Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some looking around on "teh intranets" this morning and found this recent helmet-cam footage from Matt Lehikoinen practicing. I had thought he was out for good from his broken back last year but here he is, alive and well. That is, until he crashed on another practice run later. Anyway, I can only look at this footage through the eyes of the slowest descender in the world (me). Could someone with DH skilz comment on this footage?

http://www.swispeople.cz/webs/video/gallery/downhill_matti_lehikoinen

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does helmet-cam footage seem faster than it is

TIMBERRR said:
Hard to comment sinc its not a trail at APEX. Looks fast though.
since our perspective isn't taking in the trail farther ahead? Or can we just assume that Matt's going about as fast as anyone could go through any one section on this course? It seems like he's all over the place and is forced into riding some pretty "bad" lines through some areas but maybe that's what going a zillion mph through this stuff makes you do. What do I know? I don't think I took a breath watching the whole thing, though.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
Some times what looks like a "bad line" is often the fastest line. Most of my friends won't follow me down the mountain because they say I pick crazy lines, but I'll beat them to the bottom by over a minute. At speed, you have to rely on your suspension, geometry and skill to get you over some very nasty stuff.

Is he going fast, yes very fast. It's hard to tell from helmet cams how fast a rider is going unless there is another rider directly in front going the same speed. He's easily in the top 10 best Dh'ers out there right now. I think it's awesome that he's back, I didn't know he had another crash. The original crash that broke his back was a fluke, you'll see it in the attached video link.

Check out this video:

http://www.freecaster.tv/1000006_1005109

·
friend of Apex
4,009 Posts
Riders who specialize in one discipline get better and better at less and less.

XCguy - you should do some DH, I'd bet your XC skilz will improve (even going uphill)

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
You want fast, here's fast:

10-seconds up on a short course at the WC's, crashes hard in the final corner and still comes in 3rd? He's on a whole 'nuther level. That punky monobrow'd Australian is like the Eddie Merckx of the DH world.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
DWF said:
That punky monobrow'd Australian is like the Eddie Merckx of the DH world.
I've watched some SICK pro DH at MSC races, and that run seriously looked insane. As the commentator noted - it looked like the film had been sped up! How the eff did he fly through all that gnarly sh1t than blow a sweeper turn out in the open?

That is one of the sickest clips I've seen. Thanks for the link!

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
DWF said:

10-seconds up on a short course at the WC's, crashes hard in the final corner and still comes in 3rd? He's on a whole 'nuther level. That punky monobrow'd Australian is like the Eddie Merckx of the DH world.
Didn't Atherton come in and win by 14 seconds or something like that?

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
He's putting it down no doubt. Even through the helmet cam perspective. REP_1969 has got it nailed....line choice becomes a different animal at that speed. Makes it a biach always crossing back and forth between the DH and the XC bike. Gotta switch that mentality on and off.

That Hill clip is tasty. Imagine how fast he'd be if he was getting chased by a bear. Oh wait, he's already faster than the bear. :thumbsup:

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
rep_1969 said:
Didn't Atherton come in and win by 14 seconds or something like that?
No. Atherton won at 3 minutes & 12.1 seconds, Peat was 2nd at 3:14.7, amd Hill was 3rd at 3:15.2.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
rep_1969 said:
I didn't know he had another crash.
He fell onto a steel bridge at Fort William World Cup event and hurt his knee. He did not recover well enough to race at the World Championships in Italy.

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Is it normal for those guys to not wear armor during the races? :skep:
There has been a trend of people wearing less armor (WC pros and their emulating youngins) in the past few years, but Worlds is always a bit silly in terms of skin suits and lack of pads. World Champs racer are basically required to wear skin suits by their national federations because if you wear baggies and lose the Worlds by .2 seconds on a 5 minutes course, conventional wisdom sez the skinsuit could have cut those tenths and the people that paid for you to get to that race are gonna be pissed.

Sam's run was insane. His legend grows.

·
My leg feels funny
1,289 Posts
DWF said:

That crash had me yelling at my computer when I first saw it. Hill still had the best run IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.