Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
221 - 229 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
My peripheral vision is starting to suck. I have to be careful when I stand up or explode on the pedals- my knees feel a bit more fragile.
I recently started using a CPAP machine & feel years younger. Other than that, I'm still in the front few guys on a climb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm in my early 70s and have been mountain biking almost as long and there have been mountain bikes. Three years, ago, I had yet another bad injury, barely escaping with my life. Broke my C1 collar on the first vertebrae in my neck after getting thrown from the bike while trying to clear a boulder. After recovering, I had to make my husband a promise that there would be no more stunt riding and that I would keep both wheels on the ground at all times. I've been true to my promise and have no regrets. It's always been about being out on the trail, back in the woods and the grasslands that I love that keeps me mountain biking, anyway. Keeping it less risky hasn't diminished that at all.

As for the age thing, biggest issue is now the numb hands issue after so many years of riding. Takes longer to get up the hills, too, but at least I am getting up them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still enjoy it as much as ever but definitely feel aches and pains a bit more. Knee hurts for no real reason. Wrist hurts for no real reason. I don't have quite the amount of horsepower on tap as I used to. Especially on longer climbs. The main thing I've noticed as I get older is to not stop riding. Don't take time off! Even if it means just cruise around.The skills deteriorate pretty quickly as you age. I could take off a year from riding in my 30's, jump back on the bike and in a couple months be right where I was. Not so anymore. The reaction times and muscle memory just doesn't come back as it was.

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts

I still enjoy riding, I just haven't made the effort to actually get out and ride. I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago, and now I'm starting to feel the same pain in my left hip. So probably beginning of next year is when I'll get that one replaced. My last real ride was a 42 mile road ride April 2019, plus a short 10 miler with my wife on July 4th, 2019. I haven't been on a bike since. Last year I started to part out my MTB. But this fall I've decided to just rebuild my hardtail as a full rigid SS. That'll teach me from not riding for 2.5 years.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
48 and counting.

Been riding 8 years.

Was introduced to the long, low & slack early on via Kona Process (slack STA, not so much HTA)

I'm hitting, sending things - that I wouldn't have even looked at when I was 40.

I'm sending stuff, I wouldn't have considered when I was 47!!

So, I guess I'm improving

Biggest difference (40 to 48) is I have a fleet of bikes now...

1) AM HT 29er
2) Short Travel 29er (moolay)
3) 29+ Rig
4) 650b Enduro Steed

Also, my two boys are getting bigger and we go on roadies together.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Used to be a fast XC racer back whenNorba semi-pro meant a thing.

Took a 15 year hiatus from racing, just to ride, but entered a couple of marathon XC events this year. Sucked at the Silver Rush 50, got on a training program, lost 20 pounds, and got a podium in my first 100 miler.

Looking at doing 7 or 8 long races in 2022.

How has age affected me? I’m slower relative to fast 25 years olds, but not by as much as one would think.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just to revisit this thread....I’m now 57 and ride a lot better than I did even three years ago after extensive training (for my failed Tour Divide attempt in June, ha ha...next attempt 2023) I can ride for hours at a time even in the mountains with almost no recovery time, no pain, and no adverse effects. We had a local trail in Michigan that used to take me three hours to ride but my last time was a few minutes over two hours and I was passing people.

I ride conservatively, however, when it comes to technical stuff. My wife and I support a lot of people and I can’t risk a serious injury that would put me out of work. Now that we’ve moved to Arizona the potential for injury is everywhere. Sharp rocks and spiky plants.

But this is not new. Age is not just a number but barring some
catastrophe like cancer, you can maintain fitness long into middle age. I have never smoked, done drugs, and gave up alcohol in 1987 which helps. And I work out or ride almost every day. Days I don’t seem weird.

221 - 229 of 229 Posts