Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I"m finally getting a 29er, its only taken 2 years, jeez. This is my first shot at building up a bike. I've got my 26FS stripped and I'm just waiting for my 21" Inbred 29er frame to arrive. Looks like I need a new FD and BB. I see the Inbred takes a 68mm BB, can someone recommend the correct spindle width? I'm currently using 3 year old LX cranks and would like to get an XT BB and possibly upgrade to XT cranks later.

Also, I know it is not ideal but I have to run my 105/Mavic CXP21 wheelset from my cross bike for awhile until I can get a dedicated 29er wheelset. Is there any big concerns with this. Is it possible to use some sort of spacer or washers to bring the spacing to 135 or is it OK to just squeeze the drop outs in a little.

This is a great forum. This new 29er and being my first build is bringing a whole new thrill to mountain biking. Kind of like back in '88 when I bought my first MTB a Rockhopper.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I'd say 113mm is the right spindle...

with those cranks if they are the Hollowtech splined V2 cranks. If they are square taper, I'd go with a 110mm.

As for the wheels, I think you should be fine squeezing the drops together the necessary 5mm. I'd be sure to use a nice internal cam mech QR such as a Shimano 105 if you still have the stock one from the hub. This will help prevent the wheel from slipping out of the drops.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a 29 inbred with LX hollowtech II

The latest type with the external bearings. They have an effetive width of 118 and they clear the stays fine. I believe that older LX needed a wider bracket (126mm). I think there is something on the on-one site aswell. I'd check the year/model type of yourt LX crank and e-mail Brant.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
There was only one year of LX,

that needed the 126mm spindle. I believe that was the 2004 model. If your crank is in fact 4 years old or so, and it's Hollowtech, you can use the ES70/71 (XT level) series of BB and the 113mm should be the right one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts