Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIGHLANDS RANCH - A cyclist is in critical condition after being hit by a car while riding in Highlands Ranch Wednesday.

The cyclist was heading east on Wildcat Reserve Parkway at Summit View Road at about 1:30 p.m. when a car heading the same direction swerved into him.

The driver of the car was a 17-year-old. His name isn't being released. He was the only person in the car. The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says an investigation into the accident is ongoing and no charges have been filed.

That's the channel 9 press release. What they don't tell you is that the kid was TEXT MESSAGING while driving (according to ch2 news last nite). It's bad enough that people talk on their phones while driving, but text messaging? W. T. F! Hope the cyclist pulls through. What a way to spend your TurkeyDay...while the kid's at home eating stuffing and playing on his X-Box. :mad:

Anyway, to that brilliant 17 year old, here's to you...

Attachments

·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
follow up

from channel 4 website...

(CBS4) HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. A cyclist was in critical condition Wednesday night. Investigators said he was hit by a teen driver who was distracted by text messaging on a cell phone.

Police said the 17-year-old driver crossed over into a cycling lane in Highlands Ranch.

A 63-year-old man riding a bicycle was hit. His injuries were considered serious and life threatening.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I hate cell phones

This guy may lose his life because of an idiot on a cell phone. Try this, count how many times in one day RUDE cell phone use causes problems- driving, waiting in line, eating, movies ect. It is getting ridiculous. rant over

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
coolhandluchs said:
and no charges have been filed.
They may be waiting to see what ultimately happens to the victim before deciding on charges. If he pulls through it would likely be careless driving or maybe reckless since he was deliberately doing something that would impair his driving. If he doesn't make it, then it could be vehicular manslaughter, which is a felony.

A bad situation for everyone involved. The really unfortunate part is that it is getting more and more common.

Be safe on the roads and watch out for the idiots everyone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm glad someone else caught that too. Channel 31 also mentioned the text messaging issue, but they only said no charges have been filed at this time. A friend of mine was killed in TX road riding-training for mtb racing so that story really floored me. WTF?!?!?! Not even a moving violation? I truly hope they are waiting to see how the victim turns out so they can decided the severity of the punishment. Kid deserves to have the book thrown at him.

·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Somebody one-upped this kid

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=146498

Didn't read the article, just the posts, but the jist is that somebody was bored, so he went out and shot a cyclist. Cuz he was bored.

On second thought, the kid still gets the [email protected]$$ award. The other guy wasn't being stupid, just homicidal.

Stories like this make me wonder why my wife and I brought our daughter into this FU'd world. :(

·
Awesomist™
2,940 Posts
Whew, I thought this thread was gonna be about me... I'm usually the dumbest one amongst my friends...

But seriously, I hope that fella that got hit pulls through, effing kids on cell phones. Good call on the not being charged... yet. Probably are waiting to see if the guy pulls through.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
cartman said:
The cyclist died. My condolences to his family and friends. Cops promise charge of careless driving resulting in death.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3253057
Yeah, just read that in this mornings newspaper. That sucks. His wife said she forgives the kid. I don't. She must be a better person than me. It was the second time the guy was seriously hit by a car while riding in the bike lane in HR. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The KC murder was

"allegedly" committed by black punks with nothing else to do. Read the article.
If you read the posts, how did you conclude that some ******* was the perp? Traditionally ******** have been white southerners. Has this changed in your world.

coolhandluchs said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=146498

Didn't read the article, just the posts, but the jist is that some ******* was bored, so he went out and shot a cyclist. Cuz he was bored. Guess the goats weren't puttin' out anymore.

On second thought, the kid still gets the [email protected]$$ award. The ******* wasn't being stupid, just homicidal.

Stories like this make me wonder why my wife and I brought our daughter into this FU'd world. :(

·
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Note to self...

...read the article next time. :eek:

I think I associated "*******" from this reply:

I don't know if that's going to help you any. I grew up in the country as well, and most of my "friends" would entertain themselves (again, when "bored") by driving around in trucks and beating anyone they saw with bats. If there was someone on a bike, they'd hit them with their car for a laugh. Yeah, people are great.
I grew up in an area like that, and yes, some of "those people" happily identified themselves as ********. Myself, I'm just a country bumpkin, a po' farmboy.

I saw that the HR cyclist died too. Condolences to his family. It seems like the holiday season brings its share of tragedy as well as joy. :(

Stay safe out there :cool:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Man, that's why I stick to the trails

Too many variables out on the roads. I've seen at least 6 million soccer moms eating a hamburger, on the cell phone, and smacking one of the kids in the back seat at the same time, steering the car with her chin none the less. I say I'll take my chances on the dirt and stay the heck off the road.

My condolences to the family of the cyclist. Sad part is, that kid is back driving now and probably still on his phone doing whatever!

·
Registered
300 Posts
that's messed up...it's like 2 blocks from my house and I ride that street all the time. Guess it's not safe to go outside anymore. Actually, I just got back from Australia and they have a law against people using a cellphone in the car. You have to pull over to talk. I thought it was the best idea ever!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts