Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished building up my new rear wheel for the Vulture (due end of August!). Do I put in on the reBrew and ride it now? or wait till the Vulture is READY and ride it fresh, virgin like, when I build the Vulture up then?
btw, it is the True Precision Stealth Poacher SS hub, Swiss DT double butted spokes, Sun Singletrack rim and 2.3" Gazzaloddi DH tire. This hub has instant engagement, has to be felt to be believed (have only spun the hub by hand, don't know how it rides yet, THAT is the dilemma!).

Help me out, WHAT should I DO?????

bob

·
Cracker-magnon
1,149 Posts
red-haze.com said:
I just finished building up my new rear wheel for the Vulture (due end of August!). Do I put in on the reBrew and ride it now? or wait till the Vulture is READY and ride it fresh, virgin like, when I build the Vulture up then?
btw, it is the True Precision Stealth Poacher SS hub, Swiss DT double butted spokes, Sun Singletrack rim and 2.3" Gazzaloddi DH tire. This hub has instant engagement, has to be felt to be believed (have only spun the hub by hand, don't know how it rides yet, THAT is the dilemma!).

bob
Oooh new stuff, that is tough. I think you need to really ask yourself, do you want the Vulture to be 100% pristine on it's first ride. If so do you have a close friend that does not ride (that is the key, so that they will not be tempted) ;) that can hang on to it for you??

On the other hand a vulture is not the most pristine creature :D

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
red-haze.com said:

bob
Ride it. You have to be sure it works. One less thing to dial in later.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
red-haze.com said:

bob

Ride it. What are you waiting for? Think of it as third base, before heading home. or that time at band camp...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ride It

I'd mount the wheels on the reBrew first and get them dialed in. If nothing else, it will help you feel the true difference between Wade's frames and Brew's. Btw, I'm sure we'd all love to hear what you think. Besides, you'll probably be swapping wheels back and forth anyways...

cheers,

·
Registered
681 Posts
I say ride it. That way you'll have a good baseline for comparison to your old hub. Plus, heaven forbbid it is a bad hub and breaks, you'll have some time before your vulture arrives. I only mention that because I wanted to keep all my parts pristine when I was building up my intense tracer a few years ago. I had everything laying around for months then I built it all when I got the frame. On my first ride my rear hub exploded. I could shake it and hear clinking noises. Then I had to not ride it until I could replace it :mad: . Now that wasn't a stealth hub but I still always recommend testing everything as soon as possible.

Oh ya, and I've been drooling over those stealth hubs forever. Please tell us what you think once you get some rides on it!

·
Medium?
6,724 Posts
Best of both worlds!

Send it down to me. I'll make sure it rides ok, and is ready for the new Vulture. Heck, I could even post a review. When you get your new frame, I'll send the wheel back up, and it will be the first time that <i>you</i> get to ride it. Whaddya think?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ride it! Nothing beats instant gratification. Otherwise you'll be sitting there spinning the damn thing by hand dreaming about how it COULD feel. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would do this for ME?

I don't know if I could ask you to sacrifice soooo much :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the way you think...

change only one thing at a time to truly appreciate the differences.

hmmm

hmmm

·
Registered
148 Posts
eep, that sounds like a very cool albeit heavy wheel. Is the Poacher as much of an anchor as they say? Also how is the proprietary cog interface working for you? That's one of the issues that drew me away from the True Precision.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not too heavy for me...

I'm used to a pretty heavy wheel. I think this hub is lighter than my usualy hub, which has been the Novatech SS hub (an excellent bombproof hub btw), but I think it spec's out at a bit heavier than the King. The proprietary cog interface is very cool and the machine work on it is very tight. I think it will be better than DX type cogs as it has NO slop in its fit, which is one of the areas that contribute to loose chains. Plus, it doesn't require a chain wrench and cassette tool to take apart, just a little torx. I think I will order some more cogs in case they become hard to come by later.

as for lightness, I am using double butted spokes, thats lighter, right? ;)

I've been testing the Gazzi Core 2.3" tire lately and it has turned out to be just as strong as the DH, for my type of riding (technical trialsy trails) so I may use it instead, it is significantly lighter than the DH. My front tire is the Gazzi 3.0 DH, heavy, I guess, but it sure grips good. If only Nokian made a Gazzi 3.0 Core...

bike oN

bob

a nice cake said:
eep, that sounds like a very cool albeit heavy wheel. Is the Poacher as much of an anchor as they say? Also how is the proprietary cog interface working for you? That's one of the issues that drew me away from the True Precision.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No wonder the wheel doesn't seem heavy, hope you're riding rigid with that much rubber up front! I used to run a 2.6 Gazzi a few years back, then swapped it out because it was rubbing the heck out of my fork when out of true. Tried a 2.25 instead and found zero traction difference with HEFTY weight savings.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
a nice cake said:
No wonder the wheel doesn't seem heavy, hope you're riding rigid with that much rubber up front! I used to run a 2.6 Gazzi a few years back, then swapped it out because it was rubbing the heck out of my fork when out of true. Tried a 2.25 instead and found zero traction difference with HEFTY weight savings.
Yup, Bob runs a rigid fork. I can say there is a big difference in traction and cush between the 2.6 and 3.0 Gazzi. The 2.6 is great, the 3.0 is awesome. I do not notice the weight difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you truly wanted it be be pristine when the Vulture arrives you wouldn't have asked this bunch of Hyenas :)

Ride it, and dream of fledgling vultures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts