Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just the winter blahs, but I'm feeling a bit off starting a new project. I have a few bare frames waiting for attention, and while I always like to have something "in progress" to keep me sane, I'm feeling like I need a bit of a nudge...

frames and general build thoughts:

(in no particular order)

Pro Flex 757: single-speed full sus play bike

Ritchey Aspen: possibly my first re-paint canidate

Klein Pinnacle with bad bb: rehabed rider

Cracked Manitou: table lamp ;) or ?

Kona Explosif: fixed gear MTB

'53 Indian Scout: townie

Trek 400: cyclo x? (it's pretty small)

Haro Extreme: e-stay road burner with a HUGE Paragon sprocket

Rocky Mountain Blizzard: another re-habbed rider

Klein Pinnacle (too big for me): convert into a drop bar road bike

Trek 830 (my first "real" MTB, had it since new): DX/XT build I always
wanted BITD, but couldn't afford

:confused:

So what would you build and why, or why not?

Feel free to ridicule, be-little, or be just plain silly, as long as it's entertaining ;)

Steve

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I would also say Blizzard or Kona. A nice rider that can be thrashed in the winter and not mind. A fixed gear snow bike would be awesome, but maybe the RM is more appropriately named :)

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
I was trying to piece together a sentence with the names your bikes, which'd sound funny, and ran out of steam. Something like how's your Scout's Aspen since it's Explosif Manitou cracked? Must be your malaise coming through the screen:D

SS with a Proflex? You running a rear der as a tensioner? Chain growth seems inevitable...

Just get out and ride, didn't you guys just get a sh*t ton of snow? Riding in that much fluff always makes me laugh till I cry;)

Get about 10 friends together, and go pack down some trail, bring some nice single malt to stay warm, and don't plan on getting very far. Snow forts and the like are strongly encouraged:thumbsup:

·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everybody...it was just what I needed to get moving.

Tempted to follow Dangerpants lead and weld 'em all on top of one another for a really really tall bike, but was afraid it wouldn't fit in the garage. ;)

Decided anything in need of paint will have to wait for warmer weather, which knocked out a few possibilities, and I was leaning towards the old 830 for purely sentimental reasons, but peer pressure can be tough :p

so this is where I'm headed:

The snow we're currently buried in helped too...looking forward to chugging this little fixie through some white stuff.

Steve

·
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Minor progress today...it's damn cold in the garage and the upcoming holidays have me hopping, but...

rehabbed cranks (32t 94bcd ring on the way):

beat up corroded seat post and clamp hit with a bit of compound on the buffing wheel:

So far I have most of the stuff for the build...just need to get my paws on an Eno hub, bump the temp in the cave, hide away for a few hours, and I should be rolling soon.

Steve

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
mechagouki said:
Here's what I just built to serve through the winter:

Neat bike. I bought the "Pro" version of that bike (one step down from the Pro FZ) brand new in the summer of '93. Great riding bike. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.