Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does increased dampening mean or do to a front fork?
Sounds like a silly question, but,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have asked , What does rebound dampening do?
It seems like it's a repetitive description "REBOUND / DAMPENING"
 

·
holding back the darkness
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
thecanoe said:
I should have asked , What does rebound dampening do?
It seems like it's a repetitive description "REBOUND / DAMPENING"
To reiterate: A water bottle is a dampener.

Rebound damping controls the rate of shock extension.
Compression damping controls the rate of shock compression.

The rebound damping on your shock helps control how your bike reacts to bumps, and helps tune out harmonic oscillations like pedal bob and pogo-stick effect. With no rebound control the spring would tend to oscillate and bounce you around, especially after a large hit. Too much rebound control and your suspension won't extend fast enough to deal with subsequent impacts effectively and "pack up". Trick is in finding a balance.
There's more to it, such as how your given suspension design levers against a shock, and the level and type of damping a various points in the suspension and shock travel. There's quite a bit to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
subliminalshiver said:
To reiterate: A water bottle is a dampener.

Rebound damping controls the rate of shock extension.
Compression damping controls the rate of shock compression.

The rebound damping on your shock helps control how your bike reacts to bumps, and helps tune out harmonic oscillations like pedal bob and pogo-stick effect. With no rebound control the spring would tend to oscillate and bounce you around, especially after a large hit. Too much rebound control and your suspension won't extend fast enough to deal with subsequent impacts effectively and "pack up". Trick is in finding a balance.
There's more to it, such as how your given suspension design levers against a shock, and the level and type of damping a various points in the suspension and shock travel. There's quite a bit to it.
Try again

Definition of DAMPEN

transitive verb

1: to check or diminish the activity or vigor of : deaden <the heat dampened our spirits>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dampening

and damping will also work

Definition of DAMPING CAPACITY
: the ability of a material to absorb vibrations <lead has high damping capacity> <a tuning fork has low damping capacity>

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/damping
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Good God! How many times do we have to go over the definition of Dampening and Damping?
Both are correct and the language Nazi's need to chill out and get the facts straight!
 

·
holding back the darkness
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
:rolleyes:
Next thing you'll tell us that regardless and irregardless are basically the same.
Merriam webster gives us a definition there too so that means it's a word, right?
And maybe we can have a discussion about clip-in pedals vs. clipless pedals.
Or getting oriented to suspension vocabulary vs. orientated.

Words matter. Why not be more correct when we can? Our sport can be a technical one and standardization of vocabulary contributes to accuracy. Accuracy leads to better results, and better answers to questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
subliminalshiver said:
:rolleyes:
Next thing you'll tell us that regardless and irregardless are basically the same.
Merriam webster gives us a definition there too so that means it's a word, right?
And maybe we can have a discussion about clip-in pedals vs. clipless pedals.
Or getting oriented to suspension vocabulary vs. orientated.

Words matter. Why not be more correct when we can? Our sport can be a technical one and standardization of vocabulary contributes to accuracy. Accuracy leads to better results, and better answers to questions.
Agreed. I don't like to get emotional over terms, but dictionaries often add "incorrect" definitions simply because enough people use them. They're trying to stay current with the evolution of language and vocabulary, but that can make it hard for us "technically correct" types to use them to make any points
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
ChainChain said:
Both are correct and the language Nazi's need to chill out and get the facts straight!
No. "Damping" is the correct technical term when used with suspension. Just because people use "dampening" doesn't make it correct.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,930 Posts
ChainChain said:
Language is and has always been a democracy. It evolves and changes all the time.
For me it comes down to how much you want to have conversations about suspension deteriorate into piss-fests over terminology brought on by suspension terminology Nazis getting there panties in a wad over people using the term "dampening". While both terms are correct (look at the meaning of "dampen") it is simply not worth arguing about with these people. Besides, "damping" is shorter to type.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top