Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just took my first ride on my new Inbred 29'er frame yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic. Clearly the best riding singlespeed frame I've ever owned (past experience was with a 26" Monocog, 2 Surly 1x1s and a GF Rig). One problem though. I built it up with the same 32 x 20 gearing, KMC chain, and Bontrager ACX 2.2 rear tire I had on the Rig. With that gearing, chain length and rear tire, the rear wheel sits almost at the very front of the horizontal drops, shoving the tire waaaaaay forward in the chain stays. In fact, the wide part of the rear tire is now forward of the wide part of the chainstays. I think I have less than a millimeter of clearance on each side of the tire. In fact, in one ride yesterday, I rubbed all the paint off both stays down to bare metal, which is less than optimal with a steel frame, obviously. However, when I added a full link to the chain, the chain became too long and even with the rear wheel moved all the way back to the back end of the drops the chain would not get tight. Fookity fook fook.

Anybody else have this problem running 32 x 20 on an Inbred 29'er? What was your solution? Three possible solutions I see: adding a half link, changing the rear cog to an 18 or 19, or getting a narrower rear tire. The last option would really, really piss me off since I one reason bought the Inbred 29'er was for the better tire clearance over the Rig. I also would not be happy about having to put a smaller cog on the back, since 32 x 20 is the optimal 29'er SS gearing for where I live. It looks like the Inbred's stays, however, were designed to be run with a 32 x 18 gearing. Anybody else with this issue? Your solution?

Edit: Here's a photo of the clearance and a photo of the possible reason for the problem - the mechanic who built the bike seems to have reversed the dropouts. Hmmm.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
you could try running a 34/21 or 22. That might give you a different chain length. Either that or just get a half link. That would probably solve your problem with the least bit of heartake.

·
( )
755 Posts
if hte dropouts are in fact reversed, would switching them around put the wheel rearward enought to solve the problem?

EDIT: I didn't see your edit, so yeah, i think you figure out the problem

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Problem solved...or, wow that was an easy fix

Reversed the dropouts, put a full link in the chain and voila - perfect. Tire fits fine and the chain is tight, with room to spare for chain stretch.

What irks me is this: when I pulled off the dropouts, I saw that they had a flat side and a raised side that fit neatly within the recessed portion of the frame slider area. I thought "how could they have missed THAT??!!!" I'm no mechanic, but the way these dropouts fit into the frame is pretty obvious. Not sure why I didn't notice the reversed drops yesterday. :rolleyes:

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMcG said:
Doh! Maybe a few too many beers for whoever built that one up?
I doubt it. This LBS does great work and I've never had an issue before. However, those Inbred dropouts are a little bit different than anything else I've seen and everybody has a bad day, you know? I'm just happy I got it figured out without having to spend any money!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts