Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for what may be a dumb question....

Just trying to see if there is something I am missing when setting up stem length....whether frame specific or perhaps something 29er specific.

I have a Large One 9 with a 110mm stem and it feels almost perfect. A 100mm might have worked as well but definitely not shorter.

I just bought an 18" (I am 6'1" so the 18 was recommended) complete Inbred 29er and it only comes with an 80mm stem.

The large One 9 has an effective top tube listed as 24.5. The Inbred 29er has only a 23.6 effective top tube listed.

So....the 80mm clearly sounds like it will need to be sold off immediately and replaced. Is it is simple as arithmetic to figure out the comparable stem (but comparable using arithmetic alone is gonna give me way too long of a stem realistically anyway) or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
FoShizzle

·
Registered
17,615 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Sorry for what may be a dumb question....

Just trying to see if there is something I am missing when setting up stem length....whether frame specific or perhaps something 29er specific.

I have a Large One 9 with a 110mm stem and it feels almost perfect. A 100mm might have worked as well but definitely not shorter.

I just bought an 18" (I am 6'1" so the 18 was recommended) complete Inbred 29er and it only comes with an 80mm stem.

The large One 9 has an effective top tube listed as 24.5. The Inbred 29er has only a 23.6 effective top tube listed.

So....the 80mm clearly sounds like it will need to be sold off immediately and replaced. Is it is simple as arithmetic to figure out the comparable stem (but comparable using arithmetic alone is gonna give me way too long of a stem realistically anyway) or is there something else I need to be aware of?

Thanks,
FoShizzle
Won't head angle and seat angle play into this equation by affecting where the bars and saddle will end up?

I'm 5'9" and comfortable on an 18" Inbred with a 110 stem. Guys taller than I seem to be running shorter stems, so I don't know what the duck is going on there.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nat said:
Won't head angle and seat angle play into this equation by affecting where the bars and saddle will end up?

I'm 5'9" and comfortable on an 18" Inbred with a 110 stem. Guys taller than I seem to be running shorter stems, so I don't know what the duck is going on there.
oh boy.....now you have me really concerned. if i am taller than you and you run a 110mm stem!?!?

·
Registered
17,615 Posts
FoShizzle said:
oh boy.....now you have me really concerned. if i am taller than you and you run a 110mm stem!?!?
I wouldn't get too worried about it just yet. I saw that my setup was a topic of discussion on another messageboard and all those other guys were wondering how I could be using such a long stem. All I know is that it feels right to me.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't know Fo, I am 6'1" and can't ride an 18" from any company. As long as the standover height on the 21" isn't horrendous, I would go that route.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear guys.....

However, I feel a little better now about the 18" Inbred. Since I love the standover on my One 9, the 21" Inbred would be almost 3" higher standover! (unless I am reading the site wrong).

My thinking aloud...
* The One 9 is also only an 18.5 ST which I love
* My Phil Wood is a 18" seattube with a 24" eff TT
* My old 20" Surly 1x1 had the exact same eff TT as the 18" Inbred 29er (23.6") and with a 120mm stem felt perfect -> so I think my answer is probably a 120mm stem on the 18" 29er Inbred to get the cockpit, standover, etc. that I want.

p.s. we all know that Nat only runs a longish stem cause he needs the attention.....after all, he does have a foot fetish which aint normal

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
I'm 6 feet tall and ride a 18" frame with a 100 mm stem it rides really good and I would not use a longer stem because I like the quick handling

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
realbiker said:
I'm 6 feet tall and ride a 18" frame with a 100 mm stem it rides really good and I would not use a longer stem because I like the quick handling

good point. while I know the 80mm that comes with it wont work, I may just put the 110mm....will see how it feels with both a 110 and 120.

I actually just realized I do not even know if my bars will be the Mary of Fleegle (guess I will find out when it arrives). I run a 10 deg rise on my bikes with a pretty high rise (EA70 2" rise). Not sure how the On-One bars will feel since I have become accustomed to a pretty high front end.

thanks

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
you have to take into consideration the handlebars too (sweep etc. etc.)

I think Nat runs a 110mm stem but I also think he runs Mary Bars or something with a bunch of sweep.

Is that accurate Nat?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
FoShizzle said:
good point. while I know the 80mm that comes with it wont work, I may just put the 110mm....will see how it feels with both a 110 and 120.

I actually just realized I do not even know if my bars will be the Mary of Fleegle (guess I will find out when it arrives). I run a 10 deg rise on my bikes with a pretty high rise (EA70 2" rise). Not sure how the On-One bars will feel since I have become accustomed to a pretty high front end.

thanks
29ers come with fleegle bars. Personally, I think you should stop worrying about what might be a problem until you've ridden it with the parts fitted. Then make a sizing decision re: stem length and bar height.

Any guesses are liable to be wrong/affected by other geometric factors not considered ie: bb height, headtube length etc...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
29ers come with fleegle bars. Personally, I think you should stop worrying about what might be a problem until you've ridden it with the parts fitted. Then make a sizing decision re: stem length and bar height.

Any guesses are liable to be wrong/affected by other geometric factors not considered ie: bb height, headtube length etc...
you are right. perhaps for once I should in fact do what is logical and in this case, wait till it is up and running. i cannot wait.

·
Just give me hardpack
99 Posts
Depends a lot on saddle to bar drop too.

I've been thinking about this a lot recenlty and playing round with my bikes with diferent set-ups.

The lower the bar, the longer the effective TT, and the less the hip to waist angle formed is. Hence on a bike with a shorter TT, run the stem and bar lower, and a similar 'stretch' is created at the hip/waist (not at shoulder though).

I've found that I can run the same bike with a 120mm stemand 4 cm of spacers, or with a 100mm stem with 1 cm spacers. Pedalling position is very similar, bu tI refer the 2nd set-up.

·
Just give me hardpack
99 Posts
realbiker said:
a comparison between a 18" with 100 mm stem and a 21" with 105 mm stem ;)

Would you be able to post the saddle height on those two as in th epics? Would help with seeing where I'd end up. Thanks!

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NoMud said:
I've been thinking about this a lot recenlty and playing round with my bikes with diferent set-ups.

The lower the bar, the longer the effective TT, and the less the hip to waist angle formed is. Hence on a bike with a shorter TT, run the stem and bar lower, and a similar 'stretch' is created at the hip/waist (not at shoulder though).

I've found that I can run the same bike with a 120mm stemand 4 cm of spacers, or with a 100mm stem with 1 cm spacers. Pedalling position is very similar, bu tI refer the 2nd set-up.
interesting thought....thanks. i will simply do as Brant says and try it as is and play around with it accordingly.

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
NoMud said:
Would you be able to post the saddle height on those two as in th epics? Would help with seeing where I'd end up. Thanks!
The left one (18" frame) has a height of 76 cm (center - top) and the right one (21") has height of 84 cm (center - top). The rider sizes are 183 cm (6') and 193 cm (6' 4") - I hope that I could help you !!! ;)

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
wrong size

FoShizzle said:
I think you should sell it to me and buy (OOPS {trade}) for a larger one.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pacman said:
I think you should sell it to me and buy (OOPS {trade}) for a larger one.
i actually would not want it any larger. this frame size is in sync with EVERY frame I have ever had. I know I should wait to see how it feels and then go from their but I found a great deal (just under $100) for a FSA K Force Carbon riser bar and the Easton Magnesium stem in 120mm, both of which will help with the rigid setup. At that price (normally $140 for the stem and $110 for the bars) I cant lose. I can always put it on my Phil Wood.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i actually would not want it any larger. this frame size is in sync with EVERY frame I have ever had. I know I should wait to see how it feels and then go from their but I found a great deal (just under $100) for a FSA K Force Carbon riser bar and the Easton Magnesium stem in 120mm, both of which will help with the rigid setup. At that price (normally $140 for the stem and $110 for the bars) I cant lose. I can always put it on my Phil Wood.
not delivered yet and you've already switched out stuff?! At least you haven't broken that new years resolution!!! :D :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts