Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a Tora 318 006 RS coil fork on one bike at i think 100mm and i've read a couple threads that indicate it is possible to increase the travel to say 120, i'm just wondering what exactly that will entail.

I've taken apart an older Marz Atom 80 coil and did an oil change and that seemed fairly painless, how much more difficult is a travel change on something like the Tora?

Also, what parts will need swapping out, will i basically be putting in a shorter spacer and longer spring? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The Tora models are....

318, 302, and 289. To my knowledge there is no 308 model, at least not aftermarket, and I haven't seen a 308 OEM model designation before. So knowing the correct model would help.

The Tora 289 and 302 are available with U-turn that adjusts from 85 to 130mm or in 80 or 100mm versions (neither of which are adjustable, no all travel spacers). The 318 is a avialable with U-turn 85 to 130mm, or with the all travel system and adjustable internally to 80, 100, or 130mm through the addition or removal of spacers.

So what model you have will determine what you need to increase the travel and if it is even possible. If you have the 302 or 289 you would most likely need a U-turn system installed in the fork IF it is possible. To my knowledge there wouldn't be a problem with it. BUT!, you'll need to call SRAM to make sure that it is possible! You never know, there may be some limiting factor internally that won't allow installation of the U-turn in a Tora 302 or 289 that didn't come with it. So SRAM are the guys to ask for the deffinate answer on that question. So figure out which model you have (obviously it ain't a U-turn model or you wouldn't have the question). If it's a 318 it's pretty simple, download the service manual and learn how to move the spacers for the travel you want. If it's a 302 or 289 fixed trave version it will probably be a little more involved and expensive than that.

Good Dirt

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Squash said:
318, 302, and 289. To my knowledge there is no 308 model, at least not aftermarket, and I haven't seen a 308 OEM model designation before. So knowing the correct model would help.
It says 318 all over this thread.. seems to me..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea it's a 318 coil, OEM i am guessing since it is fixed travel without uturn. i'm just wondering what needs to be done inside, will i need parts or can i just remove a spacer? i downloaded the manuals last week and can see all the parts but it's not exactly clear as day what needs to be done and what parts are needed. many times the reps you speak to over the phone don't know the details only how to order something, so i was hoping someone here had actually done the work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.