Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went for a ride on Wednesday up at Bootleg Canyon, one of my hangouts:) The weather was perfect and the temperature was so right on I never got too hot or too cool. It was just so right that it made me feel like I could ride all day. You know those days dont come along all that often so I took advantage of that "in the zone" feeling and pedaled my ass off.

Along the way I ran into the trailmaster himself, Brent Thompson. He was happy to pose for a pic before we headed down his newest creation of which I dont think there is a name yet. Brent is really outdoing himself on this one and I know it will be one of my favorites already. You can see some of the rollercoaster type trail in one of the pics that is just part of this new trail.

Of course all rides must come to an end so after cruising around caldera loop it was time for bombing back down to the parking lot. On my way down the West Leg I passed the first rattlesnake Ive seen out here in the last 7 years. He was on a rock outcropping getting some sun as I went cruising by. I never seen him but I sure heard him! It was very loud so Im sure my shoulder passed within 2 feet of the snake. Im probably lucky that I was going at pretty good speed otherwise I could have been bit. Once I calmed down I walked back and snapped a pic as he wrapped himself around a small branch.

It was a great way to spend the afternoon. I can only hope that my rides in the future will be as good as this one was,

Shawn

Attachments

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Pretty

Looks like a fine day to be out riding. There is some green out there, I seem to remember rain in the forcast when I was trying to put together a road trip in March.

Walt

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mattbikeboy said:
Man I've been here almost 9 years now and I have yet to see a rattler. I used to see them in Reno nearly every ride in the summer.

mc
I guess it will be another 7 years if Im lucky:)

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Eeck! I wouldn't want to be bumping into a rattler on the trails. Its bad enough riding near or stepping near the territory of a harmless snake as it is...

Nice trails by the way.... Looked like a nice day for it. :)

·
Registered
13,119 Posts
Very cool Shawn. Wow, that second pic hurts my eyes. The sky is very blue and the rock is very red at bootleg...... but methinks perhaps you overcooked the contrast and/or color enhance a tad on that one, no?

Is the first pic in the second goup the one of the new trail? does it connect clear across Caldera yet? Looks fun.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KRob said:
Very cool Shawn. Wow, that second pic hurts my eyes. The sky is very blue and the rock is very red at bootleg...... but methinks perhaps you overcooked the contrast and/or color enhance a tad on that one, no?

Is the first pic in the second goup the one of the new trail? does it connect clear across Caldera yet? Looks fun.
I may have over done it a tad but it was very blue that day. Its almost paradise here.

Shawn

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Found your friend today at Bootleg

Sure, I would say that I haven't seen a snake in Southern Nevada. We found this feller checking out the demo fleet at the REI mountain bike demo today. I was there with a BARTA booth handing out info on riding in Southern Nevada and this 2.5-3 foot rattler surprised people at the REI pop-up tent.

I guess Summer is upon us here in Southern Nevada.

Matt

Attachments

·
Ich bin ein Knolliner
225 Posts
mattbikeboy said:
Sure, I would say that I haven't seen a snake in Southern Nevada. We found this feller checking out the demo fleet at the REI mountain bike demo today. I was there with a BARTA booth handing out info on riding in Southern Nevada and this 2.5-3 foot rattler surprised people at the REI pop-up tent.

I guess Summer is upon us here in Southern Nevada.

Matt
Yep Matt, I saw your little friend there too.

It was my first time in Bootleg (what a great place), and I guess it must be a bad year for snakes...I saw three rattlers Firday-Sunday and heard one or two others. One even took a pop at me on Skyline (I was the unlucky "second rider"). Thankfully, he missed.

What a great spot and what a great weekend. Wish I had pics but was too busy hanging on.

·
Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
380 Posts
Is that a Speckled Rattlesnake???

Those all look like PANAMINT SPECKLED RATTLESNAKES (Crotalus mitchelli stephensi). Can anyone confirm? Just curious.

Shawn - your snake doesn't look particularly friendly.

I saw three rattlers out at Bootleg last year. One on Mother (Mohave?), Caldera (sidewinder), and Eastleg (Speckled?). Bet we see a lot more this year because of all the rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.