Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another great destination for mountain biking in Peru: Huaraz. It's a well recognized place for mountain climbing and ice climbing because Huaraz has the highest tropical glaciers on earth. The Huascaran Summit measures 6,768 masl (22,205 ft.) and it's the highest mountain in Peru. There are more than 20 mountains above 6,000 meters near Huaraz and that makes mountain biking very special. Some trails are near the snow (above 4,500 masl) and you can feel like you are making ice climbing with your bike.

We have to thank ancient cultures near Huaraz with more than 2,500 years old that left us hundreds of kilometers of singletracks full of rock steps and fast sections that crosses the mountains near Huaraz. And at the end of the day, you can relax on natural hot springs that will relief any pain in your body.

Now, enjoy these pictures:

Check the exposure on both sides of the trail! This is only for expert riders.

Descending from the snow near 5,000 masl down to the Santa Valley at 2,500 masl.

Nice landscapes around Huaraz.

Huascaran Summit where we pass with our bikes very close to the snow.

Snow on the trail and it's not the snowy season.

Singletracks!

Technical!

History!

Exploring!

Landscapes!

Sketchy trails!

Living culture!

Good trails!

Little of climbing!

Fast trails!

Lots of singletracks!

·
Interlectchewal
1,170 Posts
Nice Endorsement

From Cam McRae's interview of Pro Freerider Matt Hunter in the June 2007 issue of Mountain Biking UK:

What advice would you give to someone heading to South America to ride a mountain bike?

If you go to Peru there's only one guy to call, Wayo, who owns www.inkasadventures.com. He knows all the good trails and is fast as hell. Without him, we wouldn't have had the trip we did. He showed us some really remote downhill sections of the Inca Trail we would have never found.​

·
Caveman
1,003 Posts
Nice shots, thanks for the afternoon SA dose,
I recgonize a few of those trail from when I was there, that one xc ride is that loop you can do just out of Huaraz itself up one valley, crossing a few streams and down the other side...

Then that shot of the road switchbacks... I came down that in a collectivo in the rain... holy crap is right.
cheers

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rideit said:
Awesome photos, Wayo...who is that with the Nomad?
He looks familiar...
Hi, it's me and my baby. When are you comming again to Peru? Remember to call me to show you some incredible trails here. Try to bring expert riders to show you some really challenging trails.
Bye Bye!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bearbait said:
Nice shots, thanks for the afternoon SA dose,
I recgonize a few of those trail from when I was there, that one xc ride is that loop you can do just out of Huaraz itself up one valley, crossing a few streams and down the other side...

Then that shot of the road switchbacks... I came down that in a collectivo in the rain... holy crap is right.
cheers
That trail on the road switchbacks is cool, descends to LLanganuco and then to Yungay. There's a singletrack that descends all this mountain that is awesome, very technical. It was my dream come true!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.