Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

UPDATE: great support from Ibis, see below.

My third ride on my new brown sl. Had just carried the bike over a water crossing, hopped back on and started to pedal......CRACK!!!!!!

have not pulled post or investigated, since my dealer set everything up. large frame, I'm 6'1", 215

I'll take it in tomorrow and also contact ibis....

pretty bummed... long wait... riding is incredible now...

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens...

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Wow....bummer dude. I've never seen a break there....but it seems to be the stress from the seatpost flexing.

I've read responses for warranty issues from Ibis and it seems they get them solved pretty quickly. They must give priority with warranty issues and for sure, this is such a case. You might be up and running quicker than you think.

Just took the Mojo for a spin today and it's always friggin awesome. I wasn't really feeling it before the ride...kinda unmotivated after a long day's work but once I hopped onto the bike, my mood instantly changed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sorry to see that. Beautiful bike. Ibis CS is tops they will have you back on the bike before you know it. Give them a call and check status supply of main triangle of Brown Moj in Large > That would be the only hold up cause they are really great at what they do.
It looks to me like the failure is from excessive cable rub.;)

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
Looks to me like the seatpost was likely not nserted past the bottom of the toptube as it should be. I just can't imagine any other way that much force could be applied there. Is it a short or cut seatpost?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Sorry to hear about what looks like rare manufacturing defect failure. Ibis has the best customer service possible. You'll be riding again soon. I hope you still have a good bike to ride for a few more days.

You'll soon be riding the stand-out best trail bike in the world.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Could have just been a weak spot and/or the seatpost was not inserted far enough. To be safe, I use 400mm seatposts and I don't like carbon posts. I find carbon and Ti posts too flexy and stick with Aluminum Thomson posts.

I'm sure Ibis will get you on the trail asap. Keep us posted if possible. I have seen cracks in the general area on Alu bikes as well but since the SL is pretty new and made of a new carbon type, there may be some more issues with it. I don't like the idea of such a light frame (regardless of extra-stiffness claim) so went with the regular Mojo since I don't truly race.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have to say so far the customer service is the best I have experienced for any product I owned.

By evening I had a PM from Hans and a new front triangle could ship today. When I called Ibis, they knew all about it.

I was pretty worried that it could be quite a wait for that, but even as hot as the SL is, it seems they have replacement frame parts in stock.

I will try to get some pics of the post today.

best to all,

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
uhoh7 said:

My third ride on my new brown sl. Had just carried the bike over a water crossing, hopped back on and started to pedal......CRACK!!!!!!

have not pulled post or investigated, since my dealer set everything up. large frame, I'm 6'1", 215

I'll take it in tomorrow and also contact ibis....

pretty bummed... long wait... riding is incredible now...

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens...
Guys like us (over 200 lbs) should never ride things that have superlight in their name. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
890 Posts
How Ibis deals with these issues will, in large part, define the level of their success in the future. Once more manufacturers start using the DWL or SP, Ibis's level of customer service will determine loyalty and bring in new customers. Kudos to them for responding so quickly.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
Another thing, there's a Chuck Spew interview where he states that they have the frames laid up in China not because of cost, but because the company is the best there is.

I'm in total agreement with Ibis's success. This customer service is just outrageous. And it reflects their love of the work they do.

This failure kind of looks like flaw in manufacturing, but who knows... That's kind of doubtful. It's fun having a mysterious new technology. Which it isn't. But is.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here are a few more pics. The sleeve is tight. You can see how far the post was inserted.

Customer Service from both Ibis and my shop, Elephants Perch, in Ketchum, Idaho has been incredible. Front triangle on the way. Meantime I have a demo to ride.

Now I know I REALLY have to loose weight, hehe.

thanks for all supportive replies.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.