Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
You should test your bone density to see where you are. The finis is a very strong bone.

Do you lift? Strong muscles help with bone density and reaction time

And at 50, way too young to have your reaction time slow.

This requires medical attention.

I'm 72, lift, mountain bike, technical stuff, and ski a lot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Trail Rider
1,573 Posts
I love being outdoors, but the enduro bike days are behind me, so what's in front of me?
Trail riding. Short/mid-travel 29er sounds like a great idea.

Take it easy

I'm 51, have been riding off road for 30+ years. I still get after it, but ditched the "ride fast, take chances" creed 10 yrs ago. Hasn't diminished the fun one single bit.

·
partsman
163 Posts
i started mountain biking in 1953 ai the San Gabriel mountains above Pasadena. as a 12 year old had no fear and plenty of endurance. rode until 1957 when i got my drivers license . picked it up again in 1991 and found out that the fear factor was a lot higher and endurance was gone. kept riding and got my endurance back some what. had to stop in 2014 when i had a quadruple by-pass. sure do miss it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You should test your bone density to see where you are. The finis is a very strong bone.

Do you lift? Strong muscles help with bone density and reaction time

And at 50, way too young to have your reaction time slow.

This requires medical attention.

I'm 72, lift, mountain bike, technical stuff, and ski a lot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
Bone density is one of the questions I'll ask when I go to my follow up in a week. My reation time may have been overstated. It's more that I've always had slower than average reaction time, and now, with my age, I just feel the high speed stuff is off the table. I do High Intensity workouts that sometimes involve weights and always have some body weight type resistance. It has been the best thing I've done in my life to keep me healthy. 4 times a week, 30 minutes. It's a no brainer for keeping me in good health. Thanks for your response. Glad to hear that it's more about attitude.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Trail riding. Short/mid-travel 29er sounds like a great idea.

Take it easy

I'm 51, have been riding off road for 30+ years. I still get after it, but ditched the "ride fast, take chances" creed 10 yrs ago. Hasn't diminished the fun one single bit.
Awesome to hear that. I really do love just being out there too. And, in the last year have wondered many times why I still try to hit some things. The lust for jumps and high speeds is definitely not there like it was 10 years ago, lol.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
i started mountain biking in 1953 ai the San Gabriel mountains above Pasadena. as a 12 year old had no fear and plenty of endurance. rode until 1957 when i got my drivers license . picked it up again in 1991 and found out that the fear factor was a lot higher and endurance was gone. kept riding and got my endurance back some what. had to stop in 2014 when i had a quadruple by-pass. sure do miss it.
Good on ya BR, you were a pioneer! Hope you're still staying active!

·
Destroyer of Worlds
159 Posts
I'm 64. Started mountain biking (trail riding) at 61 and downhill biking at, uh, 64. I wish like hell I could have started earlier--any amount earlier--but until recently I had very little slack in my budget for things like bikes, snowboards, or season passes. Now I have the bucks to spare and I'm playing catch-up.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm 64. Started mountain biking (trail riding) at 61 and downhill biking at, uh, 64. I wish like hell I could have started earlier--any amount earlier--but until recently I had very little slack in my budget for things like bikes, snowboards, or season passes. Now I have the bucks to spare and I'm playing catch-up.
My wife started at 58. She's about to turn 68 and is getting PR's. Now, they're not super fast, but she does seem to be getting faster and improving, and that's really the key.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,302 Posts
52(?)

The one thing that hasn't changed is that I still really like riding my bike! Doesn't matter where, or with whom, or how fast.

I would ride every day if I didn't have other things to do. Some days are slower than others, though.

Pros:
My bike skills are good enough that I am really efficient - cover lotsa terrain of all kinds with minimal effort.
My body still responds positively to actual training and hard efforts.
Stamina seems to be as good as ever, even though power might be down a little.

