Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into a Sram DH 7 speed cassette. It comes in 2 Sram configurations $250 XD driver or $30 Shimano. It will be used on a bike that see's heavy pedalling. The Shimano version is individual thin cogs. I would think all those individual cogs would just chew a freehub like no tomorrow. My last entry level Shimano cassette @ least had the lower gears pinned together. Thoughts?

Link to pic of cassette : https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-GX-DH...ssette-Compatible-with-X01-GX-DH/222281528558

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I would think all those individual cogs would just chew a freehub like no tomorrow.
There may be a tomorrow. I understand that it's already tomorrow in Australia and it's fine.

To me, the stupid thing is not individual cassette gears but alloy free-hub bodies. How come Hope could make them out of titanium back when phones had wires but no one can today? What happened to steel? OK, it's a little heavier but...it actually works.

Seems manufacturers have settled on the worst material possible for these things, short of cottage cheese that is.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There may be a tomorrow. I understand that it's already tomorrow in Australia and it's fine.

To me, the stupid thing is not individual cassette gears but alloy free-hub bodies. How come Hope could make them out of titanium back when phones had wires but no one can today? What happened to steel? OK, it's a little heavier but...it actually works.

Seems manufacturers have settled on the worst material possible for these things, short of cottage cheese that is.
Cheese splined freehubs are one of the main reasons I went to XD. Usually i'd Just buy XD but the price of the ind. cog set is so appealing.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Your concern about single cogs carving into the freehub is warranted.
Check out some better cassettes that put the large cogs on a carrier. They mostly do it for weight saving, but it also spreads the load over 3 or 4 cogs wide. The large cogs get the most tourque, so they carve the most.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.