Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being displeased with the feel up my airsprung marzocchi mx comp, today i upgraded to fox vanilla 100R. Much much happier with the feel and performance. I ride a '04 kona kikapu deluxe with 3.5" of rear travel.

Right now, the fork is factory set to 100mm travel in the front. Quite easily, the spacers in the fork can be rearranged to allow 125mm travel.

Would this be a bit to much for the geometry of my bike? If so, in what negative ways would this be reflected in the ride?

thanks for any tips
Evan

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
minimum, your ride height/bar height will obviously be 1" taller. if you have spacers under your stem, you could remove some of them to compensate. or not; maybe ride it at that height and see what you think.

it will slacken your head angle out a little. noticable? depends. you may notice it a lot, or a little. it'll slow the steering a bit, but this may or may not be a bad thing, depending on how and what you ride.

i'd say to give it a try. see how it feels. if you like it, keep it. if you don't, then swap it back. you've certainly got nothing to lose by trying, other than the time taken to do the work on the fork.

i actually much prefer the higher/slacker front end of my hardtail, now that i'm used to it. took a few rides, but now anything slacker and lower feels wierd.

·
Ride on
642 Posts
slacker angles shift weight back

The slacker head and seat tube angles will shift your weight back a bit. This makes it a little more difficult to climb, and easier to descend. You can move your saddle forward to compensate; this will also restore the relationship between your saddle and pedals. It will also shorten your cockpit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.