Cons:
Injuries take longer to heal.
Eyes! WTF is up with my eyes?! Sometimes I can see everything perfectly - sometimes it's like I have water in my eyes. Makes reading the trail very difficult at times.
Trail memory is eroding. ("Where'd that come from?") Makes every trail like a new trail! ;):LOL:
Haven't been able to ride enough to keep myself strong like before. I think it just takes more effort. Or maybe I'm just starting to take it easier. ??? In any case, I can never tell if I'm going to have a strong ride or a slow ride until I'm nearly done. Sometimes it's like I'm spending the entire ride waiting for that switch to flip and it never does. But when it does flip, I've gone for hours in time trial mode and still felt great.

Glad to hear so many are still enjoying themselves!

-F

·
9 lives
16,635 Posts
I'm usually the one of oldest participants in any activity I partake. Riding, running, crossfit etc. I've found this has advantages because health and fitness don't have an age .

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,752 Posts
Early mid 50’s.

Been riding dirt since late 90s (30ish years old)

I am the most confident and skilled I’ve ever been on DH and technical stuff.

That said, I definitely ride smarter. I no longer launch a drop or jump without knowing what I am landing on. I have also learned not to blindly trust jumps if I don’t know who built them. I also keep my speed down in some situations where I used to just open it up and hang on. I’ve been paying attention to how people I know get badly hurt. I thus focus on getting my yah yahs from slower technical riding or tight trails then from high speed bombing. Better to wreck at low speed than high speed.

I’ve stopped buying new frames every 2-3 years trying to keep up with the latest new thing. I am riding a 26” 2012 frame and have come to peace with that. This would have been unacceptable to me 10 years ago.

Recovery takes longer. Both from injury or just a hard day.

I’ve become a bit more picky about when I ride, not wanted to get caught in the rain or ride in the mud or ride in deep leaves. I used to not care about any of that. Living in Upstate NY, that has cut a bit into the number of days I can ride.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,752 Posts
I forgot the single biggest difference:

It is getting harder and harder to read my phone/gps/map!

I’m going to need to take some cheap readers with me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
69, ride most days (retirement sucks), choose terrain based primarily by how hot it is out as I still sweat like a pig.
I agree with kapusta that I am really frustrated with needing glasses to-read Inreach and phone. Switched to yellow lenses some years ago as I found dark sunglasses blinded me in the trees. That and the waterfall dripping down the glasses from my helmet when I look down.
My hands get numb during descents, making a helmet with Fidlock attachment a godsend.
I primarily ride alone, and frequently out of cell range so the Garmin Inreach mini is reassuring for my wife (cardinal rule of insurance, don’t be worth more dead than alive).

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
52(?)Eyes! WTF is up with my eyes?!
LOL, I asked my eye doc this very question last fall (I'm 46). His answer - "welcome to your 40s".

The eye gets less flexible with age so it takes longer to adjust between near and far focusing. It seems to take a half second for my vision to adjust when I look up from a computer screen. Also, especially for desk jockies, the tear ducts can atrophy because we're not blinking enough and that results in dry eye syndrome (Google Lipoflow therapy, it did wonders for my wife).

The main thing I noticed with age is that I'm less motivated to ride. In my 20s - mid 30s I would go everyday if I could. Now I don't even want to ride that often - I just have other stuff that I want to do and sometimes it has nothing to do with exercise. I've also been riding the same local trails for over 20 years. When new ones are built or when I can ride in new places / roadtrip it's one thing, when it's the same 6-15 mile climb followed by a 6-15 mile decent (most of the rides here are like that) it actually gets boring.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I'm 58. Been mountain biking since I was 42. Age honestly hasn't changed anything for me-that's because I think I found a sustainable way to grow old mountain biking:
  • I'm not competitive and never raced.
  • I ride at a slow to moderate pace and have no desire to get faster.
  • I mostly ride alone and enjoy the solitude and my own company (and peer pressure is nonexistent).
  • I ride just as much for being out in wild and scenic places as for the riding.
  • MTB is only one of several sports I enjoy (others include kayaking, flyfishing, XC skiing).
  • I'm happy to ride green and blue trails all the time (as well as fire roads).

Consider this a recipe for how to ride until you can't balance on the bike anymore!
Scott

Reactions: Cary

·
Registered
106 Posts
I can say that age hasn't impacted my riding the slightest bit. I bought my first mtb when I was 54, and now, at 54, I'm still improving with every ride!

