Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another one of those which bike questions ---- Anyway I just received my income tax and got just over $4K to spend on a sweet freeride setup. Problem is I'm kinda stumped. My LBS got a Demo 8 pro and a 05 Gemini Team DH in stock and I'm looking to make this purchase by Saturday. The Gemini comes with a 180mm Manitou Dorado. Can anyone give me their ideas on any of these models and which one is probably better suited for freeriding. Also what the hell is the difference on FSR and a Single Pivot design such as the Gemini? Will post pics of my final decision by Sunday.

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
3 years ago I was faced with the same decision. I had 5k to spend. I ended up paying $1800.00 on a used bike. You might wonder the reason why I did this. First off to save money and second thing. I was able to develop my skills, while all the while thrashing my bike. No need to buy a new bike to learn on. Save your money ride different bikes and then get the bike you truely want. You asking a question here means you really don't know what to buy. Don't pak 4k and get stuck with something you really don't like. Ride used for a year and make your decision on the new bike after that. This really helped me on my choices.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Between those 2................neither.

You could spec a just as good or better build for cheaper on a different frameset.

I don't like used stuff myself, but SMT does have a point.

If it HAS to be between those those 2......then Demo8.........FSR suspension and DH40.

Crackn'Fail and Dorado....bleh....phooey!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually rode a Cannondale Jekyll in 03 then went up to a Norco for the 04 season and had a hella time on that bike but eventually found it just a bit too heavy (Monster T stock) so it weighed probably just over 50lbs. So I'm looking for something a bit more nimble this season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.