Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone increase the travel on their 5010v3 Fox 34 Rhythm fork to 140mm. I have done this with other forks on other bikes, and was just curious how the 5010 would respond to it. Its easy enough to do. I was aiming for a tad more front travel, and a tad more slack head angle for step, black diamond trails. I will also be ditching the stock wtb 35 wheels and 2.6 tires for flow 30mm mk3's and 2.5 wt's. Hopefully this will not drop the bike noticeably lower. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Rocky Mountain, GT LaBomba DJ
356 Posts
There have been some people do this and posted about it in the 5010 V3 Build and Review thread. Santa Cruz states that it can run up to a 150mm fork so you should be good. I'm looking at doing it as well to get the BB up a little.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't think he's asking how far up in travel he can go, but rather if he can increase the travel of his 130mm Rhythm 34.

I could've sworn I read it's not possible somewhere, but if someone knows definitively that would be great.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, finding the kit for the rhythm 34 is not as easy as some other forks, but I found the Fox part numbers somewhere and can order direct from them. It's not readily apparent on their website, so you would assume they don't make a kit for it.I just wanted 10mm more travel in the front and a tad more slack head angle. I enjoy the black diamond trails at Snowshoe, and the 5010 took them like a champ, but it could use some help, as it was not meant for this. I just don't want to stray too much away from it's normal ride traits. FYI , if anyone has any doubts as to the strength of Santa Cruz low end build carbon...rest assured it is dam good. 4 days of Snowshoe black diamonds, and two Pro DH course runs , several huge crashes, and only some minor cosmetic hair line scratches from the bike getting smashed into trees and boulders. Pretty impressive for a trail bike.

·
Registered
5010 V3 CS RSV + Bronson V3 CS + Hightower V2 CC X01 RSV
19 Posts
I’ve been thinking about upping my performance 34 to 140 also. (5010 V3 CS)

My goal is to have something a little better for soaking up small bumps and low-medium speed chatter, but still be able to handle bigger, faster hits. I was thinking a 140 air shaft and a little lower pressure would do that. Fewer pedal strikes would be a bonus.

I haven’t changed because I REALLY love the way my bile handles fast, tight, curvy single track. I’m worried I might take that away by adding .5° of slack.

Ultimately the are shafts aren’t that expensive so I may just have to experiment with it.

Anyhow, if you do make the change, I’d be interested in hearing how your climbing is affected and how the handling changes on something other than rowdy downhill shoots.

·
Registered
21 Rocky Mountain, GT LaBomba DJ
356 Posts
I don't think he's asking how far up in travel he can go, but rather if he can increase the travel of his 130mm Rhythm 34.
Completely missed the Rhythm part and just picked up on the Fox 34.

How do you like the MRP, do you change it immediately?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I like it, though it's pricey for what it is. It allows you to change the settings on the fly instead of having to remove the cap and add/remove spacers. I usually ride the trails with the equivalent of 1 spacer (4 turns open) and when I'm hitting our jumps I will set it to ~1.5 spacers. On our drops, which range from 4' to 10'+, I set it to ~2 spacers.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I've been thinking about upping my performance 34 to 140 also. (5010 V3 CS)

My goal is to have something a little better for soaking up small bumps and low-medium speed chatter, but still be able to handle bigger, faster hits. I was thinking a 140 air shaft and a little lower pressure would do that. Fewer pedal strikes would be a bonus.

I haven't changed because I REALLY love the way my bile handles fast, tight, curvy single track. I'm worried I might take that away by adding .5° of slack.

Ultimately the are shafts aren't that expensive so I may just have to experiment with it.

Anyhow, if you do make the change, I'd be interested in hearing how your climbing is affected and how the handling changes on something other than rowdy downhill shoots.
I've been running mine with a [email protected] and it rides great. No problems at all climbing and it's a killer descending. It rides like a mini-Nomadv3. I do run the fork with less pressure than normal, so there is a good amount of sag, which helps keep the geometry in line. I am running the chip in the low position and the bottom bracket is probably a little higher than the stock 130 in high position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.