Eyes! WTF is up with my eyes?!
Yeah, I was doing really well, far above average, until about 50. I'm grateful that my eyes are healthy, and all my vision problems are correctable with lenses. (For those who don't realize, I'll mention that poor focus generally isn't the result of pathology; sometimes healthy eyes just don't focus the image on the center of the retina as we would wish.)

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Didn't take up MTB'in until I was 41 y/o.

Of course I rode bikes as a kid up until I was 12 or so years of age.

When you're a kid you sorta figure things out as you go i.e. trial and error.

It would've been great to get coaching as a young fella on my bike.

Skills aquired way back in the day, have helped me initially in my passion for MTB'in.

But, trail management comes into it & hitting jumps on your BMX bike as a young fella allows you to have some confidence in the air.

But, there weren't to many bomb holes or drops on the ole local bmx track to practice on.

I'm 48 years young and know my limitations.

If I had taken up the sport even 20 years ago, I'd be a lot more skilled after the same time I've been in the sport to date.

At my age you can't afford to wreck.

When I was a young fella, I had some great wrecks... but, you bounce up and carry on so much quicker/easier.

I remember riding with my boys a few years ago.

The older one was like 7 or 8 and he did the most wicked scorpion onto asphalt!!

He shed a few tears, needed a hug and got back on the bike and was away like it never happened!!

I would've gone to hospital and been in traction for a 6 months!!

As a nipper you push the limits, it's a natural thing... When you wreck you dust of the dirt and tears and go again b/c you have that built in kamikaze mode.

Now... I can bomb down hill pretty quick, but it's usually very measured i.e. look before you leap.

Think it, see it, do it...

90-95% intensity.

Very rarely will I hit 100% intensity... that zone where the bandwidth starts to get overloaded.

I don't mind having one or two, 10c 50c moments during any particular ride.

It makes you feel alive and definitely gets the old feel good hormones flowing.

Getting more coaching?

I'm happy doing what I'm doing.

Occasionally I'll have a wreck (can anyone explain to me why they come in three's!?) and it ends up being a learning experience.

If you don't learn from your mistakes you're poked!

Most wrecks I have are usually from not paying attention, getting too cocky or just riding when I'm tired i.e. lacking the focus at that particular time.

For me riding is about the camaraderie of riding with friends and feeding of each other's energy aka the Stoke.

Solo rides are about having some chillax time and getting in a little exercise. I hardly ever push as hard on a solo ride as I do on a group ride.

Keep shredding and stay rubber side down!!

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
At my age you can't afford to wreck.
THIS. The most shocking thing to me as I've aged is how your recovery time increases to MONTHS after any sort of serious injury. Hell, my immune system is robust and bombproof for someone my age, and even a bleeding scrape takes WEEKS to heal completely.

I absolutely prioritize not getting hurt above ALL ELSE. If I have to walk an entire trail because I think I'll crash on it, I will. Because I'd rather be able to walk the trail than be out of commission for months.

Scott

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'll be 62 in Oct and after all these years riding I'm having more fun than ever. Injuries happen and recovery can take longer but I've found that the older I get the better I understand my body and make adjustments as needed. I'm currently recovering from a total ankle replacement in late March. Was back on the trail at less than 4 months out. I've gotten 4 rides in so far and easing back into it but it's great to be back in the woods.

Been doing this for awhile...In early '70s growing up in Western Maine we had snowmobile trails running by my house. When the snow melted and mud dried up we would ride those trails for miles through the woods, try stupid/extreme **** in sand-pits, ride through streams, make trails through the trees, etc. The 'hot' bike at the time was my 26" Sears 3-speed with skinny tires...that thing would RIP but the suspension sucked and the brakes were useless!!

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
The 'hot' bike at the time was my 26" Sears 3-speed with skinny tires...that thing would RIP but the suspension sucked and the brakes were useless!!
I mountain biked all the time on one of these (and drainage-ditch biked and city hall steps-biked and neighbors' front yard-biked and every other possible place to ride!)...these things RULED. In fact, I think I want a banana seat on my Giant Anthem XC bike...

Or heck, forget that-you can still buy the FULL SUSPENSION Orange Krate!

181 - 200 of 229 Posts