 32.0 km/h (19.9 mph)
avg power: 260 watts
avg rpm: 85 ish
avg HR: 160
max HR: 196 (max for this workout = 165, 85% of absolute max)

I have not yet started working high intensity workouts into the plan. I did some prelimary testing about 1 month ago and my 20 min TT was 20.1 mph and I can now easily sustain that pace for over an hour. My typical endurance rides (3 - 4 hours) average around 18.5 mph (about 225 watts).

I am interested in how these numbers compare and if they indicate whether I would be ready to make the jump to Expert. From an endurance standpoint I have made huge improvements over last year and technically I am a very strong rider (typically excelling more as the course gets tougher).

·
gearhead
72 Posts
Hmmmm......

dejorn said:
date: 01/23/07
brief race history/goals: 2nd overall in Sport Class 06 (Minnesota State Championship Series). Making jump to Expert for 07.

distance: 1 hour pace ride well below LT (HR 160, approx LT HR 180)
trainer: Kurt Kinetic Road Machine
gear: 42/13
avg speed: 32.0 km/h (19.9 mph)
avg power: 360 watts
avg rpm: 85 ish
avg HR: 160
max HR: 196 (max for this workout = 165, 85% of absolute max)

I have not yet started working high intensity workouts into the plan. I did some prelimary testing about 1 month ago and my 20 min TT was 20.1 mph and I can now easily sustain that pace for over an hour. My typical endurance rides (3 - 4 hours) average around 18.5 mph (about 225 watts).

I am interested in how these numbers compare and if they indicate whether I would be ready to make the jump to Expert. From an endurance standpoint I have made huge improvements over last year and technically I am a very strong rider (typically excelling more as the course gets tougher).
So you're getting 360 watts for how long? And only hitting 85% of your max HR? Sorry, but it sounds like you should have been in expert - easily - last year with these kinds of numbers. And what is the power mesuring device - the Kurt doesn't appear to have one built in. SRM or Powertap?

And if you're in Minnesota, I would strongly suggest trying Comp before Expert if you're coming from sport. 'Cause our "Expert" class has at least half the field consisting of Pros and Semi Pros.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
dejorn said:
avg power: 360 watts
Are you shitt1n me? At that wattage to weight ratio - over an hour, at that HR - you're ready to turn domestic pro!

Do tell how you're measuring watts - if those are real, off-season numbers - then seriously, get out of dodge and seek professional affiliation!

360 Watts / 62Kg = 5.8

A 5.8 power to weight ratio, when "not even trying that hard" is amazing. Do the same workout again - but stay at threshold and tell us what ya get! Hit the magic ratio of "7" and go get 'em on the Pro Tour buddy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for the error

I have edited the post above to avoid getting too many calls from prospective sponsors. Just kidding.

My power output for the 1 hour duration was 260 watts not 360.

To measure power I couple a polar S720i HRM to measure speed and use an established power curve to derive power. I know some might be skeptical of the numbers, however, I have found them to be very reliable based on comparisons to my ave speed for various road rides. My aveage speeds on road rides (hardtail MTB with worn out conti twisters @ 50 psi) are typically 1-2 mph faster than a comparable effort on the trainer. There was also a recent review that compared the power curve of the Kurt Kinetic to the power output measure by SRM.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4569

Therefore,

260 Watts / 62 Kg = 4.2 which is in the range of normal

As my training progresses and I start working more intervals into my diet I feel 300 watts sustained for 30 min will be possible.

Sorry, for any confusion. I will update my information as the intesity increases.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I did the test; damn that hurt!!!

date: 01/26/2007
sex: __M___
weight: _166 or 75.3 kg___ lbs; 5'10" BTW.
brief race history/goals: Good sport class racer, 5 podiums this past year; moving to Expert next season. Consistent top 15 Cat 4 last season, have enough points for Cat 3, but scared to move up. Wanna race 35+ road, but those guys are even faster!!

distance: ???
trainer: _Krietler roller, dyno-lyte model.
gear: 53 and the towards the 12-15ings.
time: 8 minutes
avg speed: (32.5mph)
avg power: 309.5 watts = 4.11 Watts/kg
avg rpm: __80-90ish

Not bad. Will get a lot better in the next few months. Been doing nothing but Zone 2-3 stuff and skate skiing. At least my weight is really good, about 8 pounds lighter than this time last year.

Had over 320 at the 4 minute mark, then I was just trying to save whatever I could!!!

My power endurance is worth crap at the moment.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Update

OK, on my birthday, of all days - this past Friday, I come home from work and find that my bling Scott CR1 has been ripped off. Lock cut, thief had to jump over a wall to get to the porch where that bike, and my Yeti ASR-SL were locked up... So much for the 5K TT and a nice weekend ride with the fellas!

That said, looks like with the insurance claim cash, I'll likely get a cheaper (low end Tarmac, or mid-level Allez Spez) bike, BUT already have (1) pimpin race wheelset (Spankin new unused Easton Ascent II's) and will get a PowerTap Pro rear wheel, and then, well - I'll have no where to hide power-wise!

Hopefully by the end of next week - but maybe a bit longer.

When I do get the bike all set up, I'll do the TT test here, and be curious about the (a) time, and (b) actual, real Wattage! I'll also be curious to measure the effects watts-wise, of the different resistance settings on the rollers, as the system actually indexes between lowest and highest over perhaps 6 settings.

·
XCdude
1,324 Posts
Ok another sucka with numbers here

date: 08/24/63
weight: 171lbs, need take another 10lbs off, stop with the sweets:madman:
brief race history/goals: _Started as a beginner a few years back got up to sport, stopped for a year, going back to sport 40, trying to get back to the box this year , to finish the 8 race series top five.

distance: Intervals for about 10 minutes
trainer: 1UP
gear: 44/12 mountain bike, road tire
time: 10 minutes doing 30 second intervals at max
avg speed: 48km/h (29.83mph)
avg power: 519 watts
avg rpm: 100ish
avg HR: 178
max HR: 185(max for this workout = 185, 96% of absolute max
All this information is from last year, I`ll start with intervals in about two weeks been a little sick. The power is calculated using the 1up chart, the workout is using dr billats protocol I use the hrm to get some more information.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nothing special here

First time I've done this and I see I've got some work to do.

weight: _153_ lbs
brief race history/goals: mid pack Comp in Wors

trainer: Kurt road machine Mtb with slick 1.5
gear: yes
time: 6 min
avg speed: (_19.5mph)
avg power: aprox 245 watts According to chart
avg rpm: _90_ish
avg HR: a lot 182 ish
Just got the Road machine and love it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Milkman said:
First time I've done this and I see I've got some work to do.

weight: _153_ lbs
brief race history/goals: mid pack Comp in Wors

trainer: Kurt road machine Mtb with slick 1.5
gear: yes
time: 6 min
avg speed: (_19.5mph)
avg power: aprox 245 watts According to chart
avg rpm: _90_ish
avg HR: a lot 182 ish
Just got the Road machine and love it :thumbsup:
.....but you're light. 3.52 Watt/kg, that's a lower Cat 4 for a five minute test. Not bad for February, especially with the winters you have up there!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.