Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am considering building up an Inbred. Has anyone built one up using a Motobecane Fantom 29er as a donor bike for parts? If so, how much reuse is there?

I should add that this is my 1st build and I am a bit nervous about it. I want to make sure all the parts work together.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Considered that myself. They seem to match up parts wise. Which Fantom29? The Pro would give you a pretty sweet build for around $1650 (shipping on the frame?).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considered that myself. They seem to match up parts wise. Which Fantom29? The Pro would give you a pretty sweet build for around $1650 (shipping on the frame?).
I was considering the Fantom 29 PRO as well. My only concern is the head tube length. I guess ordering an XL should leave enough fork steerer for an 19.5 (L) inch Inbred. I am not sure about shipping cost for a frame.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I was considering the Fantom 29 PRO as well. My only concern is the head tube length. I guess ordering an XL should leave enough fork steerer for an 19.5 (L) inch Inbred. I am not sure about shipping cost for a frame.
Frame shipping is $25-35 in the US, depending on your location.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should be fine, the inbred has a pretty short headtube at 105mm. I'm running a 7" steerer Recon with an On One stem and an FSA Orbital headset and still had room for a spacer.

Parts on the Fantom 29 look like they'd swap well. Seat post is 27.2 (clamp probably won't work), bottom bracket is 68x113

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still researching a build for this frame and am putting together a parts list. I hope to compare it to the Motobecane donor bike then make a decision.

I am a little confused about the front derailleur, the On One chart says Front Mech Clamp Size (mm) 29.8, but I cannot seem to find this size anywhere. Also, what is the difference between high and low clamp, which does the Inbred use?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I am still researching a build for this frame and am putting together a parts list. I hope to compare it to the Motobecane donor bike then make a decision.

I am a little confused about the front derailleur, the On One chart says Front Mech Clamp Size (mm) 29.8, but I cannot seem to find this size anywhere. Also, what is the difference between high and low clamp, which does the Inbred use?

Thanks!
Seat tube takes 27.2mm seat post, 28.6mm front mech (derailleur), 29.8mm seat clamp.

You can use either a high clamp or low clamp FD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after a few weeks of research I finally decided to source the parts and build it up. Here is the final result. Other than cutting back the brake hoses it is pretty much complete. I manged to get a few rides in this weekend and love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one! What frame size is it? Do you mind to post a list of parts you used?
Thanks! Here is my build:

It is a 19.5 inch frame, I am just under 6'1" and it fits me great.

Here is the parts list:

Ordered from On One/PlanetX USA:

On One 3d Forged Stem - 6 degrees - 80mm
On-One 6061T6 Forged Alloy Seatclamp Bolt Up - 29.8mm
On-One Bob On Lock-On Grips
On-One Fleegle Pro Handlebar - 31.8mm
On-One Inbred Saddle
On-One Smoothie Light Headset
On-One Spacer Set 20+15+10+5
On-One Twelfty MTB Seatpost - 27.2mm

The drive train, brakes, wheels and shocks were order from Biker Bob:

X7 drivetrain 2x10 (F/R derailleur, cranks, BB, chain, and shifters)
American Classic Terrain 29 - Tubeless ready
2011 Manitou Tower Pro white
Avid Elixir 3 w/160mm rotors
Maxxis Ikon 29

I highly highly highly recommend using Biker Bob if you plan to order parts, he is great to work with and very competitive with his pricing.

I should add that PlanetX installed the headset for me when I ordered the frame. That was a huge help as I didn't have the proper tools for that job.

The front derailleur needed to be shimmed, other than that, everything went together perfectly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm planning to order an Inbred29er frame. I'm also just under 6'1" and it will be an orange 19.5 frame with vertical dropouts. I will use it as geared with 1x9, however I will use an old front derailleur as a chain guide. Unfortunately I only have two front metch with two diameters, 31.8 and 34.9. Should I use some "home-made" shims to be able to mount the 31.8 diameter one to the frame?
Anyway, the whole setup would be a low-cost setup with old and used parts only, except for the fork and wheelset (Reba+Hope/Stans). :)

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,585 Posts
I'm planning to order an Inbred29er frame. I'm also just under 6'10" and it will be an orange 19.5 frame with vertical dropouts.
Uhh… dude… if you're "just under" 6'10" I'd strongly suggest getting a custom-made XXL sized frame. It would be silly to think that you'd be happy riding on such a small frame.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Uhh… dude… if you're "just under" 6'10" I'd strongly suggest getting a custom-made XXL sized frame. It would be silly to think that you'd be happy riding on such a small frame.
Oops, sorry, it was a HUGE typo:), 6'1", I mean:)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'm 6'1" as well and thats exactly the build I've done, spare parts and all. Then slowly upgraded the parts.
Many of the Shimano front derailleurs come with the 28.6 shims, your local LBS should have boxes of them kicking around, they would probably give you a pair.
You should think about the BBG bashwich, it's cheap and been bullet proof for me. Better looking than a front derailleur.
I've got two bikes 1X9 running single speed front chain rings and no other retention, they have been OK as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hi jack the thread but I had a similar question about an inbred build.
I want to take this as the donor bike
airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx]Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
Does anyone have any advise on using the goblin to build up a inbred?
I understand the seatpost would not fit but what about everything else?

Thanks,

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Sorry to hi jack the thread but I had a similar question about an inbred build.
I want to take this as the donor bike
airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx]Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
Does anyone have any advise on using the goblin to build up a inbred?
I understand the seatpost would not fit but what about everything else?

Thanks,
Everything should swap over easily. Just make sure the steerer tube will be long enough. The wheels on the Airborne are gonna be HEAVY and probably won't last long. That would be the single best upgrade you could make down the road. If you have the time and patience you could do a sweeter build w/ $1100 spent on Craigslist and eBay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everything should swap over easily. Just make sure the steerer tube will be long enough. The wheels on the Airborne are gonna be HEAVY and probably won't last long. That would be the single best upgrade you could make down the road. If you have the time and patience you could do a sweeter build w/ $1100 spent on Craigslist and eBay.
I'm currently bikeless, so time and patience I dont have.LOL

The wheels would be the first thing I replace.

I figure it would cost the same or more piceing it together by the time shipping comes into play ordered mulitple deals etc.
just Full x7 and the Reba would cost me around $1100 right?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks a lot guys!
@Slash5: this BBG looks promising, I'm currently searching for the way how could I order it from the US. Well, some really good stuff is somehow not really available in Europe...

My next (big) question is the wheelset. I got used to the tubeless setups and it's no question for me my first 29er should be also equipped with tubeless, however I don't want to spend too much money for it. My dream would be a Mavic Crossmax ST 29er or Fulcrum Red Metal 29 XL but those are over the price "limit":) so I tried to search for an another (cheaper) option. I have just found two wheelsets. First is a Hope Hoops Pro 2 Evo w/ ZTR Crest rims, second is the same but with Flow EX rims. The first would be around 1720 grams but the rider weight limit is 190 lbs for the Crest rims and I'm 176 lbs which is quite close to the specified weight limit. I think the Flow EX is more an All Mountain rim than an XC but unfortunately I can't find this wheelset with Arch rims (which would be the good gold middle) in my favourite webshop.
Very likely, Crest rims will survive my XC/Trail style:) and I could find a review regarding the weight limit question as well but you know, one review is not 6-8 reviews which would give more precise answer to the question. :)
Actually I'm tending to choose the Crest rimmed wheelset, maybe it would also inspire me to focus more to achieve some weight loss, at least 4-5 lbs would be really great. :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts