Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm visiting my in-laws in Tulsa for the next week and change. I'm looking for suggestions for nearby trails to ride. We've spent many holidays there already, so I've done Turkey Mtn. and Keystone too many times. I'm considering Greenleaf and possibly some of the stuff in the Ozarks, but would love some feedback and other suggestions. The more challenging the better.

thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are quite a few trails around, it just depends on how much you want to drive. Close by, there's Osage hills. The last time I did GreenLeaf, it was in pretty rough shape, but may be better now. The OKC area has some good riding, Ardmore has a good trail. One of my favorites is Lake McMurtry, over at Stillwater. Roman Nose is a fun trail . Arkansas has a ton of good riding, Lake Leatherwood, Devils Den, the Womble, The Ouchitas. Look under trail reviews here on MTBR for specifics on the trails.If you think you want to do Greenleaf, I was thinking of trying it again myself sometime in the next week or so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm willing to drive a couple hours, but I wanted to make sure the trails I go to are worth it. A fun 6mile loop probably wouldn't be worth it, I'm looking for a 2-3 hr ride minimum. If the option is a couple good trails right near each other, I'd be good with that too.

thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lake McMurtry has 4 loops, totaling about 18 miles, that are grouped on different sides of the lake. Greenleaf is around 18 miles, with 2 loops connected. It's really designed as a hiking trail, and I'd say some of it's a little sketchy on a bike. But you definitely feel like you've done something when you're done. The Womble in Arkansas is 30+ miles, not very technical, but fun. I also hear that Syllamo is great, but have never ridden it. Anyway, my employer keeps changing my work schedule. I'm still going to try to get out to Greenleaf, weather and time permitting. Hope this has helped, Tony.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greanleaf is in okay shape for the first few miles due to it being a hiking trail. Towards the halfway point it disappears into overgrown grass. I had to hike a mile or so to find the trail. Also with the weather not being cold enough yet to get rid of the tics, that could be an issue. I had nearly 100 nymph tics on me after the ride!! NO exaggeration!

I ride Draper and Clear Bay on a regular basis and both are fun. Clear Bay in Norman has a few miles of new cut trail that is loads of fun. If you want to come ride either one of those I am always game to get out. I am not sure of the distances, but Clear bay takes about 2 hours to ride the entire trail and Draper is a little shorter.

Bar H is probably 3-4 hours from tulsa and is a great challenging trail in North Texas.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I second the McMurtry thing and the okc stuff, particularly Bluff Creek and Clearbay in Norman are all fun rides. Nothing really technically challenging about any of them if you "grew up" at Turkey, but fun nonetheless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
its been about a year. Its fine until the hiking trail ends, and then its not so good. When I went the markers were wearing off, but still visible. If you had a GPS to match up to the trail map, it might help. The trail has potential, but needs some work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.