Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Can't for the life of me figure why they would stick to the old headtube instead of using 44m ZS :???: Other than that looks like a nice frame, interesting until that fact is noted, then it just slides away into oblivion for me and I'm sure loads of others :rolleyes:
Proven standard head tube which squillions of people have forks and headsets to fit.
Most shops have reaming and facing kit

Lots of reasons to stick with proven good old standards.

Considering 44mm on higher end stuff, but by the time you get much higher you're into titanium and carbon prices.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The batch after next won't have swapouts. I have reverted to slot dropouts, or vertical dropouts. Colours are back to white and some others. Will check my files.
Good idea with ditching the swapouts. They seemed like a solution to a problem that no one was having!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Proven standard head tube which squillions of people have forks and headsets to fit.

Considering 44mm on higher end stuff, but by the time you get much higher you're into titanium and carbon prices.
One of Inbred's strong points was (is?) always, besides price, his versatility. Adding ZS44 headtube would
only increase that versatility.

Salsa El Mariachi with ZS44 is 590 Euros.
Inbred is around 280 euros, right ? I would gladly pay 100 € or more for that extended versatility (pretty sure I'm not alone),
and such Inbred would still be the best deal out there for steel 29er frame.

It would be nice to pair geared Inbred with On-One Carbon Race fork (probably not alone here too), but looks like it's not going to be.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Never did see a US price on these, but if brands like Kona can do it on their steel HT, I don't see why On-One can't. As for folks already have forks to fit the old standard, don't you mean headsets only, because now with the 44 ID HTs you can chose to run whatever fork you want, much more versatile to me and I sure as hell ain't buying no frame because of a headset I have.

A ZS headset is about $50, $100 if you want fancy and if down the road you want to do tapered, you have the option (just need a new lower cup and bearing) and don't have to be looking for a new frame. Not sure with this frame, but I know reports from everyone who has switched to a tapered steerer fork is it is stiffer, less flex being seen.

As for the shops having the tools, come on 44 ID HTs have been around for at least 6 years now, so chances are most good shops will have the tools for the job once they "have the tools". Anyways, don't the frames come already prepped, so you don't need to be looking for tools for facing and chasing the BB and HT? If not, kind of defeats the idea of selling direct to the consumer don't you think?

·
Banned
2,320 Posts

+1 :thumbsup: YES!!
Deviating from standards causes many issues. No longer easy to find replacement parts at the LBS when your bike is OOC, and pushes component prices through the roof.
Very few 44/56mm headsets are available, and are sold as an upper & lower. IMO Spec-ing new dimensions limits part choices, and causes too much confusion - see BB30..

21 - 26 of 26 Posts