Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my income tax and got just over $4K to spend on a sweet freeride setup. Problem is I'm kinda stumped. My LBS got a Demo 8 pro and a 05 Gemini Team DH in stock and I'm looking to make this purchase by Saturday. The Gemini comes with a 180mm Manitou Dorado. Can anyone give me their ideas on any of these models and which one is probably better suited for freeriding. Also what the hell is the difference on FSR and a Single Pivot design such as the Gemini? Will post pics of my final decision by Sunday.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Vp free-

tiendee said:
I just received my income tax and got just over $4K to spend on a sweet freeride setup. Problem is I'm kinda stumped. My LBS got a Demo 8 pro and a 05 Gemini Team DH in stock and I'm looking to make this purchase by Saturday. The Gemini comes with a 180mm Manitou Dorado. Can anyone give me their ideas on any of these models and which one is probably better suited for freeriding. Also what the hell is the difference on FSR and a Single Pivot design such as the Gemini? Will post pics of my final decision by Sunday.
It depends on what your using it for, but if you have to pedal the bike at all, I would get a vp free instead of the Demo 8 - which is more like an extreme freeride downhill bike with tons of sag ...Haven't ridden a Gemini but I know they're great bikes, lighter and more all purpose. The single pivot design isn't as sophisticated ast the vp free though, and it won't pedal/accelerate as well...If you want to stay specialized - the big hit is an excellent freeride bike, and it's less expensive than the demo 9. I know people who ride them and they have nothing but praise...good luck with your choice - and I wouldn't rush it - 4k is alot to spend on a bike. try to ride a few before buying-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Suggestions:

1. Adjust your tax witholdings so that you get NO income tax back (and owe none) at the end of the year. You loaned the government $4000 for 0.00% interest last year. A VERY bad investment of your money.

2. Find a $2000 bike you like. Someone who doesn't know that it's a bad idea to invest $4000 at a guaranteed 0.00% interest rate probably can't afford a $4000 bike.

I'm not being sarcastic. Number 1 above is most certainly true. And I'd be willing to bet that number 2 is true as well.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Mighty Kreskin?

bigmac_au85 said:
Suggestions:

1. Adjust your tax witholdings so that you get NO income tax back (and owe none) at the end of the year. You loaned the government $4000 for 0.00% interest last year. A VERY bad investment of your money.

2. Find a $2000 bike you like. Someone who doesn't know that it's a bad idea to invest $4000 at a guaranteed 0.00% interest rate probably can't afford a $4000 bike.

I'm not being sarcastic. Number 1 above is most certainly true. And I'd be willing to bet that number 2 is true as well.
Is that you? Wow, you must be good to know who this guy is and what his finances look like just from one post. :rolleyes:
Why people like you think you're entitled to tell complete strangers how to run their life and finances is beyond me. He asked a simple bike question. I'm sure there's a forum for how to manage your finances, but What Bike to Buy definitely isn't it. And if he wanted financial advise, he probably would've asked it there.

tiendee: Need to know more about what you plan to use the bike for before anyone's going to know which bike will work better for you. Plan to pedal uphill? Is downhill pedalling performance important to you? Is it just for hucking, or are you planning to race as well? Also try posting on the dh/ fr forum if you don't get what you're looking for here. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
lucky bastard! I owed $5k. no new bikes for me

tiendee said:

·
Registered
26 Posts
dbabuser said:
Is that you? Wow, you must be good to know who this guy is and what his finances look like just from one post. :rolleyes:
Why people like you think you're entitled to tell complete strangers how to run their life and finances is beyond me. He asked a simple bike question. I'm sure there's a forum for how to manage your finances, but What Bike to Buy definitely isn't it. And if he wanted financial advise, he probably would've asked it there.
Shut the hell up. He didn't just ask a "simple bike question". He brought finances into it by stating that he got $4K back on his taxes. Which is the equivalent of burying money in the ground. Investing at a guaranteed 0.00% interest rate. Which is actually losing money, since he could have gotten a guaranteed positive return elsewhere.

And then he states he's thinking about spending it all on a bicycle? Are you kidding me? There's a pattern here...and it's not a good one.

Again, shut the hell up. This guy obviously needs more than just bike advice.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
Congratulations

bigmac_au85 said:
Shut the hell up. He didn't just ask a "simple bike question". He brought finances into it by stating that he got $4K back on his taxes. Which is the equivalent of burying money in the ground. Investing at a guaranteed 0.00% interest rate. Which is actually losing money, since he could have gotten a guaranteed positive return elsewhere.

And then he states he's thinking about spending it all on a bicycle? Are you kidding me? There's a pattern here...and it's not a good one.

You must be the richest person in the world. Unfortunately, you appear to have something lodged somewhere uncomfortable, which you really should see a doctor about (so long as we're all giving unsolicited advice ;) ).
Again, nobody asked. If you can't get out for a nice long ride, take your hostility and bury it in a hole, b/c it seems it's earning all kinds of interest where you've stored it currently.
:p

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Greenspan, go roll your pennies

1st- you are a d!ck
2nd - do the math

The guy that asked for bike advice, (not financial advice) overpaid his taxes by $333 per month. If you invest that $333 per month in a 1 year CD which are around 3.4%, he would net a whopping $71 in short term capital gains, which would then be taxed. I guarantee you if he got the $333 per month in his checks, he sure as sh!t would not have that $4k by the end of the year. Contrary to your infinite wisdom, a lot of people see over withholding their taxes as a way of saving. None of the above takes into account whether or not he maxed out his 401K and IRA contributions. Lastly, the $4k he worked hard to save all year will buy him a pretty sick sled. How can you find fault with that. If he was financially inept, he would have put the new bike on a credit card (and paid interest) instead of waiting for his tax return.

bigmac_au85 said:

·
Registered
44 Posts
bigdrunk said:
1st- you are a d!ck
2nd - do the math

The guy that asked for bike advice, (not financial advice) overpaid his taxes by $333 per month. If you invest that $333 per month in a 1 year CD which are around 3.4%, he would net a whopping $71 in short term capital gains, which would then be taxed. I guarantee you if he got the $333 per month in his checks, he sure as sh!t would not have that $4k by the end of the year. Contrary to your infinite wisdom, a lot of people see over withholding their taxes as a way of saving. None of the above takes into account whether or not he maxed out his 401K and IRA contributions. Lastly, the $4k he worked hard to save all year will buy him a pretty sick sled. How can you find fault with that. If he was financially inept, he would have put the new bike on a credit card (and paid interest) instead of waiting for his tax return.
took the words out of my mouth

bigmac your a big fat dick whose probably just pissed cause you owed taxes

maybe if you had a brain and thought a bit ud get somewhere leave the guy alone

i dont know if u realize this but this is mtbr.com a biking forum

oh yeah and by the way go ahead and call me stupid but i got 4k back too and im using part of that to by a sweet bike too

·
SS Rider
207 Posts
bigmac_au85 said:
Suggestions:

I am getting 4500 back this year and probably make a good deal more then you and would be willing to bet I invest more as well. I have no credit card debt and my 03 truck I own is paid off. Hmm guess your assumptions are not always correct. To add misery to your assumption I am a single female and I am only 28, go figure. I too was thinking about getting a new bike. Also I would rather pay in too much tax during the year then have to worry about paying at the end of the year. Some people have better things to do with there time then preplan the tax withholdings since there are other factors like house payments and business expenses to take into account. Besides that is why I have a CPA take care of my stuff because I value my free time.

As far as the bike goes since that was what the post was suppose to be for did you get a bike? If so, which did you go with?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't say I got 4K back, read again.

I said my income tax just came back and I have over 4k to spend on a sweet freeride rig, I didn't say the check was 4k. I sold my Norco and along with some savings and income tax money I could spare over 4k. That doesn't mean I'm blowing all my savings, and if I was knee deep in debt I wouldn't be blowing 4k on a bike. There are some investments in life that are worth more than they appear. Next time I'll keep it more simple and just ask for advice on a bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.