Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a strange problem with my month-old Redline Monocog.

I was lubing the chain, checking tension, doing all that sort of thing in the garage last night and I noticed something strange that I can't pinpoint or fix.

My chain tension is really inconsistent, meaning that at certain crank arm positions it's tighter than when the cranks are turned another 1/4 rotation. :confused:

I tried to make all the small adjustments, checked the hub/wheel to make sure it was properly aligned with the frame, etc. and couldn't fix it.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking that either the cranks/BB are not installed correctly, or that the chain ring is lopsided, but that really doesn't seem likely.

:confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
chainring

Beckman4 said:
I'm thinking that either the cranks/BB are not installed correctly, or that the chain ring is lopsided, but that really doesn't seem likely.

You got it. I'll bet your chainring is not completely round. Search around on Sheldon's site and he gives tips on how to adjust your chainring on your crank/spider to compensate for this.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Beckman4 said:

I was lubing the chain, checking tension, doing all that sort of thing in the garage last night and I noticed something strange that I can't pinpoint or fix.

My chain tension is really inconsistent, meaning that at certain crank arm positions it's tighter than when the cranks are turned another 1/4 rotation. :confused:

I tried to make all the small adjustments, checked the hub/wheel to make sure it was properly aligned with the frame, etc. and couldn't fix it.

Any ideas?

I bet the chainring is slightly out-of-round.

·
Registered
54 Posts
no problem really

It's your chainring. I often have the same problem as doo most of us. When the chainring is tightened there is a slight off-center of the ring on the spider which causes the chain to tighten then loosen as the cranks are turned. It really isn't a big deal and quit impossible to get centered. You can try if you want, but the worst thing to happen is you might have to change the ring once a year instead of every two years...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

For the responses!

Seemed really weird to me, but now that I know it's fairly common and not a problem, I feel much better!

Thanks guys

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Happens to the best of us!

Most spiders allow for a bit of "play" to adjust the chainring position (again, see Sheldon's site for the details), and most chainrings aren't perfectly round. A slightly bent BB spindle can also cause this to happen: I have the same crank and ring on my new Vulture that I had on my KM (whose BB was several years old and in its third frame), and chain tension is definitely more consistent on the Vulture.

If you run SS-specific rings and cogs with tall, non-ramped teeth, and especially if you use an 8-speed chain, you'll be amazed how much slack you can get away with and not drop the chain.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Beckman4 said:

Any ideas?

Reposition the chainring on the spider, take it off and rotate it 90 degrees if 4 bolt, 72 degrees if 5 bolt. You might do better.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Also consider that your chainwheel may be perfectly round, but the holes on your spider may be slightly off-centre

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.